Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #7351

From Jinguashi, how to get to Jioufen?
can anyone help?
Old 23-05-2007, 06:26 PM   #7352
Master Member

bus to jinguashi will pass thru jiufen, so reverse the route. its just a 10min, 1 bus-stop ride.
Old 23-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #7353
Master Member

miao kou is not exactly named coz of the street, its really in front of the temple as wht the name suggests. just head towards the temple. slipped my mind why keelong is called "ji-long"
Old 24-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #7354

For hualien, is it advisable to do a 2d 1n or just a day-trip will do? Is there a lot of things to do there? I've read that some forummers stay for a night. In this case, do ppl usually get the cabbie tour for 2 days or just 1 day and the next day explore on your own?

Thanks for help!
Old 24-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #7355
Supremacy Member

For hualien, is it advisable to do a 2d 1n or just a day-trip will do? Is there a lot of things to do there? I've read that some forummers stay for a night. In this case, do ppl usually get the cabbie tour for 2 days or just 1 day and the next day explore on your own?

Thanks for help!
day trip probably makes it impossible to explore hualian i guess, only let u have a incomplete tour of taroko gorge and u would have to leave taipei at a very early timing.

i would suggest the following itinerary for hualian...

Day 1

[830] train to hualian from taipei

[1100-1130] reach hualian, find a minsu, average abt 400 to 500 nt per person per night, quite affordable.

[12-1] lunch, got this shop selling xiao long bag, steam dumplings and water dumplings, very nice and very cheap, must try. only 30 nt for 10 dumplings and 50 nt for 10 xiao long bao!

[1 to 8] get a local guide with a car to show u guys around. i was intro'ed a very nice and knowledgable guide by the minsu i stayed at, and he charges 2500 nt per full day, and 1500nt for halfday, and he drives a "mini bus" that can take 7 passengers. i guess that should be the average rates to pay. day 1 would be considered a half day.

can visit various places around hualian, leave taroko gorge to the 2nd day. one place of interest is li yu tan (carp/koi lake). can cycle around the place, take a ride on the lake on swan paddle boats, and in the evening around 7+, there are lots of fireflies around the area. ideally u should reach this place by around 4+, so u have time to cycle/boat paddle, before seeing the fireflies.

[8 to sleep] dinner at the night market, their guan chai ban (coffin cake) is quite nice, lotsa varieties of fillings to choose from! can shop around and buy some muah chees here also. i like their green tea muah chees. 100 nt per pack.

Day 2

[8.30 to 4.30] off to taroko gorge. ur guide should ideally know taroko very well. there are a few spots that are rather nice and not frequented by tourists, that is, if you are prepared to climb some stairs. there are quite a few diao qiao (hanging bridge) around in taroko, quite scenic to take photos on the swaying bridge hanging high above the gorge.

there's also a full bronze life sized statue of CKS "hidden" at a building above yong chun temple. by hidden i actually only mean forgotten... cos very very few ppl visit the place now, and the building is full of bat guano, and u have to walk up 3 storeys wif bat guano covering the floor and the stairs just to reach the statue. now that chen shuibian wanna destroy CKS's legacy, full sized full body statues like the one in taroko is considered very rare already.

pls note that there is currently an on going road repair at taroko gorge leading to tian xiang. they only allow cars to pass thru once per hr, ie 1pm, 2pm, 3pm etc.. if u miss the time, u gotta wait for 1 hr. make sure ur guide knows abt this.

[4.30 onwards] can cover the remaining attractions in hualian, or just head back to your minsu and get ready to leave for taipei. if you are covering the remaining attractions, just stay one more night in hualian, since accomodation there is quite cheap and nice compared to taipei.
Old 25-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #7356
High Supremacy Member

Is anyone in TS hotel these few days? I left something very important there... need it back in SG

I'll pay you to help me bring it back.... it's a very small but important item, does not even weigh more than 50g

Please let me know through PM

Old 25-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #7357

The Rains did not come! It was a really hot 37.2C Yesterday

Guess x 3 : CC posted
Currently, dates are only confirmed as far as June 11 & 25.

Last edited by nuttyazn; 25-05-2007 at 12:42 PM..
Old 25-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #7358
Arch-Supremacy Member

The Rains did not come! It was a really hot 37.2C Yesterday
eh, thinking of going with tour this coming june http://www.chanbrothers.com/index.cf...=best%20seller

so will it be raining most of the time during june?
Old 25-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #7359

It is difficult to say as it was supposed to Thundershower us this whole week and not much happened.
Old 25-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #7360
Arch-Supremacy Member

It is difficult to say as it was supposed to Thundershower us this whole week and not much happened.

hmm ok . hopefully its not everyday , or best, dont rain. heh.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #7361
Master Member

ya hope dun rain.. me going next thurs..
oh btw nutty.. do u have their mrt map with the stations and the places of interest @ each stations? or can take from airport?
Old 25-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #7362
High Supremacy Member

Those currently in Taipei or are going to Taipei, please visit CKS Memorial Hall. It is possible that the army change shift ceremory be terminated and the hall be locked.

News:
http://www.zaobao.com/zg/zg070521_508.html
yes, it's over... wasted my time looking @ "boy scouts" taking up their positions...

wasn't like what I see in photos

10a.m & 11a.m - I was there & I see no ceremony of any sort... just guards walking to their positions with a water bottle in 1 hand

Old 25-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #7363
High Supremacy Member

Is the situation there safe? Or the demonstration is just at a small area only?
no demonstrations on the day that I went

Old 25-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #7364

ya hope dun rain.. me going next thurs..
oh btw nutty.. do u have their mrt map with the stations and the places of interest @ each stations? or can take from airport?
ya lo... hope dun rain... i checked the weather forcast, it says that it will be raining through out my whole trip sia... going to taipei tml... -rain rain go away-...
Old 25-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #7365

I am clearing my leave in Jul 07...will be taking a week's break and intend to go Taiwan.....was wondering what would you guys recommend? Most prob going alone as most of my peers are not able to join me....sigh...as usual they cite work commitments/ lack of $$$ etc etc as the common obstacles ....anyway i am determined to enjoy myself so with frens/ or no frens...i am still going....going to eat , see nice scenics and shopping

most likely i am adopting the free and easy style....buy the air tickets and stayed in minshu...but would like to find out whether minshus are safe and reliable in general?

Last edited by mountain_man; 25-05-2007 at 11:18 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.