HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2006, 06:41 PM   #5971
Arch-Supremacy Member

Do u guys give tips while travellin in taiwan? Give who and usually arounf how much?
nvr give...
Old 23-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #5972
Master Member

mind share wif me why this "ching jing" farm so popular wif forumers here? when i was in taiwan for a while, nvr even hear of this "ching jing"
My Taiwan friend advised to avoid going there during weekends and holidays. Traffic could be pack on the road heading there.
Old 23-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #5973
Master Member

I got an offer to relocate to Taipei... Damn tempting sia...
hmm. hard decision.
Old 24-11-2006, 01:35 AM   #5974

Taipei 4D3N Tour

Fellow forummers, kindly offer your advice and suggestion on my itinerary to make it more fufilling and of course greatly appreciated if you could provide directions to the places that i have mentioned.

Dec ’06 (4D3N Taipei Trip) 1 to 4 Dec

Taipei weather: High 26 low 20 (Rainy and cold weather)

Dress code: Long sleeves and a jacket

Get travel charger 2 pin 110v

Must Gets-

1) 2 tourist passes and the free prepaid card at the Airport.

2) 2 Adult MRT pass at the Info counter at the Taipei Main Station. NT500 including deposit NT100. You can refund all back before you leave Taipei. Taipei City Map- at the MRT Station Info counter or there is a rack at the side where you can take one.

Hotel: The Miramar garden Taipei 台北美麗信花園酒店

台北市中山區市民大道三段83 (Can anyone comment on where is it exactly, near which mrt stop)

Day 1 (1 Dec, Fri)

1130: Arrive at Changi airport for check-in and lunch

1300: Board the plane!

1800: Arrive at Taipei CKS airport– Look for bus service for transportation to Miramar garden hotel. (NT 150 normally- 1 to 11/2 hrs)

1930: Check-in at Miramar garden hotel

2015: Chiong to Shilin for dinner and shopping! Direction: Take the MRT to Jiantan (Chien Tan) Station use exit 1, cross the road and you can walk towards Shilin Night Market. Take to MTR station "XI MEN"(Hsimen).

Shilin food must trys

1. IchiBan Beef Steak
2. XXL Chicken
3. Da Bin Bao Xiao Bin
4. Pao Pao Bing
5. Hu Jiao Bing

6. Purple corn

7. Mian mian bing (icy desserts)

8. Leng mian (cold noodle)

2345: Catch the last train back to hotel to put stuff.

0030: Pubbing- Choose 1

1) Lava Bar - Near to Warner Village

2) Party Room - Core Pacific Living Mall (Jing1 Hua2 Cheng2)

3) Room 18, in building Neo19 next to NewYork^2. Many celebrities hang out.

4) MOS behind the Miramar on your Far left. A big square Building.

Day 2 (2 Dec, Sat)

0830: Morning call!

0915: Breakfast in nearby stalls

0945: Leave for Longshan Temple (Can anyone give directions)

1045 - Leave for C.K.S Memorial Hall (Remember to catch the changing ceremony which takes place hourly!) (Can anyone give directions)

1145: Proceed to Guang Hua Complex market lots cheap electronic stuff, lots comic shops and vcd/dvd. Mrt stop Zhongxiao Xinsheng Exit 4 > Turn right, walk to second junction , turn left, walk 2 mins to new location. Manga shops located in blk 1 and 2.

1330: Proceed to Zhongxiao Fuxing (SOGO. Dept Store)/Dunhua for shopping

Jacky Wu's "Tang Sui" / Desert shop? Tang Chao

Direction: Take MRT to ZhongXiao DunHua station. Exit 4

Jay's Omni (2-11pm)
No. 52 Dun Hua Nan Road Section 1 Lane 161
Direction: MRT ZhongXiao DunHua Exit 2

1430: Proceed to Taipei, Warner Village, Mitsukoshi Dept Store, NYNY – Taipei City Hall station and take their free shuttle bus to Taipei 101– 101 area is super up market type like A/X and DKNY type. Inside all branded stuff like paragon Singapore. Basement got one supermarket Jason. Lots of chio ppl here. - explore underground malls as well You can lunch here as well; Indonesian, Filipino Western and Local . Abt NT120+ per head max or behind isetan there got one Jap style steam boat cum BBQ. Worth it

1730: Proceed to Wu Fen Pu. Explore the wholesale clothes centre for bargains! Directions: take Mrt to the YongChun exit 1. MTR stop Houshanpi exit 4 and take a 5 min walk to an area called WuFenPu

2000: Proceed to Raohe Night market for light dinner and shopping

2200: Proceed to Shilin for more food and shopping. Explore ard and u might be able to find a pet street in shilin and along the way go down the escalator to B2, there is a mini-go-kart there. We spend 300NT for 13mins racing. VERY FUN!!!

