HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #6541

looking to do a 1 day tour at hualien, going there via train from taipei.

any recommended tours at the station or guides? thanks.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #6542

looking to do a 1 day tour at hualien, going there via train from taipei.

any recommended tours at the station or guides? thanks.
Once you exit from the train station, a lot of guides (Bus Tours, Taxi Driver) will offer their tour service to you. try to go during weekday, train not so crowded and easier to get the return ticket back to Taipei.

Last time i went, me and my friend paid about $100SGD for a taxi guide. He explained very clearly where he will be bringing us to before we accept the deal. payment is made at the end of the day. He's nice so we helped him up by visiting 1 marble shop so that he can claim some petrol coupon from the shop. We need not buy anything from the shop but in the end we did bought some marble pendant cos it's so beautiful. LOL

remember to try the soup dumpling (bian3 shi2) and bento too.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #6543

Hmm looking at air tickets to book in March, anyone knows a good deal? And any idea to get ard Taichung or Alishan?
Old 09-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #6544

Once you exit from the train station, a lot of guides (Bus Tours, Taxi Driver) will offer their tour service to you. try to go during weekday, train not so crowded and easier to get the return ticket back to Taipei.

Last time i went, me and my friend paid about $100SGD for a taxi guide. He explained very clearly where he will be bringing us to before we accept the deal. payment is made at the end of the day. He's nice so we helped him up by visiting 1 marble shop so that he can claim some petrol coupon from the shop. We need not buy anything from the shop but in the end we did bought some marble pendant cos it's so beautiful. LOL

remember to try the soup dumpling (bian3 shi2) and bento too.
what is a good timing to reach hualien? do u happen to remember the taxi driver's name?

thanks alot~~
Old 09-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #6545

group by proximity

These 2 are quite close (north) so u can do 1/2 day each via MRT
beitou
tamshui

U will have to take train or bus out to this. There is a Jiufen-Keelung bus u can take if u train out to Rui Fang
jiufeng
keelung

Quite close. U can go Rao He night market after that if u want
taipei 101 (taipei city hall)
wu feng pu (housanpi)

both are central locations. U can make it part of other excursion.
xi men ding
zhong xiao dong lu

Found it overrated. Drop at Jian Tang MRT. Can go any of ur nights in town.
shilin

Try going to the Taipei MRT site and download their MRT map. There is one with nearby attractions for each station......
ok den as for hualien, is there any other interesting place apart from Taroke Gorge? Any nice place to shop? any recommendations? was thinking of spending 1 whole day at the area
Old 09-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #6546

any one been to the 海洋生活館? something like the underwater world? is it nice?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:25 AM   #6547

what is a good timing to reach hualien? do u happen to remember the taxi driver's name?

thanks alot~~
we board the 7am train from Taipei on a monday morning. reached hualian at about 10am. i forgot where i left the taxi driver namecard. we called him by uncle chen (Chen Shu Shu). Let me try to locate his namecard when i get home tonight. Traveling with Taxi guide more fexible, he would recommend what is the best time to visit qi xing tang which is during the evening where the weather will not be too hot.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #6548

ok den as for hualien, is there any other interesting place apart from Taroke Gorge? Any nice place to shop? any recommendations? was thinking of spending 1 whole day at the area
We spent most of our time in Taroke Gorge, a lot to cover there. Our guide drove us up to the Gorge, drop us along some walkway where vehicle can travel on and wait for us further ahead. Along those walkway, we can take out time to see those rock formation, sparrow nest, photo taking etc...

Beside than Taroke Gorge, we visited the marble shop, Qi Xing Tang (next to the military airfield where you can catch a good vist of M16 touching down). Our guide told us that Hualian is famous for the soup dmpling (Bian Shi), Da Li Shi (Marble) and Mua Chi (freshly made so we can't brought back to SG cos no preservative)

I also understand from my guide that he can also arrange for Mi Shu (Stayover) and bring the group to buy fire cracker and rocket (hong tian pao) to play along the beach. But too bad we didn't intend to stay overnight at hualian in our itnerary

Last edited by meowo; 10-01-2007 at 09:35 AM..
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #6549

meowo: would greatly appreciate the contact details. thanks alot!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #6550

Minsu in Hualien:
http://www.netete.com/stone/

Top 3 cabbies: for Hulaien.
Mr. Chen Guang-fa - (0)937-167-779, (0)(3)861-1353, (0)(3)856-6895
Mr. Lu Lai-fu - (0)928-569-081
Mr. Zhuang (0)932-142-590
Old 10-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #6551

any one been to the 海洋生活館? something like the underwater world? is it nice?
look like the ocean park in HK... but the entrance fee abit ex...

Anyway Hualien really nothing.. It is sitting on the earthquake belt.. so maybe u can enjoy the earthquake feeling... hehehe...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #6552

look like the ocean park in HK... but the entrance fee abit ex...

Anyway Hualien really nothing.. It is sitting on the earthquake belt.. so maybe u can enjoy the earthquake feeling... hehehe...
haha ok...so if i were to compare hualien to taizhong, i guess taizhong is a beta choice? cos at least there is this feng jia nite mkt n more shopping centres n more things to see rite?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #6553
Master Member

haha ok...so if i were to compare hualien to taizhong, i guess taizhong is a beta choice? cos at least there is this feng jia nite mkt n more shopping centres n more things to see rite?
yes, taizhong hv more places to shop compared to hualien. but taipei is still much much better. but from hualien, there's actually more natural scenery. Taroko gouge is one of them.

if nite mkt is ur pet peeve, stay in taipei area. after a while, all night market is similar. if shopping is ur pet peeve, stay in taipei, a lot more trendy clothes.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #6554

meowo: would greatly appreciate the contact details. thanks alot!
LOL i got my taxi guide name wrong. He is Mr Liu not Mr Chen LOL. I knew his name is somewhat similar to Andy Lau. Anyway i manage to dig out his namecard, apologies for the unsharp photo (shaky hand)

He prefer his customer to call him when they reach Taiwan cos oversea call charges are expensive >.<
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #6555

thanks meowo, have PM-ed you
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.