HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #4186

chuan3205
Sorry a bit busy after Computex. Also spending time updating company's website. Will get back to you tonight.
Old 14-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #4187
Supremacy Member

osianblue: thanks for the info!! Definitely will check out those places and food.

nuttyazn: Thanks sir! I knew you are busy with the computex..glad that u are taking time out to help me
Old 14-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #4188
Arch-Supremacy Member

nuttyazn, I didn't manage to meet you this time round, but I may go taipei again in July. Will jio you out for tea man!
Old 14-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #4189

Bro,

I am also thinking of heading to Taipei for 5 nights at end July! May I know what package is this, how much it cost? Or is it F&E?

Would appreciate some help here! I'm a Taipei noob!

If anybody is interested I have pictures and a report on TS htoel at www.gordongoh.fotopic.net

Thanks to nuttyanz and all the others for their advice and tips for my trip to Taipei !

My TS hotel report

I stayed in TS hotel from the 7.6.06 to 12.6.06 which is a total of 5 nights. To book the hotel I simply called them at Tel: (02) 2381-8710 and I told them I would like a room for 5 nights and they just took my word for it. To get there you come out from XMD MRT station at exit one turn left, walk along HanZhong road and look out for the TS hotel purple signboard and the hotel itself is on the right side of the road as you walk down from XMD station. It no more than 70 m from the MRT station and about 200 m from the main action area on XMD. (BTW the address it is 170/172 HanZhong road.) We stayed at the 1680 NTD per night room which is small but comfortable enough. It has all the necessary things in a room as in kettle to boil water, empty fridge (who ever eats the stuff in the fridge anyway), soap, shampoo, comb, shaving kit etc. It also has a LCD TV with more than 100 channels for you to choose from. There are of course lots of local Taiwanese chat show programmes along with channels from Japan, ESPN, HBO, discovery, CNN etc to entertain and inform (Live World cup is also being shown on Channel 38 for those interested !). You might also want to bring your personal notebook as well as there is a free broadband internet connection in the room. All you have to do is sign out a cable from the reception desk and you are online. Everything in the room and bathroom is new and the staff do a good job cleaning and tidying up in the morning. There are other rooms to choose from and their price range goes from 2160 NTD to 4760NTD for the TS suites.

The hotel provides morning breakfast from 7.30 am to 10.00 am in what I call their breakfast restaurant as it seems to only serve breakfast. It is a small place which only has about 7 tables with 2 persons per table and one buffet table. The breakfast is simple Chinese breakfast of porridge and various types of “liao” and vegetables (they change the types of vegetables everyday) while the Western breakfast consist of toast bread, egg, ham, sausages, jam etc.

I found the staff really nice at TS hotel and you will undoubtedly get to meet the friendly Miss Su who is the daughter of the owner of the hotel. She is very friendly and knowledgeable on how to get to various places and tips on places to visit etc . Even when she was not sure she would call and look up for further information and get back to us in a very quick time. There are currently 2 other front desk staff who take turns to man the counter. All of them are courteous and very helpful but the one who really stands out is probably Miss Su because she seems to be always on duty and extremely helpful and nice to everybody. The other stuff that work in the breakfast restaurant are just as pleasant and courteous. Being a small hotel and it does not take long for the staff to know you and the service is a lot more personal and sincere than at the bigger hotels I have stayed at. If I were to return to Taipei I would probable stay in TS hotel once more just based on the genuine friendliness of all their staff.
Old 14-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #4190
High Supremacy Member

Hi .. u say can take coach from the terminal next to taipei station, u mean (国道客运台北总站 )?
If take coach it take how long to reach 中港客运站? ah i plan to go back to my hotel which is located @ ximenting tht day.

From 中港客运站 is there any way to go feng jia and tiger shopping?

I wish to do these tour within the day and end of the day go back to ximenting.
Can someone advice me?

If take coach from the terminal next to taipei station, (not sure isit 国道客运台北总站 )?
how long to reach 中港客运站? as i plan to go back to my hotel which is located @ ximenting tht day.

From 中港客运站 is there any way to go feng jia and tiger shopping?

I wish to do these tour within the day and end of the day go back to ximenting.