0100: Take a cab to eslite 24-hr bookshop and back to hotel for well-deserved rest!

Day 3 (3 Dec, Sun)

0730: Wake up!

0815: Breakfast in nearby stalls

0900: Leave for Jiufen – Take MRT to Taipei Main Station – Underground link to Railway Station – Buy tickets to Rui Fang Station (around NT40) –It is very near the Train STN, go across the road and take a bus (NT19, 10-15 minutes ride) toward jinguashi direction and drop off at jiufen. Journey around 50 minutes long.

1030: Reach Jiufen – Things to look out for: Jiufen Chuan Tong Yu Wan (for early lunch), Teahouses with a killer view, City of Sadness site.

Things to buy

1. Ma shu, gummy type of sweet.

2. Biscuits manned by a spectacled lady

1300: Proceed to Keelung, there's a bus from Jiufen to Keelung, takes u abt 40 mins. (Can anyone give directions)

Miao Kou Seafood Market once u rch keelung...cross the overhead bridge...go down the stairs on ur left and walk straight. Ask the pple there...dun worry. They are frenly pple...u shld rch miao kou jie within 10 mins – Check out: Crab soup, Butter crab

1430: Proceed to Dan Shui - Take bus back to Ruifang railway station – train back to Taipei main station – MRT to Dan Shui station

1630: Reach Dan Shui

Danshui food must trys
1. Ah Geh's noodle
2. 30 cm Ice cream
3. Ah ma Tie Dan -> proceeds on to Lao Jie – (Look out for a bag shop that sells bags at 50NT!!! It is worth going. Ask around & the ppl there will guide you)

Things to buy

1. Local stuff such as Sun Biscuit

1800: Proceed to Yu Ren Ma Tou (Take shuttle red bus 26 at a bus stop near the Danshui MTR STN. (The queue for the boat to Yurenmatou will be crowded. Lover Bridge lighted at ard 7pm

1845: Ferry ride back to Danshui (Boat Tix = 40NT) Dinner eat bbq food.

2015: Proceed to Jiantan MRT – Take shuttle bus to Miramar – Take Ferris wheel

2130: Proceed back to Ximending for shopping and snacks. 11pm almost no ppl liao

Ximending food must trys
1. Ah Zhong Mee Sua
2. Ya Rou Bian
3. Sun Bro Dessert
4. Duck Tongue

5. HongSao Niu RoMien.

2330: Hotel sweet hotel!

Day 4 (4 Dec, Mon)

0730: Sunshine

0815: Breakfast at outside stalls

0900: Proceed to Xin Beitou MRT for hot spring bath

0945: Reach Xin Beitou – Search for hot spring resort. 都北投温泉会馆 (Spa Spring Resort) recommended. Reason being it looks big and nice and also the Tourist Pass allows for discount. Price is about NT800 for 3 people or NT1500 for private. Bring swimming attire if you want to try all the indoor and outdoor pools. Otherwise you are just stuck to the Men's / Women's Bathing Area where you can soak naked. A mini-bus by the resort brings us back to Xin Beitou MRT.

1130: Back to hotel for check out

1230: Lunch at Ximending area MalaHoGuo Ci Lin south road no32西寧南路32 near Rainbow hotel – Jalan jalan everywhere!

