HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #7546

hiya, sorry for the late reply.
Info is provided from my travel map:

"Siouguluan Riveris the largest stream in eastern Taiwan, rising on southern flanks of Mt Luntian in the Central Mountain Range and cutting thru the East Roft Valley and the Coastal Mountain Range before emptying into the Pacific. Its waters are clear and unpolluated. the 25km lower section of the river, with more than 20sets of rapids as it courses thru the spectacular gorges it has worn in ythe Coastal Mountain Range, is Taiwan's fav location for white water rafting.

The rafting trip takes abt 3-4hrs and usu included a 1/2 way luncheon stop at the aboriginal village of Cimei. The second 1/2 of the trip passes thru steep gorges, and as rafters near the end of the ride at Rainbow Bridge, they speed past huge white boulders that hav ebeen sculpted into interesting shapes by millennia of erosion. The river widens out at the bridge and a small island-Shihciou (lion's ball) lies in its mouth."

Hope the above provides a gd picture of what u would like to know.

Rafting on the Siouguluan River:
Public Transportation
Train: From Hualien, take train to Rueisuei
Bus: Take a Hualien Bus from Hualien on the Fuli or Yuli line and get off Rueisuei
Self-Drive: Hualien or Taitong-Provincial Highway No.9 - Rueisuei-County Rd 193-Rafting Center
Contacts:
1) Nan Sun rafting 81 Guolian ist Rd, Hualien (03) 833-9275
2) Pacific Rafting 12 Jhongshan Rd, Sec , Rueisuei, hualien County (03) 8872822

As for cost, i am not too sure abt the exact amt My rafting trip will be organized by my hostel owner. But i was told to expect around 600-750TWD per person.

I can feed u more data when i am back from the trip!
thanks thanks for the info =)
hope you enjoy ur trip and can get more info frm u hehe
btw, u gng to Yilan or jus Taipei and Hualian only??
hw u book the tickets to Hualian??
i heard must buy from taipei main stn, can i buy beforehand like online
cos scared no tickets if i buy beforehand??

thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out

Old 22-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #7547

thanks thanks for the info =)
hope you enjoy ur trip and can get more info frm u hehe
btw, u gng to Yilan or jus Taipei and Hualian only??
hw u book the tickets to Hualian??

thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out

If you go to www.taiwan.net.tw you will be able to find alot of information. The chinese version has more information than the English version. Look under transportation and they will direct you to Taiwan Tie Lu for normal trains. There is a new one for the bullet train but very costly.

The accept online credit card payments for train tickets. You may purchase the ticket one day in advance at the train station provided that it is not a weekend.
Old 22-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #7548
Master Member

I tried to buy train ticket online in Feb/ Mar this year. Firstly it only accept Taiwan NRIC for booking. 2nd, only Taiwan issued credit card is accepted for online payment.
Old 22-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #7549

I tried to buy train ticket online in Feb/ Mar this year. Firstly it only accept Taiwan NRIC for booking. 2nd, only Taiwan issued credit card is accepted for online payment.
ic so in the end hw u manage to get the tickets??
if let say i arrive at taiwan airport around 1740, is still enough time to get the ticket at
taipei main station for the next day morning train at 645???

thanks in advance =)

Old 23-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #7550

ic so in the end hw u manage to get the tickets??
if let say i arrive at taiwan airport around 1740, is still enough time to get the ticket at
taipei main station for the next day morning train at 645???

thanks in advance =)

Like you, initial plan was once i touch down to proceed to buy the train tixs and head straight to Hualien after a night's stay in Taipei. But there is the possibility of not getting the tixs due to sold out. I was informed that Jul is the month where there is sch holidays and normally tickets will be sold out soon.

That is why i am only going to hualien on my 4th day there. Spend the 1st 3 days in Taipei first. Ample time to get the tickets. P
Old 23-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #7551

ic so there is no chance of booking online since it need a taiwan doc to book???
only option is to defer hualian trip maybe the third day of ur trip??
btw, do u hav any chance to knw any info of whale-watching??
i heard hualian got such activity hehe =)
Old 23-06-2007, 10:36 PM   #7552
Master Member

i've nvr met a sold-out situation yet. but in case really sold-out then just take bus lor.
Old 23-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #7553

Prob shd made myself clearer. What i meant by sold out, i meant the seats avaliability. You can still get a ticket but imagine u will have to stand thru out the journey to hualien for 3 hrs. This was based on my hostel owner's advices. I will just have to verify that for myself when i reached there.

Yes whale watching is part of the highlights there. Based on what i had found out, u dun have to worry abt it. it would seem to me that almost all accodomation such as hostels and hotels can assist to arrange for you when u reached hualien.
Old 24-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #7554
Supremacy Member

ask u guys huh, which hotel to book ah? intend to book from WTS leh, any other recommendation?
Old 24-06-2007, 12:43 AM   #7555
High Supremacy Member

ask u guys huh, which hotel to book ah? intend to book from WTS leh, any other recommendation?
what options do u have?

they have a list for u to choose...

Old 24-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #7556
Banned

If i buy 3 Pack of viceroy menthol light.. Reach taipei airport need to pay tax or not?
Old 24-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #7557

If i buy 3 Pack of viceroy menthol light.. Reach taipei airport need to pay tax or not?
no need. tt time i bring 1 carton duty free in also no problem.
Old 24-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #7558
Arch-Supremacy Member

Prob shd made myself clearer. What i meant by sold out, i meant the seats avaliability. You can still get a ticket but imagine u will have to stand thru out the journey to hualien for 3 hrs. This was based on my hostel owner's advices. I will just have to verify that for myself when i reached there.

Yes whale watching is part of the highlights there. Based on what i had found out, u dun have to worry abt it. it would seem to me that almost all accodomation such as hostels and hotels can assist to arrange for you when u reached hualien.
no worries
just board the train
c empty seats juz sit
and wait till pple ask for it
then find other seats
seen lotsa pple doing the same thing
Old 24-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #7559
Master Member

yes. if really v. peak & total no seats & also coz the stops betw taipei & hualien are far & few, chances of getting seats diminishes once all filled up out of taipei... anyway, if really no choice u can still sit on floor, there's a little area in every catridge where u can sit on the floor. and i think every alternate catridge have a drinking area which means even more floor space.

anyway, take bus if seats are really impt. its also cheaper by bus
Old 25-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #7560

hi all,

I'm looking for any online information on taking boat rides at xiao liu qiu island to see corals and such.

firstly how to get to dongguang harbour from kaoshuing THSR Station. Which bus can I take and how long the journey.

If there are no such tours, if I go to the island proper, is there any other way to get around as I read one needs a license to rent their scooters. I don't have class 2b license.

Any advice regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.