Last edited by harky; 15-06-2006 at 01:53 AM..
Old 14-06-2006, 11:57 PM   #4191
Supremacy Member

Bro,

I am also thinking of heading to Taipei for 5 nights at end July! May I know what package is this, how much it cost? Or is it F&E?

Would appreciate some help here! I'm a Taipei noob!
i think this is F&E...the person booked this hotel thruout the stay
F&E has more freedom...
Old 15-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #4192

Hi friends

I did not take a package to taiwan. i took on the SIa deal flying for 2 and paid S$928 to the air rickets. Accomadation at TS hotel costs me NTD 8400 for 5 nights. All my other expenses for 2 persons which include transport, food, tickets to the National palace museum, taipei 101 and foodstuff etc costs about in total NTD 9700.
Old 15-06-2006, 03:20 AM   #4193

YAY!
Finally it's my turn to go Taipei tomorrow!

Anyone with any good recommendations, must see, must do, must buy, feel free to list them here yah? Would be bringing my laptop along.

Thanks to all for contributing, this thread really makes my planning so much easier
Old 15-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #4194

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much is the train ticket from Taipei to TaiChung? And how long is the journey?

Thanks
Old 15-06-2006, 03:00 PM   #4195

Hi friends

I did not take a package to taiwan. i took on the SIa deal flying for 2 and paid S$928 to the air rickets. Accomadation at TS hotel costs me NTD 8400 for 5 nights. All my other expenses for 2 persons which include transport, food, tickets to the National palace museum, taipei 101 and foodstuff etc costs about in total NTD 9700.
Bro, thanks for the reply.

Wow your trip works out to be about 900+ per person.. Not bad.. My budget is actually $1200..

I'll be going with four friends, hopefully can fly SQ. I checked out the flight fare, if 4 person block booking, works out to be around $560 pax.

I would like to know more about this TS hotel... Does it have an official website?
Old 15-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #4196
Master Member

Hi all,

I have been silently reading this thread and benefited tremendously from it. Now it's my turn to give back. Just came back from a 6D5N trip to Taipei. Would like to share my itinerary and some lesson learnt....

Day 1 (9 Jun 05)
Touch down Taipei CSK Airport.
Take Free Go Bus to Wonstar Hotel
** Hotel was pre-booked 1 1/2 months back. Just need to call them and re-confirm a day before departure. No credit card info needed.)
** Free Go does not stop exactly in front of the hotel, about 50m down the main road, Zhong Hua Road. Best is to ask driver to inform you when to alight.
Check-in hotel.
** Hotel is new and clean. Most amennities are there. Staff are friendly as well. Broadband access is free. Just need to borrow a network cable from the front desk with a refundable NT 100 deposit. The thing I like best is the 32" LCD TV with 100+ channels. Can watch live World Cup matches in comfort.
Take MRT to Shilin Night Market. (MRT stop is Jian Tan)
** Buy the You You Card like our Ezylink. Save the trouble of having to purchase tickets everytime. There is discount on the fare too as compare to single trip tickets. Cost NT 500 including NT 100 refundable deposit.

Day 2 (10 Jun 06)
Take MRT to Zhong Zheng Memorial Hall.
** Managed to witness the change of guards parade. It happens every hour on the hour.
Take MRT to Jian Tan and transfer to Bus 220 to Tian Mu.
** Lunch at PS Bu Bu. Every quiet place with not much crowd. No need to make reservation unless you want to sit in the full car table.
** Shop around Tian Mu. A few shops selling branded rejects. Nothing much actually.
Take cab to Gu Gong Museum.
** One of the top 4 museums in the world. Visit if you have the time.
Take bus to Jian Tan and transfer to MRT to Wufenpu (MRT stop is Hou Shan Pi)
Rao He Night Market

Day 3 (11 Jun 06)
Zhong Xiao Road and shop around.
** There are road side stalls on weekends.
** Can lunch at Ming Yao or Ding Tai Feng
Xi Meng Ding
** Quite happening on a weekend.
Hua Xi Night Market
** More of a eating place with a few snake restaurants. NT 250 for a set meal. Not bad if you want to try eating snake.