1530: Reach Taipei Main Station – Take bus back to CKS Airport

1825: Flight back to Singapore!
Old 24-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #5975

DON"T bring long john's unless you are planning to go camping on Jade mountain or spending sometime on Alishan. Good heavy jeans will do. Lined Sports Jacket should do. Also Just wear layers, and take off a layer when you feel warm.
Old 24-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #5976

hmm does anyone knows how to get to ching jing farm from hua lien??
By Cab, will cost you about NTD4,500/- Or by train Via Taipei To Taichung, then Bus to Puli, then from Puli to Farm by bus.
Old 24-11-2006, 02:41 PM   #5977
Supremacy Member

Fellow forummers, kindly offer your advice and suggestion on my itinerary to make it more fufilling and of course greatly appreciated if you could provide directions to the places that i have mentioned.
your itinerary very detailed

I'm not too sure about the location of your Hotel, have u tried looking for a map which can show u the location exactly? Or you may ask nuttyazn for help as he can be considered as a local over there. In my opinion, dont have to list down what are the must try - what you see, you eat! Everything die die must try, arboh where got experience!? Haa!

Also, every night, whenever you finish the programme early, you can juz proceed to XMD or Shihlin again 'cuz one night for each place is simply not enough!!

Take a look at this MRT map, detailed with the places of interest in each station: http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8663/mrtuk5.jpg

This will prob help u plan the route properly without detouring one big round

For your Day 2, this is my route previously:

Early morning, ready by 0820hrs: CKS Memorial Hall (CKS MH MRT) => SYS Memorial Hall (SYS MH MRT)
=> Taipei 101 via shuttle bus, don’t go if it’s rainy day (Free shuttle bus from Taipei City Hall MRT exit 2,on your right side, many bus stops, one has board "Free 101"), NYNY, Warner Village, Guanghua Elec Mart (new location: MRT Stop Zhongxiao Xinsheng > Exit 4 > Turn right, walk to second junction, turn left, walk 2 mins)
=> Shop ard Zhong Xiao Area
=> lunch @Din Tai Feng (Zhong Xiao Xin Sheng Station, 信義路二段194號); IceMonster nearby (Turn left once exit from DTF and walk into the alley.)
=> Jacky Wu Tang Chao (Dessert Shop) (Take MRT to Zhongxiao Dun Hua station and get out at exit No.4)
=> ~4pm: To WuFenPu (opposite the Houshanpi MRT (Blue Line) Alt way: via Bus No 611 and 284 outside Warner Village. Your alighting stop is "Songshan Rd.", which comes a few stops after MRT "Yongchun Station" stop and immediately after "Yung Ji Elementary School" stop.
=> Raohe Night Market
=> Return via TRAIN to Taipei Main Station from Songshan.
=> Go night markets (Shi Da/Gonguan/Xingnan) or XMD if got time

Other days seem ok to me, have fun!!
Can contact me via email - chuan3205@gmail.com

p.s. Somehow i think you will wanna extend ur trip
Old 24-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #5978

the itinerity is very tiring... by the 3rd day, u will be too tired to move liao...
Old 24-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #5979

thanks for the prompt reply. Yea seeing all these, i think it is very possible for me to extend a day or 2. Anyway even with the map in hand, im still not sure where is my hotel actually. lol

It will be tiring but its only 4 days so i believe we can survive it.

1 more thing, from the airport to the taipei main station needs abt 1 hr by coach, if i decide to take a cab how long would it roughly take.
Old 24-11-2006, 09:09 PM   #5980

thanks for the prompt reply. Yea seeing all these, i think it is very possible for me to extend a day or 2. Anyway even with the map in hand, im still not sure where is my hotel actually. lol

It will be tiring but its only 4 days so i believe we can survive it.

1 more thing, from the airport to the taipei main station needs abt 1 hr by coach, if i decide to take a cab how long would it roughly take.
if u have 1 more day will be gd... to go jiufen, keelung and then to dan shui is really quite tired... might nt be able to see the place in detail oso.
think most of us go jiufen, miao kou, keelung in 1 day... then beitou springs, dan shui, yu ren ma tou on 1 day. (i thinking of planning this way)
nt sure if its advisable to skip the shopping on the 2nd day or not...

but i really must commend u on the detailed itinery. u have done ur homework well! enjoy ur trip
Old 24-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #5981
Master Member

just came back from taipei, below are the summary of my trip and i hope the information will be useful for those going taipei soon

Thursday, 16 Nov 2006

Arrived Taoyuan Airport at 1840 hours, proceed to City Inn Hotel via Free Go Bus ( 飛狗巴士 ) cost NT$135. The driver drop me outside Taipei Train Station which is opposite 新光三越, cross the road and walk less than 1 min to the hotel.

