HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #5101
Master Member

Ms Liu dun need deposit. But she told me xiaomyst taught her a way to call SG handphone free. But need us to register some internet account. dunno what. maybe can ask xiaomyst about it.

she's worried tht pple dun make good their words. but so far, the SGians here still quite ok. I booked her room before i went taiwan (2 wks adv). then before i left SG, i confirmed with her again. And on the nite b4 i went over, i called her again.

MongMenKeZan, forget it. very old looking. initially i tot to stay there, but in the end, my plan shows that i'll still managed to go back to taipei after night falls in jiufen. Main thing is i wanna see the night scenary in jiufen.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:44 PM   #5102

Ms Liu didn't ask me for deposit, it's LongMenKeZan which does. Anyway, I've booked with Ms Liu already, she sounds friendly and because of all the recommendations, I think it should be a good place. She told me to just call her the day before to confirm.
I intend to stay in JiuFen because I want to visit YeLiu and JiLong in the morning the day after, then return to TaiPei in the evening.
Old 25-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #5103

Called Neijiang Hotel and just as I have expected, the quad rooms are not just $100-$300 more than double rooms.

Here's the deal. There are 3 types of double room (4 if the one without fridge is counted) available which cost $1280, $1380 and $1480 on Monday to Thursday. Extra $200 for Friday to Sunday. The confusion arose because the hotel website on showed 2 types so I assumed that the highest price listed is actually that for the quad room. In fact, the quad room costs $2200. No extra charge for weekends. Btw, additional bed is at $500 per person.

At the same time, I have some questions for the experts here. Your answers are greatly appreciated.

One older guide book I read mentioned that there would be a free transfer to one MRT bus if transfer were done within 2hrs. However, recent guidebooks didn't mention this at all. Has the MRT company removed this privilege?

Noticed that bus stops are always drawn on one side of the road. Does that mean that the bus stops on in one direction or the bus stop in the opposite direction is actually nearby as well?

Is it better to visit Bitan in Xindian in the day or night?

I heard that Wu Fen Pu sells mainly youngster clothings. Is there a similar place for older people?

Heard that the observation tower at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi is closed. Is it temporary or permanent?
Old 26-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #5104

Called Neijiang Hotel and just as I have expected, the quad rooms are not just $100-$300 more than double rooms.
Thanks for the update.

older guide book I read mentioned that there would be a free transfer to one MRT bus if transfer were done within 2hrs.
MRT to Bus and vice Versa within one hour is discounted (Not Free anymore)
The MRT travel already has an automatic 20% discount now.

Noticed that bus stops are always drawn on one side of the road. Does that mean that the bus stops on in one direction or the bus stop in the opposite direction is actually nearby as well?
Buses going in one direction does not necessarily come back the same way on the opp side. Those that do follow the reverse route. The Bus stops are generally nearby across the road.

Is it better to visit Bitan in Xindian in the day or night?
Check out clarity's post early Aug for Bitan INfo:

I heard that Wu Fen Pu sells mainly youngster clothings. Is there a similar place for older people?
Like How Old Office type of clothes are found at Stores like Net, Kuda, Att ,Themo e.t.c. Also shops along Po Ai Rd and the Chengzhong Market off Wuchang St Nearby. The Summer sales have just started .
Heard that the observation tower at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi is closed. Is it temporary or permanent?
Permanent

Last edited by nuttyazn; 26-09-2006 at 10:02 AM..
Old 26-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #5105

The tour is not charged by the minsu lady. So you're welcome to look for other avenues.

If u're going Taroko, the cheapest way for a couple is via bike. Its a very straight-forward route. Rental is NT$300 excluding petrol. Traffic in Hualien is very good, not terrible like Taipei. Alternatively, i believe car rental should be about NT$1500 excluding petrol. You call call the minsu owner to find out cost.
I agree with Shadus, the tour is charged by the transport u r taking.. that time i took a taxi tour cost 2500 and 4 of us are in the comfy air-con cab touring the taroko and all nice places for almost 10hrs... so i think worth it..

If 2 person, take other transport better...
Old 26-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #5106

Ms Liu dun need deposit. But she told me xiaomyst taught her a way to call SG handphone free. But need us to register some internet account. dunno what. maybe can ask xiaomyst about it.

she's worried tht pple dun make good their words. but so far, the SGians here still quite ok. I booked her room before i went taiwan (2 wks adv). then before i left SG, i confirmed with her again. And on the nite b4 i went over, i called her again.

