Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #436
pop
Master Member

pop's Taiwan JBR

Just returned from my trip last night. Prior to travelling, I have benefitted immensely from the information provided by members here. I thought I should continue the goodwill and so I'm doing a Just Back Report (JBR). Hopefully some people may find it useful. And anyway, it is a pleasure to share.

I arrived on 31 Dec to a very cold Taipei evening. Ordinarily, Taipei winter is cool, but not cold. But there was a cold wave sweeping Taiwan for the next 3 days, with temperatures dipping to 5C in Taipei and it even snowed on Yangming Mountain, which is a rare occurence even for the locals. Those travelling now, should always bring an umbrella and sufficient warm clothings.

I stayed at the Keyman's Hotel, a recommendation by Naomi9112. No regrets. Excellent location, the airport bus station is just right across the road, and so are the railway station and MRT station. Plenty of shops around and lots and lots of eateries from local fares to international fast food joints, all around it. They charged me NT1660 per night.

Spent a night at Hualian minsu, this one recommended by Beyondgal. Again, no regrets. The hosts are a very hospitable couple. I think for them is more about hosting guests than making money. Not much to see around the house, but within walking distance away is a spectacular seaside. It has a coastal bike track that stretches I think 8km, offering spectacular costal views. I used the bike they provided and cycled to & fro much to the astonishment my hosts who had earlier warned me not many of their guests can cover that distance. The package also offered a near fully-day tour of Taroko Gorge which is a "must see" if you go hualian. To me, it should be one of the seven wonders. Very cold when I was there.

Also, spent a night at a jiufen minsu, recommended by a taiwanese friend. But while the property offers a stunning view of the moutains and sea, I was let down by the service. It is not minsu at all, I would call it a small hotel. I was left alone there for the night, no owner, no staff, no guests. Just me and one big property on a cold and stormy winter night that rained all night. But jiufen's misty moutains and the old streets are really romantic. Like it a lot. From there, I took a bus to Keelung's Miao Kou night market, very different from shilin, well organised, lively but not too crowded.

Also, visited Danshui's Fisherman's Wharf and the night market next the MRT station. I somehow didn't like Shilin night market because it was too crowded.

I took a day tour from a tour agency that covers keelung, Yeliu and jiufen where they dropped me off there to spent the night. Next day, it was easy taking the bus to ruifang and then the train back to taipei. I also bought my own train tix to & from hualian.

I've skipped the shopping centres, ximending, and the historical or cultural monuments. My main priority is sightseeing the natural beauty of taiwan. I managed to find time to go Yangming Moutain on my last day, and didn't regret it. The maple leaves were in shades of green, yellow, orange & red, not a lot of them, but enough cos I've never seen autumn colors before. The peach flowers and plum flowers too were just beginning to bloom.

Overall, despite the cold and rainy weather, I've thoroughly enjoyed my trip and am thinking of going back soon. And oh, yes, tried lots and lots of local food. Maybe I'm just lucky, but almost everything I ate, tasted real good. The street hawker food quality seem to be very high. And no problem on the stomach too.

Any question, just ask. Hope I can help other's Taiwan trip enjoyable too.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:41 PM   #437

anyone can confirm if shops are open as per normal during CNY.... ?

friend told me that shops will be in operation during that period.... except for those office worker will be having long holi...
Old 08-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #438
Supremacy Member

anyone can confirm if shops are open as per normal during CNY.... ?

friend told me that shops will be in operation during that period.... except for those office worker will be having long holi...
i think their shops r open durian CNY, unlike s'pore
Old 08-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #439
Supremacy Member

is it good to visit taipei during chinese new year period?
should be good, there r sales during that time
Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #440

hi pop..
glad to hear you have enjoyed yr trip.. ^O^
taiwan is a nice place...i luv it alot...
too bad u din hv enuff time to cover ken ding..
that is also a great place..a small town but with fantastic scene...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #441
pop
Master Member

hi pop..
glad to hear you have enjoyed yr trip.. ^O^
taiwan is a nice place...i luv it alot...
too bad u din hv enuff time to cover ken ding..
that is also a great place..a small town but with fantastic scene...
ya, can't wait to go back again. next time, would aim for the central and southern regions.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:52 AM   #442
Master Member

do u all think $50/60 a day is enough forr food and minimal shopping?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #443
pop
Master Member

the food part is easy to answer, the shopping really depends on what you want to buy.

For food, I find the costs about the same as or cheaper than singapore. If you buy, say, a bowl or plate of noodles from the street shops or stalls, it should be about NT40 or 50, about $2-2.5 here.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #444
Supremacy Member

must see where u have ur food, those lu bian tan should be quite cheap, but as for food court, the price should be around same as s'pore

as for shopping, must see where u shop oso
Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #445
Master Member

i see..i think $50 for food is enough right? if shopping at wu fen pu is the cheapest?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 PM   #446
Supremacy Member

if u skip meals and only have a full dinner, u will survive fine on food money
Old 10-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #447

i think their shops r open durian CNY, unlike s'pore
hmm "think" ? can i hv confirm answer not ?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #448

indoor water theme park?

I'm going to Taipei in Feb and its my first time there. Remembered watching a Taiwan variety show (it was a Xu Nai Ling + Zheng Guo Cheng show) 1 or 2 yrs ago where they went to this indoor water theme park containing a giant sink. The losers have to jump into the sink and slide down the center hole... seems very fun. Anyone knows the name and location of this place? Tried searching the net but cannot find, hope somebody here can enlighten me.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #449
Supremacy Member

hmm "think" ? can i hv confirm answer not ?
confirm open and got sale summore
Old 10-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #450
Supremacy Member

i see..i think $50 for food is enough right? if shopping at wu fen pu is the cheapest?
50 for breakfast, lunch and dinner? should be enough for those foodcourt

wu fen pu is cheap, but u noe mah, 一分钱一分货
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.