Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #7531
Master Member

yes, all non-earth are 120V. ie, 2 flats are 120V in japan, taiwan, USA
Old 18-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #7532

received a few PMs asking me abt where to find more info on hostels.

U can find them either at www.hihostels.com or www.hostelworld.com

Most of these hostels provide pte rooms too. Check out for yourselves.

Shd be quite good. I heard quite a few positive remarks abt these hostels . Anyway will provide more personal views when i am there this 29 Jul 07.

Will be going for 9D8N.

What do u think of my itinenary?

29 Jun - 01 Jul 07: Taipei
Main places to go:
shilin Night Mkt
Hakone Hot Springs in Xindian
Ximending
Taipei 101
Huashi Night Mkt
Yangminshang
Most prob cannot finish visiting in so to be continued on 05-07 Jul 07Will continue to visit

02 - 04 Jul 07 Hualien
Taroko+Swallow Grotto
White water rafting at Siouguluan River+sight seeing
Paragilding at Luye (location may change if hostel owner can find somewhere near)
Was informed by hostel owner the above activities will take up alot of time liao.

05 - 07 Jul 07 Taipei
refer to above.

Would like to find out from those who went Taipei, any good lobang for guys' stuff like sport gears, t-shirts, office wear?

Also if u think i can squeeze more places to go, pls do provide me so. Will appreciate it alot!

Thanks
harlow, mountain_man
can i ask some details regarding white water rafting?
may i knw where is Siouguluan River? is it at hualian?
how can reach the place for rafting and the cost for the event?

sorry to ask so much qns, thanks in advance for sharing any info =)

Old 18-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #7533

went to taipei 3 times le on free and easy, very fun and many things to shop over there, my next trip will be 2 yrs later after my studies Miss the food and entertainment!!! Maybe wld go to other parts of taiwan to have a look
Old 18-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #7534
High Supremacy Member

Thanks. but i check their website and look at their route, but none show ximending? so where should i get off?
out from the customs, turn left & walk all the way...

got 2 counters to choose from, FreeGo & 1 more I forgot the name... just tell them yr hotel, they'll tell u if their bus goes there...

Old 18-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #7535

hihi

i booked futurestar hotel for my trip next month from 20 to 26. No choice..all the hotels like rainbow, royal castle, ts...booked even paradise is booked
Anyway Does the freego bus go to futurestar hotel oso?
Has anyone stayed there b4? how was it?
Old 19-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #7536

hihi

i booked futurestar hotel for my trip next month from 20 to 26. No choice..all the hotels like rainbow, royal castle, ts...booked even paradise is booked
Anyway Does the freego bus go to futurestar hotel oso?
Has anyone stayed there b4? how was it?
yup... u tell the counter there u wanna go "明日" ming ri... as simple as that...
futurestar ar? budget hotel lor... mai hiam buay pai lor...
Old 19-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #7537

yes, all non-earth are 120V. ie, 2 flats are 120V in japan, taiwan, USA
mine is a 250v adaptor, can i use it in taiwan?
Old 19-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #7538
Master Member

huh... if not multi voltage, then of coz cannot.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #7539

harlow, mountain_man
can i ask some details regarding white water rafting?
may i knw where is Siouguluan River? is it at hualian?
how can reach the place for rafting and the cost for the event?

sorry to ask so much qns, thanks in advance for sharing any info =)

hiya, sorry for the late reply.
Info is provided from my travel map:

"Siouguluan Riveris the largest stream in eastern Taiwan, rising on southern flanks of Mt Luntian in the Central Mountain Range and cutting thru the East Roft Valley and the Coastal Mountain Range before emptying into the Pacific. Its waters are clear and unpolluated. the 25km lower section of the river, with more than 20sets of rapids as it courses thru the spectacular gorges it has worn in ythe Coastal Mountain Range, is Taiwan's fav location for white water rafting.

The rafting trip takes abt 3-4hrs and usu included a 1/2 way luncheon stop at the aboriginal village of Cimei. The second 1/2 of the trip passes thru steep gorges, and as rafters near the end of the ride at Rainbow Bridge, they speed past huge white boulders that hav ebeen sculpted into interesting shapes by millennia of erosion. The river widens out at the bridge and a small island-Shihciou (lion's ball) lies in its mouth."

Hope the above provides a gd picture of what u would like to know.