MongMenKeZan, forget it. very old looking. initially i tot to stay there, but in the end, my plan shows that i'll still managed to go back to taipei after night falls in jiufen. Main thing is i wanna see the night scenary in jiufen.
eh, i didnt know i taught her that.. hahaha.. but i think it's the common internet voice we are using.. SKYPE.. so popular now.. once u hook up, u can dial to the id.. as long as u have internet access and the online download software which are all free..

i did the same as Shadus.. i called her 2 weeks before 2 book and let her know which day i am coming, after reaching taiwan went to buy hualien train tickets call her again to confirm timing & the train i am coming.. she and her guide will be there to pick us up.. so far, she is happy with SGians coming to her place.. no truant, no gimmicks.. and no deposits....
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #5107
Master Member

oh, SKYPE ah... but how can SKYPE can my handphone for example? can meh?
Old 26-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #5108

anyone knows where can i get calling cards from tw taipei to call back to singapore??
tryin to buy one to call back ye..
i bought mine at airport.. NTD345, u can make a lot of calls and sms... really for me & my mum.. practically everyday a few sms back home and around 5-7calls.. i still left with around NTD78.. got expiry till next yr march.. if u need it, i can pass it to u.. u just get it topped up at the airport before u take the freego will do... the ladies there are friendly and can help u..

by the way, the shop is on the left when u r out of the arrival hall.. which Chuan has mentioned in his very early post that they do have 99NTD free calling card for which the promotions has ceased on Jun 06.
Old 26-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #5109

oh, SKYPE ah... but how can SKYPE can my handphone for example? can meh?
as long as they pay.. hahaha.. so SKYPE is used free on both internet accounts worldwide...
Old 26-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #5110
Master Member

actually, my (IMO) advise for taiwan is always carefully consider the price offered to you. Taiwanese are v. good business pple and sleek & smooth talkers. sometimes, they can talk until u think u got a fantastic deal. On top of that, they know how to provide good service. They can be at your wimps & fancy so much so that you'll feel v. paisei & feel u really wanna tip the person for such services.

main thing is be sure u dun mind commiting the price and also make sure u know v. clearly why u use certain services. otherwise, end of day, u'll feel cheated.

we encounter such a case on our way to alishan. instead of using the normal direct transport NT$200, we use a mini-bus service which will bring you to more places along the way NT$400. then instead of going for the hotel we decided initially, we let the person book the hotel for us. the guy is a real talker! but when he ask us to book hotel, i put forth very clearly my expectation, coz at least i'm familiar with glib tongue taiwanese and weight the cost of using his services. end of day, we had a pretty ok time. but we know of couples from overseas who felt let-down and didnt enjoy the trip at all.

conclusion is. dun feel pressured to use any services in taiwan. u can say no. also, everything can be negotiated. also, if u're on F&E, make sure u know where u want to go and the rough price of doing it. keep to ur budget.
Old 26-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #5111
Master Member

i guess in most asian countries is like tht lor. i enjoy the banter and the little trussle that needs to happen everytime we negotiate a service price. its like trying to find out whether the other party is out to trick u or just sincerely recommending good services. so sometimes, i do encounter pple who really just wanna make money off you. its a challenge to discover the person. for me, i enjoy such sessions of countering the sales-person and trying to play the same thing back on him.

but my wife on the other hand, dun enjoy it. for her, japan is the ideal country. price is standardised across the entire nation! no need bargain. no need fear being cheated.
Old 26-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #5112

i guess in most asian countries is like tht lor. i enjoy the banter and the little trussle that needs to happen everytime we negotiate a service price. its like trying to find out whether the other party is out to trick u or just sincerely recommending good services. so sometimes, i do encounter pple who really just wanna make money off you. its a challenge to discover the person. for me, i enjoy such sessions of countering the sales-person and trying to play the same thing back on him.

but my wife on the other hand, dun enjoy it. for her, japan is the ideal country. price is standardised across the entire nation! no need bargain. no need fear being cheated.
Shadus, i think u r the typical bargaining Sporean.. can be woman good at bargaining and testing water.. then your wife is a typical man who dont like to bargain just give 1 fixed price will do.. p)

For me, i like to bargain too.. and really enjoy it... even though sometimes dont get good bargains but at least i tried..
Old 26-09-2006, 11:49 AM   #5113

Nuttyazn, i like your icon leh.. such a nice dove..
Old 26-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #5114
Master Member

wahahaha. funny way to put it. my wife is actually a very "little woman" type...haha. cant stand it sometimes ;p. like she'll keep on wondering (AFTER the event) whether we shd hv took a bike (NT$300) instead of cab (NT$2000) to Taroko. While i'm just glad (silently glad that is) that i paid NT$2000. coz weather is sooo hot (i cant stand heat) and imagine me riding, looking at map, searching, finding toilet for her etc..... haha. dun tell her that though :p
Old 26-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #5115
Master Member

talking about calling cards, yes, its v. worth it to get a pre-paid sim card.
i've no choice but auto-roam due to company requirements. my final bill is almost $200 and this is only like <1 hr total calling time (including SMS)

oh, btw, any photos to share?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.