HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #3226
Banned

We did the RuiFang - JiuFen - Keelong thingy yesterday.

Taking the JiuFen bus is quite an experience. As the bus winds its way up the mountain road, you are treated to an excellent view of the bay below. It's a good idea to go at sunset and watch the lights go on as darkness falls on the towns and villages below. There is a viewing platform to facilitate this (you have to tell the driver to let you off at the Jiu Fen Lao Jie). Nearby is a small alley where you can find excellent fishball soup (at $nt25 a pop - cheap!)

Keelong has a great night market, although a section of it was under refurbishment yesterday.

We went by the tram from Taipei station, stopping at Rui Fang to switch to a local bus to go up and down Jiu Fen. From Jiu Fen, there are local buses to Keelong . For our return journey, we opted for the tram from Keelong to Taipei Station. It's under an hour from Keelong to Taipei.

Btw, we noticed that the cut fruits at night market are quite expensive in Taiwan for some reason. Half a pineapple and two "lembu" set us back sgd$10 ($nt 200)! The equivalent in Singapore would scarcely be half of that. Anybody knows why?
Old 23-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #3227
Banned

Thumbs down Cyndi SUCK Faces

Cyndi got so many suck faces in every angles sia...

Old 23-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #3228

Hi,
I live in Taipei, My home I dont stay at the Royal Castle (Chengdu Hotel).
There have been no complaints about Royal Castle other than a slight longer walk to Ximenting (About 7 mins)The Freego Bus has a pickup and drop off stop at this hotel ,that is convenient. RC is part of the same group as Rainbow.
此話当真?U taiwanese?
Old 23-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #3229

Hi,

No , Taiwanese in spirit only. Otherwise an Indian came over from Singapore 21 years ago.
Old 23-03-2006, 01:59 PM   #3230
Banned

Oh, I didn't know that you're an Indian with Singapore roots.

Your command of the English language is comparable, if not better, than the average Singaporean!

So.. did you pick up Mandarin?
Old 23-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #3231

Hi,

I am still Indian national but grew up in Singapore from 1967 onwards before coming over here. My son is Singaporean , now doing his NS.

English, I am forever reading books , magazines e.t.c.

I dont read Mandarin but I do speak it without the "Mama" accent. I learnt it by listening and speaking all the time in Mandarin. Actual practice is better than going to a school to learn it.
After 21 years ,I now think in Mandarin as most people dont speak English. Like when someone asks for the Address or Tel no. I have to write it down in English as it does not come forth immediately, Just the Chinese version pops into my head I joke with people :
I have been assimilated!!!
Old 23-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #3232

Hi,

I am still Indian national but grew up in Singapore from 1967 onwards before coming over here. My son is Singaporean , now doing his NS.

English, I am forever reading books , magazines e.t.c.

I dont read Mandarin but I do speak it without the "Mama" accent. I learnt it by listening and speaking all the time in Mandarin. Actual practice is better than going to a school to learn it.
After 21 years ,I now think in Mandarin as most people dont speak English. Like when someone asks for the Address or Tel no. I have to write it down in English as it does not come forth immediately, Just the Chinese version pops into my head I joke with people :
I have been assimilated!!!
Very interesting background you have there. Equally amazing that you survived 21 years in Taiwan without being able to read Chinese. Although one can probably get by as a tourist in Taipei being so, being actually permanently based there and having to read banks statements, bills and menus in chinese can be a major pain, at least it is for me. With my horrible command of written chinese, often the easiest thing to do is to head into a Mac or Starbucks, counterstaff will normally understand in my mangled mandarin that I want a Big Mac, failing which, I can always point to the pictures, haha.

Based on my limited experiences, I typically don't see that many people of Indian enthnicity living in Taipei, and much less in the other cities. For better or for worst, you must have really stood out particularly since you arrived so many years ago when there weren't as many foreignors around. Are there any particular residential areas where you find concentration of Indians or Singaporeans?

Where do you get your English reading materials? Page One? The place is nicely done up but I tend to prefer the atmosphere at the various Eslite even though there might be less English materials.
Old 24-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #3233

Hi Gray,

I get my reading material at Guanghua (Second hand Books) At the TAS Book Fairs,And I subscribe to Mags. At the same Time I download classics for free to read (23,000 books available) http://www.blackmask.com (Posted this in the Book Nook)

Bills are in English for International trade but I do read numbers (cannot make mistakes with cheques).

I dont know if there is any such concentration of Indians now. They used to be a lot in TianMu and In the Sungchiang area but most have left. The New lot of Indians here are the IT lot, dont know them at all, Many working in the Neihu Ind Park and in Hsinchu .

For resturants: I know what I want to eat, so I order without looking at menus. Most of the Taiwanese joints make the same type of food anyway. ( I'm pretty impressive then)

I always felt at home here. Although I moved here in '84 I used to visit Taiwan since '79. I consider myself lucky to be able to see the growth, economic and political changes (Twn) in Two Countries: Singapore and Taiwan. The thing that stands out the most is that the basic goodness of the average Taiwanese has not changed in 26 years, they are still friendly, helpful e.t.c. as when I first came to visit Taiwan .
Old 24-03-2006, 03:24 PM   #3234

For those that want to go round the Island Free and Easy, There is a special Train ticket for NTD1700 with 7 coupons i.e. you can make 7 stops. So if you were to Go from Taipei To Hualien, To Taitung To Pintung To Kaohsiung To Chiayi To Taichung. To Taipei, It works out a lot cheaper than running back and forth. Ticket valid for 2 weeks (No Backward trip)

I was doing some checks for another forumer on another forum and came upon this info. AND,
Check out this New site, it's real cool. Just move the cursor on the city, then in the smaller map, on the towns.
http://service.tra.gov.tw/en/
Old 24-03-2006, 07:17 PM   #3235

HI, Received this from a forumer from Malaysia at VT.
Hi Ajeet,

I live in YHA Taipei in KMall for the first 2 nights. Then the 3rd night I to
see the tulip, i found the farm in your website. But there is no accomodation to
stay in the farm. So I go back taipei and stayed in The World Scholar Guesthouse
for the 3rd Night.