Rafting on the Siouguluan River:
Public Transportation
Train: From Hualien, take train to Rueisuei
Bus: Take a Hualien Bus from Hualien on the Fuli or Yuli line and get off Rueisuei
Self-Drive: Hualien or Taitong-Provincial Highway No.9 - Rueisuei-County Rd 193-Rafting Center
Contacts:
1) Nan Sun rafting 81 Guolian ist Rd, Hualien (03) 833-9275
2) Pacific Rafting 12 Jhongshan Rd, Sec , Rueisuei, hualien County (03) 8872822

As for cost, i am not too sure abt the exact amt My rafting trip will be organized by my hostel owner. But i was told to expect around 600-750TWD per person.

I can feed u more data when i am back from the trip!
Old 20-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #7540

can someone confirm that a 2 flat pin 250v adaptor can be use in taiwan, sharp is the same as those in taiwan, only voltage is different. saw some shops selling only $1 only.

was told by some electric shop owners in nearby housing estate that the 250v does not matter and can be use in taipei. He say it is our electronic items voltage that matters.
but he say it will take longer to charge as taiwan uses only 110v. true or not?
Old 20-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #7541
Master Member

nutty bro any updates for guessx3 dates for july yet??? thank you so muchie!
Old 20-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #7542

hello

I'm planning for a trip to Taipei and got some questions. Can someone help?

1. How long is the journey from Taichung to Sun Moon Lake via Renyou Bus?

2. Where do i head (from Taichung Train Station) to take Renyou Bus?

3. Does anyone know where i can find the ticket prices for the different trains which heads to taichung from taipei? I've tried the revamped TRA website but to no avail.

4. Is it true that the bus (that travels from Ruifang to Jinguashi) will make a turn at Jinguashi and travel towards Jiufen and then Kee Lung? If it?s true, do i buy 3 tickets (1 for Ruifang to Jinguashi, 1 for Jinguashi to Jiufen and 1 for Jiufen to Kee Lung)?

Thanks very much!
Old 21-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #7543

hello

4. Is it true that the bus (that travels from Ruifang to Jinguashi) will make a turn at Jinguashi and travel towards Jiufen and then Kee Lung? If it?s true, do i buy 3 tickets (1 for Ruifang to Jinguashi, 1 for Jinguashi to Jiufen and 1 for Jiufen to Kee Lung)?
By train to Rueifang then: Posted by Titaniums at TA:
At Rueifang train station you will see a small shop selling snacks, etc. PEOPLE, get your Jinguashi Admission Ticket here. It cost NT80 for off peak and notice that at the bottom right side of the card there are four cloumns that you can tear out. You can take FREE rides within Rueifang for 4 times with that. The driver will tear one at a time when you board the bus, just pass the green card to him. It saved us the bus money when we did that. We took the bus to Jinguashi to see the history of goldmining but its a pity we missed the slot to dig for gold! I think they have 2-3 times slots i only remember the one at 2.30pm. After that we used the same card to travel down to Jiufen and bought many Taiyang Bing! After that we used the same card to return to Keelung.

the price for the ticket may cost a bit more now

according to another forumer at TA:
JiuFen(keelung bus)
-the fare is now 90NT per trip
-remember to ask for 'bus ticket' especially from Jiufen to zhongxiao fu xing MRT stn.
-I nearly being asked to leave the bus halfway as I didnt get the 'bus ticket' when I board the bus. It was because the driver never give me any ticket when I took the bus from mrt stn to jiufen, so I assume no ticket is needed, just need to pay the fare when you board the bus..

The tip about getting the bus ticket from the driver (is it a plastic tab?) is very important! I didn't know about that, but I'm presuming it must be to prove that you've paid the full fare to the end of the route, Jiufen-Jinguashih, as opposed to the cheaper fares for stops closer to Taipei? It works the same way on buses to Tianmu and Xindian if boarding in downtown Taipei---you pay double fare (NT30) once the bus goes past a certain mark, usually a bridge.

the bus ticket is a plastic tab. you have to return the tab to the bus driver at the end of the journey. for those planning to go to jiufen, remember to tell the driver where you are going clearly before you drop the coins into the box as the driver might not know you already paid for the full journey, and of course get the bus ticket..
i think i will still prefer to take bus from zhongxiao fu sing stn as it is more convenience. if i take the train, i need to change for 2 times (one at taipei mrt stn, one at ruifang train stn)
it takes around 1 hr plus to reach jiufen.

hope tis is useful to u
Old 21-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #7544
Great Supremacy Member

but he say it will take longer to charge as taiwan uses only 110v. true or not?
i had the same doubts but apprently there isn't much difference in japan (also 110V). so it shld be the current tat matters bah.
Old 21-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #7545

Thanx very much lzephyr!!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.