City Inn Hotel ( 新驛旅店 ) : Highly recommended to those going taipei this year. They've extended 50% discount promotion until end of Dec. The location is very good, 5 mins walking distance to Taipei MRT and Taipei Train Station. Surrounding got so many breakfast shops ( 永和豆浆, 美而美 etc) and shopping area such as Taipei Underground Shopping Mall, K Mall, 新光三越, 後車站 etc. As the hotel was newly opened in Oct, everything are new and they've big LCD tv, 100+ channels, hair dryer, shampoo, shower cream, toothbrush, shower cab, shaver, slipper etc. i paid total NT$7020/S$336 for 5 nights twin sharing without breakfast.

After check-in the hotel I went to Shilin Night Market. Foods are nice and specially highly recommended 红油抄手, the 1st store on your right (facing the shilin market). A must must try and don't miss it, i ate 3 bowls of it

PS: Recommend you to buy a prepaid card from either Far East Tone ( 遠傳 ) or Taiwan Mobile ( 台灣大哥大 ). I bought my prepaid card from Far East Tone shop, there's 1 near to City Inn Hotel, cost NT$350. Remember to bring passport, 1 passport can only buy 1 prepaid card. NT$350 lasted me for my 6 days of uncountable international and local calls. On my last day still got balance of NT$60. Just for info, to check balance of Far East Tone preparid card, dial 777 and press 2.

Friday, 17 Nov 2006

Jiufen ( 九份 ): Took the train to Ruifang Train Station ( 瑞芳火車站 ). Once came out from the station cross the road to the bus stop to take Keelong Bus ( 基隆客運 ) to Jiufeng. Try the famous 九份芋圆, 综合鱼圆, 黑糖糕 etc.

After Jiufen proceed to Keelung Night Market ( 基隆廟口夜市 ). I took the Keelong Bus ( 基隆客運 ) from Jiufen and it took about an hour to reach there. My advise is better don't eat too full if you're going to take the bus from Jiufen to Keelong. I felt like throwing out through out the whole journey. I would recommend taking train instead as it is faster and also more comfortable.

As for Keelung Night Market, nothing much franky speaking. I tried 油饭, fried crab, 旗魚飯, 面线羹 etc but only the 油饭 is nice, the rest so so. I really think can give Keelung night market a miss, or maybe I miss out something?

After Keelung I went to Shilin Market again, this time round focus on shopping, most shops open until 2am on Fri & Sat.

Saturday, 18 Nov 2006

Hot Spring at Asia Pacific Resort ( 亞太溫 泉館 ). I booked the private open air room ( 露天個人湯屋 ) 1hr/2 pax for NT$1,250. Free shuttle bus to and from Beitou and New Beitou MRT station.

Danshui ( 淡水 ): I took MRT from beitou to danshui, less than 15 mins distance. Tried their famous 阿给, 綜合鱼圆, 鱼酥, 铁蛋, ice-cream etc. Didn't go to Fisherman's Wharf ( 漁人碼頭 ) cause is too early. Nothing much as this was my 2nd time at danshui so spent less than 3 hours there.

Wu Fen Pu ( 五分舖 ): Selling only winter cloths now, so for those who really into shopping will be disappointed. I only managed to get a pant at NT$380 after few hours of shopping

Rou He Night Market ( 繞河夜市 ): Walked to Rou He Night Market from 五分舖 about 15 mins distance. Tried their famous 胡椒饼, 藥燉排骨, 豬腳麵線, 米粉湯 etc but again I find the food so so, maybe I miss out something again?

Went back to hotel by train from 松山火車站 to Taipei. The 松山火車站 just few mins walking distance from Rou He Night Market.