As for the 4th day, I when to Toucheng Farm. Nothing much to do there. just a
relaxing night with nice scenery.

As for the last 2 night in Taipei, I when back to YHA Taipei in KMall but the
all rooms is occupied due to is was weekend. So the guy ask me to go 15th floor
to check out for another Hostels. It was best I stayed in Taipei. The Hostel is
call YH Taipei. If I'm not mistaken (Actually called : Taipei Key Mall Traveller Hostel) . The assistance was very patient. Her name is Sophie. I had lost her name card Maybe you can pay a visit there. Is in KMall 15th Floor, get the contact no. and distribute to the rest who is planning to go there. is only NTD 490 1 night. share with 6 bed room and in the morning they serve very good breakfast. There is free flow of sandwiches and drink all
day long. Worth the NTD 490.As for our trip in Taipei. We totally spend around NTD 10,000. Exclude the Lee Hom's concert fee. End

Address:15F-2, No.50 , Zhongxiao W Rd Sec 1, (Right opp the Taipei Main Station - Taipei Main Station MRT Exit 4) (Its the only Hostel that serves breakfast) . Booking by Phone or Fax. Tel: 886-2-2311-7272/2381-2550 Fax:886-2-2311-7272
Went to visit today,toilets clean. Metal Cupboards for personal belongings. Coffee Tea facility in the office and fresh bread!! It's a very clean place.Good building security and many high speed elevators.
Old 24-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #3236
Master Member

Hi nuttyazn, does this hostell has a room with bed for 2 persons? Or those kind of double decks for a few people in the room?

This evening the money changer at People's Park Centre is giving 19.80 I think it's a very good rate.

Last edited by damienloh; 24-03-2006 at 11:40 PM..
Old 24-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #3237

3 Double Deck beds for 6 people.Toilet clean.Guys and girls sepatate. Girls have extra security outer door with glass front so they can see who's outside without opening the outer door.
The forumer - 2 young Malaysian girls travelling by themselves for the first time.
Old 25-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #3238
Master Member

I read from the websites that Yang Min Shan (阳明山) is a place to climb the mountains and long hour trekking. Is there anywhere in YMS that look like Shilin Mansion (士林官邸)which has a nice garden? (because people has been saying to go to YMS to see flowers)
Old 25-03-2006, 06:33 PM   #3239

Talking

Hi Gray,

I get my reading material at Guanghua (Second hand Books) At the TAS Book Fairs,And I subscribe to Mags. At the same Time I download classics for free to read (23,000 books available) http://www.blackmask.com (Posted this in the Book Nook)

Bills are in English for International trade but I do read numbers (cannot make mistakes with cheques).

I dont know if there is any such concentration of Indians now. They used to be a lot in TianMu and In the Sungchiang area but most have left. The New lot of Indians here are the IT lot, dont know them at all, Many working in the Neihu Ind Park and in Hsinchu .

For resturants: I know what I want to eat, so I order without looking at menus. Most of the Taiwanese joints make the same type of food anyway. ( I'm pretty impressive then)

I always felt at home here. Although I moved here in '84 I used to visit Taiwan since '79. I consider myself lucky to be able to see the growth, economic and political changes (Twn) in Two Countries: Singapore and Taiwan. The thing that stands out the most is that the basic goodness of the average Taiwanese has not changed in 26 years, they are still friendly, helpful e.t.c. as when I first came to visit Taiwan .
Guanghua Shang Chang @ Baide Road area?? Didn't realise they had book shops there.

What about Singaporeans? Any place where there is a concentration? Tianmu is definitely a nice area with many expats leaving there, last time I was that area had wanted to try Mr. Donuts, as this when they had just opened shop in Taiwan, the queue was crazy and finally decided against it.

Agree with you, generally speaking the Taiwanese are helpful and friendly people, and sad to say, a lot more gracious and socially responsible than Singaporeans in general. Service culture is also alot better, employees will take time to explain the product to you and won't give you the evil eye when you decide not to buy.

As an aside, if I come across any higher ups in the Taiwan tourism authority in the future, would definitely recommend that they hire you as their ambassador at large.
Old 26-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #3240

Guanghua Shang Chang @ Baide Road area?? Didn't realise they had book shops there.

As an aside, if I come across any higher ups in the Taiwan tourism authority in the future, would definitely recommend that they hire you as their ambassador at large.
Ambassador at large

In the Old Guanghua,most people headed up the stairs to theElectronics floor. But going down the stairs tookyou to the Books - Secondhand and new. Most New books are PC related in Chinese. Cd's DVDs. Magazines, Mangas & Comics, Sporting goods, Musical Instruments.

In the New place, I think it is in the first two blocks now, Balance 3 blocks are the PC and peripherals suppliers.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.