HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #3211

Now it is about 18C!!! Grey, windy and cool - could get lower in the evening.We definitely need our Jackets when we go outside now.
Old 21-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #3212
Arch-Supremacy Member

I always want to go taipei around this time of the year(feb to march) when it is cooler but cannot find the chance.
The last time i went was in july. The only cool place was yang ming shan when i went early in the morning and the wind was blowing so strongly.

I once had a bowl of beef noodle at zhong xiao area near SOGO. It was a very busy store. Looks to me to be a famous noodle shop, so i decided to try it. One bowl about $5(take away as store was too pack). By the time i ate the noodle it was already too soft. Nvm the noodle, i tried the soup. It was so blend. Not nice at all, i wonder why still so much ppl.

Last edited by History; 21-03-2006 at 03:03 PM..
Old 21-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #3213
tEr

Thanks nuttyazn! Appreciate your helpful posts.
Old 21-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #3214

i hear from friends that it is not common to find currency exchange store in taipei. is it true? i dun really like the idea of carrying stacks of NT around...
Old 21-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #3215
Arch-Supremacy Member

i hear from friends that it is not common to find currency exchange store in taipei. is it true? i dun really like the idea of carrying stacks of NT around...
i haven't seen any money changers around in taipei.

when i was working there, i brought US dollars and changed it into Taiwan dollars at one of the banks.
Old 21-03-2006, 09:21 PM   #3216

Thats correct, no moneychangers here. Most Bank change USD. Some Banks change SGD (Bank of Taiwan changes all currency).
Old 21-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #3217

Thanks nuttyazn! Appreciate your helpful posts.
Hey, it's my pleasure. No Worries.
Old 21-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #3218

i haven't seen any money changers around in taipei.

when i was working there, i brought US dollars and changed it into Taiwan dollars at one of the banks.
Money changers are not commonplace in taipei other than CKS airport. You can go to the banks but it will be a pain.

If you run out of cash, you can draw NT$ from Visa Plus ATMs if need so, but you have to bear in mind that there is an admin fee from your bank and the FX rate will be bank determined, check with your bank for rates.

I would however still recommend you change in SG.
Old 21-03-2006, 09:27 PM   #3219

Thats correct, no moneychangers here. Most Bank change USD. Some Banks change SGD (Bank of Taiwan changes all currency).
Land Bank of Taiwan does SGD I believe.
Old 22-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #3220

Wu Fen Pu / Raohe Nite market

hey guys

something to add on...

Front station under ground mall n Taipei underground mall ( v long stretch) go after 12 pm.

next, if u are gg to this two places, follow this i guess u will not go wrg.

from Taipei main staton(MRT) > go up to railway station.

purchase a NT$ 18 tix (i took a electric tram)(platorm 3/4) towards Songshan railway station (abt 10 mins ride). A bridge tht linked up both areas. if u can see a big chinese temple, tht is - Raohe NM. the Opp will be Wu fen pu.

hope it helps...

bc
Old 22-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #3221

Land Bank of Taiwan does SGD I believe.
hmm....i m not too sure....should be ba....

again a note of advice, pls change enough money over before going to taiwan. if really not enough, pls change it at Taiwan airport(rather than S'pore airport as rates not that good). if still not enough, pls go to local banks. or atm that carry cirrus logo.

for yr info, certain atm machines at level one near the north entrance of the taipei main train station can be used to change currency. and also certain(not all) banks do that too. most local banks in taipei only change usd dollars. have to go and ask the staff inside.

also, i remember e whole of ximenting only have 1/2 banks that do currency exchange. hotels mostly don't have this servie. pls be informed.
Old 22-03-2006, 10:43 AM   #3222

hey guys

something to add on...

Front station under ground mall n Taipei underground mall ( v long stretch) go after 12 pm.

next, if u are gg to this two places, follow this i guess u will not go wrg.

from Taipei main staton(MRT) > go up to railway station.

purchase a NT$ 18 tix (i took a electric tram)(platorm 3/4) towards Songshan railway station (abt 10 mins ride). A bridge tht linked up both areas. if u can see a big chinese temple, tht is - Raohe NM. the Opp will be Wu fen pu.

hope it helps...

bc
The Underground Mall at the Back is longer!!!
Correct in going to Wufenpu and Raohe St. If you are going from the City Center. It is very convenient .
However if you are going from Xinyi i.e. Warner Village area- take a bus -611 or 284 to Wufenpu(Songshan Station Stop.)
Old 22-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #3223

hello...we not really take experience in the Train...but if u are with a grp of 4 or 5 ppl...take cab is the best...bargain the price with the cabber...
Got 2 type of cabber there:
1)dont use meter, will have a fixed price
2)use meter

so if u familar with there, for show distance telll the unker to use meter...

But from Experience, i normally go out i a grp of 4 ppl..so no matter where we go, we take cab..bargain the price with them..they will accept de, coz there is alot of cab there...But remember, dont get cheated when he offer too high $$, check the map first...
the first time i go , that person say $200 then we tot ok..each one $25 onli..but its onli a few street awayt onli..
By the way, me go there 4 times onli, so not tat exp...juz a reference nia lah...enjoy ur trip
Old 22-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #3224

Hi nuttyazn, just book my trip to Taipei from April 7 - 11. Will b staying in Royal Castle hotel like u. Any comments on the hotel? Is it good / clean nt?
Old 22-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #3225

Hi,
I live in Taipei, My home I dont stay at the Royal Castle (Chengdu Hotel).
There have been no complaints about Royal Castle other than a slight longer walk to Ximenting (About 7 mins)The Freego Bus has a pickup and drop off stop at this hotel ,that is convenient. RC is part of the same group as Rainbow.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.