Sunday, 19 Nov 2006

Ding Tai Feng ( 鼎泰豐 ): We took a cab from hotel to restaurant cost NT$95 which is less than S$5. Went in the morning around 9:15am and there was no queue. For those who're going during peak timing can call to reserve the table. Tried their 小龙包, 小龙汤包, 烧卖, 虾绞, 炸排骨, 牛肉面, etc. FYI 小龙汤 包 only available during sat & sun 9-10 am. 小龙汤包 is the smaller version of 小龙包 and eat with a bowl of soup serve seperately. Do not bother to try their 烧卖 or 虾绞 cause they're using the same skin ( 皮 ) and meat ( 馅 ) as 小龙包 but additional prawn inside, so taste wise very similar to 小龙包 . It costs us around NT$1400 for 4 pax. Not very expensive lah

After breakfast, walked to the nearest MRT 忠孝新生站, The distance was quite far, took us about 25-mins to walk there. But afterall we're so full so we really don't mind the walking which helps to digest abit.

Xi Men Ding ( 西門町 ): Took MRT from 忠孝新生站 to 西門站, Follow the sign and exit at 西门徒步区. The things are generally more expensive than 五分舖 and Shilin Market but can also bargain. Same as 五分舖 they're selling winter cloths now so didn't buy much, just 2 pairs of shoes which cost less than S$20 each. Tried the famous 阿宗麵線, 鴨肉扁, 老天祿滷味. 阿宗麵線 must eat with chilli if not very tastless. 鴨肉扁 the meat very hard, don't really like it but the bee hoon taste nice. 老天祿滷味 not bad, tried the 鸭翅膀 and 鸡腿 but dare not try 鸭舌 cause it looks very disgusting, dare not put inside the mouth

Taipei 101: Took MRT to 市政府站 and walk there. The walking distance about 15 minutes and on way you'll pass by New York New York and V-Show Square. Took some pictures and had my dinner at the basement food court. After dinner took the free shuttle bus back to MRT station.

Monday, 20 Nov 2006

Hua Lien ( 花蓮 ): Took 6:45 am train ( 自强号 ) to hualien and reached there at 09:37 am. The tour guide Ms Vivian Zheng fetch us from the train station and drove us around hualien such as Taroko, 七星潭, fish museum and hualien city and went to eat 姜母鸭, 排骨面, 曾記麻薯 and 烤番薯.

Vivian zheng charged us NT$2500 for 4 pax. The total hours she guided us was about 10 hours so i think was very worth it. For your info she's the sister-in-law of 石头民宿 owner (can't remember her name, quite a few forumers here recommended her 民宿 ). Vivian Zheng stays in Singapore before for more than 10 years so she's very familiar with Singapore. Anyone interested can contact her at (886) 0937 832178 (I don't earn commission, I actually got her contact from 1 of the forumer here).

Took 7:30pm train and reached Taipei at 10:25pm. Too tired to go anywhere, sleep like pig

Tueday, 21 Nov 2006

After breakfast, went to 西門町 for last minutes shopping. we walked over to Yuan Ling Street ( 沅陵街 ) aka shoe street. Got a few shoe shops selling at quite cheap price but limited variety as most shops selling similar design. It's 10 mins walk from 西門町.

Went back to 西門町 樂や燒烤 (next to Rainbow Hotel) to eat BBQ cum Steamboat buffet at NT$438 incl tax. Lots of varieties of beef, pork, vegetables and ice cream (Haagen-Dazs, meiji, movenpick). Worth the money.

Went back to hotel pick-up our luggage. Free Go Bus fetch us from Flower Hotel which is 1-min walking distance from City Inn to Airport.
Old 24-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #5982
Master Member

City Inn Hotel ( 新驛旅店 ) : Highly recommended to those going taipei this year. They've extended 50% discount promotion until end of Dec.
Thanks for sharing. However the website stated the room rate is NT2000 and above.
Need to call them to find out real price?
Old 25-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #5983

seems like from airport go taipei very easy as got the freego bus.

understand that i can also take the bus fm TMS back to airport. is there a bus counter there for us to buy ticket? hw to know time schdule of bus etc??
Old 25-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #5984
Master Member

Thanks for sharing. However the website stated the room rate is NT2000 and above.
Need to call them to find out real price?
NT$2000 and above is the price before discount, so go do the calculation
Old 25-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #5985
Supremacy Member

http://www.taiwanseasonshotel.com/

is this hotel good??? i will be in this hotel.....
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.