Day 4 (12 Jun 06)
** First and only day that it did not rain! Do decided to go on a day trip out of Taipei city.
From Taipei main bus station, take Guo Guang Bus Yeliou.
** From Taipei Station MRT stop follow signs to Guo Guang Main Station. There are a few Guo Guang Bus Sation around e.g. West Station, East Station, North Station. Make sure you go to the correct one. Look for the Guo Guang counter and purchase tickets to Yeliou. It should be Bus 19.
** The bus stops by the main road of Yeliou. After which you need to walk about 10 min to the scenic area. Remember to tell the bus driver you are going Yeliou so that he can advise you where to alight.
Take Keelung bus to Keelung for transit to Jiu Fen
** From the bus stop opposite where you alighted earlier, take the Keelung bus. There is only one Keelung bus. Fare is NT 44. From Keelung, take a bus to Jiu Fen. Fare is also NT 44
** We happened to meet another couple going Jiu Fen and we shared a cab there instead.
** Jiu Fen is a nice place. Do spend time exploring the area, sip tea and buy Tai Yang Bing of course. Also try the fish ball soup.
** We tried tea Ah Mei Tea House. NT 800 for 2 depending the tea selection.
** All in all, not too difficult to travel around on your own.
Keelung and Miao Kou Night Market.
** Take Keelung bus from Jiu Fen to Keelung. The bus terminates at the terminal. If you want to go to Miao Kou, it's about 1-2 bus stops before the terminal. Ask driver or the locals on board to advise you where to stop.
Take a train back to Taipei.
** Fare is NT 43. Think it is even cheaper than taking bus.

Day 4 (13 Jun 06)
** Originally wanted to go Yang Ming Shan. But because of the rain, cancelled the trip.
Hotspring at Beitou
** Take MRT to Beitou. From there either wait for free shuttle provided by some hotspring places or take a cab.
** Went to Asia Pacific Hotspring and took a 1 hr private bath package. NT 1000 for 2 persons. It is open air and it was quite an experience.
Take MRT to Danshui.
** I think Danshui is more vibrant on weekends. But still a nice place to visit. Took a boat ride to Yu Ren Ma Tou.
** Try the Ah Ma Sour Plum Soup.
Shilin Night Market.
** Booked Free Go Bus for transfer to airport the next day which is a mistake. Free Go pick up is at East Dragon Hotel which is 50m from Wonstar. And pick up time is every hour on the hour. Moreover hotel charge more when book though them, NT 170 as compared to NT 135. Read more about the unpleasant encounter later.

Day 6 (14 Jun 06)
Last minute shopping.
** Proceed to East Dragon Hotel 10 min before pick up time. A small van came 10 min past the schedule time. It then proceed to other hotels to pick up other passengers. After which we were brought to the Free Go bus stop. We then waited for another 10 min for the actual Free Go bus to transfer us to airport. In total it took us 1 hr and 45 min to reach the airport from the time we were supposed to pick up from East Dragon. A better alternative is to take a cab to Taipei Station which is no more than NT 80. From there take a Guo Guang coach to the airport which departs every 15 min.

Last edited by LifeIsSuch; 16-06-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 15-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #4197

Hey, Nice of you to post your trip report.
Correct on the bus to Airport too.
Bus Station:
Also if you think there is a long queue for bus into the city for Freego or a long wait, Just take the Guoguang bus to Taipei Main Station and then a cab to your Hotel. In Ximenting most destinations are below NTD100/-(NTD10 per bag in the boot)

Last edited by nuttyazn; 15-06-2006 at 04:28 PM..
Old 15-06-2006, 04:33 PM   #4198

Bro, thanks for the reply.
I would like to know more about this TS hotel... Does it have an official website?
Their Website should be up shortly. In the meantime this is not very clear but should be okay: Anyway, direct report from forumers is better than any advert.
Ta Shun Hotel - credit to Hongz for finding it!!

Cinnamo's Pics of Ta Shun

Last edited by nuttyazn; 15-06-2006 at 04:36 PM..
Old 15-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #4199

Hi all,

Does anyone know how much is the train ticket from Taipei to TaiChung? And how long is the journey?

Thanks
HI,
Why dont you use this easy Link and get the info including times, Fares e.t.c.
Train Schedules and fares
Old 15-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #4200

HI,
Why dont you use this easy Link and get the info including times, Fares e.t.c.
Train Schedules and fares
Hi nuttyazn,

Thanks for your info. It's really very useful.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.