HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2006, 01:12 AM   #6421
Master Member

yes,it is in service....Taiwan high speed train will be in service from 1st Jan 07...

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url...24/8/8dx7.html
TV news: the transport ministry said the high speed train met the standards to operate, but refuse to guarantee the safety.
Old 26-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #6422
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm also planning to go to taichung during my short stay there as i want to visit sun moon lake... so if the train is working, then how do i book tix ?... the website doesn't allow booking leh..
Old 26-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #6423
Arch-Supremacy Member

we would prefer to spend lesser time on transport .. as we hope to go early in the morning and come back at nite .. anywhere to find information on the train services ? thanks ^^
then u should take train but withing 1 day may still be a bit rush
http://www.railway.gov.tw/e_index.htm
Old 26-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #6424
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm also planning to go to taichung during my short stay there as i want to visit sun moon lake... so if the train is working, then how do i book tix ?... the website doesn't allow booking leh..
http://www.railway.gov.tw/e_index.htm
Old 26-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #6425

erm... so i dail the numbers on my hp or it needs to be a fixed line or payphone?
u can buy STARhub Card Calling card from singapore also quite cheap 10 bucks.. 5 cents per/min i think....

Last edited by qinzheng; 26-12-2006 at 04:38 PM..
Old 26-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #6426
Arch-Supremacy Member

Latest : Two strong quakes rock Taiwan

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...249244/1/.html

Two strong quakes rock Taiwan
Posted: 26 December 2006 2128 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

Related News
Strong quake shakes Taiwan

TAIPEI - A major earthquake measuring magnitude 7.1 rocked Taiwan Tuesday, geologists said, rattling high-rise buildings and disrupting telephone services.

Authorities said there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.

The US Geological Survey said the quake was 10 kilometres (six miles) deep, 57 miles from Kao-hsiung, Taiwan.

The Taiwan central weather bureau reported there were two quakes.

It said the stronger tremor struck at 8:26 pm (1226 GMT), with its epicentre 23 kilometres (14 miles) southwest of Hengchun in Pingtung county in the southernmost tip of Taiwan. It originated 22 kilometres under the sea.

The second one hit about eight minutes later with its epicentre 12 kilometres west of Fangliao, in Pingtung. It originated 21 kilometres underground.

Taiwan, which lies near the junction of two tectonic plates, is regularly shaken by earthquakes. The country's worst, a 7.6-magnitude quake, killed some 2,400 people in September 1999. - AFP/ir

Damn!!! Is it still safe to go Taipei!?
Old 26-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #6427

Damn....nearly booked my flight today.....dunno safe ma now...
Old 26-12-2006, 11:37 PM   #6428
Master Member

well, i've been thru the 921 earthquake in 1999. earthquakes are not as scary if u keep encountering them. seems like this quake is strong but still the norm. no problems
Old 26-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #6429
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am going on Sat!!!!
Now my gf also worried...

anyone from/in taipei now can do a little field report?
Old 26-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #6430
Master Member

台北二級 -> dun worry, hardly felt in taipei
花蓮、台中三級 -> hualien & taichung only feels a tremor.
The most southern part feels mag 5, so tht aint too bad either though it shakes u about a bit. anyway, noticed that most forumers dun go southern part of taiwan.
Old 26-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #6431
Arch-Supremacy Member

台北二級 -> dun worry, hardly felt in taipei
花蓮、台中三級 -> hualien & taichung only feels a tremor.
The most southern part feels mag 5, so tht aint too bad either though it shakes u about a bit. anyway, noticed that most forumers dun go southern part of taiwan.
Yeah..i also planned not to go to the southen part this time...

I hope pple @ South Taiwan are ok....
Old 26-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #6432
Master Member

Generally, if u visit earthquake prone countries like taiwan / japan etc, just be prepared to experience earthquakes. in these countries, the danger of earthquakes is not so much of buildings collapsing as most of their tall buildings are designed to shake wif the quake.
(PS, unless u super suay like me, experience a once in a century super quake)

wht u shd watch out for is falling objects in ur room. my frens tv set all fell off the table top as well as the photo frames in hotel rooms. quakes can last from seconds to minutes. when a quake hits & u're awake, hide under something & dun stay near windows as they can shatter. documentary taught me tht hiding under table is not the best idea. look for triangular structures to hide under (according to experts). but i think this is assuming the building collapses which if u stay in a decent hotel, not likely to happen.

after a big quake, go outside the building into open ground. usually there will be after quakes. the bad thing abt quakes is usually after a bad one, electricity & water supply is affected. so be careful of hygiene esp. if buying food from the streets.

otherwise, dun worry too much about earthquakes, u get them a lot in countries like above.
Old 27-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #6433
Arch-Supremacy Member

Generally, if u visit earthquake prone countries like taiwan / japan etc, just be prepared to experience earthquakes. in these countries, the danger of earthquakes is not so much of buildings collapsing as most of their tall buildings are designed to shake wif the quake.
(PS, unless u super suay like me, experience a once in a century super quake)

wht u shd watch out for is falling objects in ur room. my frens tv set all fell off the table top as well as the photo frames in hotel rooms. quakes can last from seconds to minutes. when a quake hits & u're awake, hide under something & dun stay near windows as they can shatter. documentary taught me tht hiding under table is not the best idea. look for triangular structures to hide under (according to experts). but i think this is assuming the building collapses which if u stay in a decent hotel, not likely to happen.

after a big quake, go outside the building into open ground. usually there will be after quakes. the bad thing abt quakes is usually after a bad one, electricity & water supply is affected. so be careful of hygiene esp. if buying food from the streets.

otherwise, dun worry too much about earthquakes, u get them a lot in countries like above.

V good post!

I believe this peace out a lot of worrying hearts here.....
Old 27-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #6434
Supremacy Member

hi i will be there from 5 th to 10th jan, can anyone tell me if there is any cheap usd20+ hotels like hotel 81 type at taipei city ? not keen in hostel, need rooms for myself..
Old 27-12-2006, 04:14 AM   #6435

heard alot alot abt rainbow hotel. u can try tat. intending to go on feb2 tooo ..
ani has ani idea abt fees of airtix (incl airport tax) to n fro during feb.
if go on four days the argaration expenditure ard how much.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.