LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #8116

any summer sales still on for oct 11?
Old 20-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #8117

me too me too! i also wan wlmj!! kailinz@hotmail.com

thanks!
Old 21-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #8118
Supremacy Member

who knows how to go ali shan from taichung?

i think is taichung to chiayi to ali shan... but dunno the exact method, form of transportation, ticket details, etc.

And also from ali shan back to taipei, what is the best way?

Anyone with experience?
Old 21-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #8119

can u send me the wlmj oso.. tks!! doraemon_0284@hotmail.com
Can you send me the WLMJ to ckianh2000@yahoo.com.sg.
Mny thanks.
Old 21-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #8120
Master Member

who knows how to go ali shan from taichung?

i think is taichung to chiayi to ali shan... but dunno the exact method, form of transportation, ticket details, etc.

And also from ali shan back to taipei, what is the best way?

Anyone with experience?
correct.
Taichung -> Chiayi (Train)
Chiayi -> Alishan (2 ways, there's a alishan train, special mountain train. or by bus. The faster method is by bus.) There're usually touts at chiayi train station offering alishan rides with some visit along the way. Price is about NT$400 (same as taking alishan train). Alishan bus is about NT$200 i think). If your 1st time to alishan, sign up with the touts, quite worth it.
Old 21-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #8121
Supremacy Member

correct.
Taichung -> Chiayi (Train)
Chiayi -> Alishan (2 ways, there's a alishan train, special mountain train. or by bus. The faster method is by bus.) There're usually touts at chiayi train station offering alishan rides with some visit along the way. Price is about NT$400 (same as taking alishan train). Alishan bus is about NT$200 i think). If your 1st time to alishan, sign up with the touts, quite worth it.
Thanks.

Some questions:

1) As for Taichung to Chiayi, is it better to take train or go via high speed rail? (If there isn't much difference, then i would go for normal train).

2) If I were to be taking normal train, do I need to buy the ticket in advance or there will surely be tickets available? If i need to buy in advance, how do I go about doing that?

3) If i reach Chia yi via high speed rail, will there be buses to Ali Shan from Chia yi high speed rail station?

4) As for Ali Shan, all we need is to book a hotel room for staying overnight there and then take the bus up at about 200-400NT from Chia yi right? Will there be other fees for any entrance or stuff like that?

5) I'm also not sure the best way to get back to Taipei from Ali Shan. Can you give some advice on that as well as timing for transportation?

6) How cold will Ali Shan be?
Old 21-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #8122
Master Member

1) As for Taichung to Chiayi, is it better to take train or go via high speed rail? (If there isn't much difference, then i would go for normal train).

Sorry, i'm not familiar with the route of the HSR. Also not sure of where the stations are. The most recently I did this trip happens to be train from Taichung -> Chiayi as well. I took the normal train (HSR was not available then). The timing is quite ok as I didnt have any plans in Chiayi. Originally planned to arrive Alishan abt 4pm then tour the national park but coz I signed up with those touts for a side-trip. but it was just right coz it rained the whole afternoon in alishan.

2) If I were to be taking normal train, do I need to buy the ticket in advance or there will surely be tickets available? If i need to buy in advance, how do I go about doing that?

so far, my experience with train tickets is that I hardly ever need to book in advance unless its a fri night or sat morning ticket. Usually, these times are more crowded due to students travelling back to hometown for the wkend. Otherwise, worst case is standing or split seats. When u're in taichung, before u leave the train station, just buy the next ticket. for my eg. i arrive in taichung one evening, so i bought the next morning's ticket to chiayi.

3) If i reach Chia yi via high speed rail, will there be buses to Ali Shan from Chia yi high speed rail station?

Cant advise u on this. I'll take note next time i'm in taiwan.

4) As for Ali Shan, all we need is to book a hotel room for staying overnight there and then take the bus up at about 200-400NT from Chia yi right? Will there be other fees for any entrance or stuff like that?

yes. hotel rooms are plenty. the touts can book for you as well. the only fear is as u're not so familiar with taiwan prices, u maybe "cheated" a little bit by the touts. but i feel even if "cheated" its really a little bit is really quite ok. For my case, as I'm v. familiar with how these pple are as well as the prices, so I guess the tout sense it & didnt quote me anything strange. though orginally i did book one of the highest class hotel there but end up I took up on the tout's offer of another hotel.

To be honest, these touts are both loved & hated by the alishan hotels & pple there. in fact, few yrs ago, dun even hv these touts. so i was generally surprise to see them. otherwise, i couldnt hv visited other places along the way up alishan. There's plenty of nice sceneries & places to visit & w/o personal transport, it'll be impossible to drop by.

In alishan hotels, also, there'll be touts who later knock on your door to offer you "packages" to watch sunrise. feel free to consider their service. The big adv is that transportation right at your doorstep. however, they tend to catch the sunrise at other locations at a higher pt. I'm sure they'll try to promote that "higher" pt. is much better. The other adv is that u'll get to visit the highest national park in taiwan. i think its called yushan, sorry if i got the name wrong as i tend to be confused abt the mountain names in taiwan.

5) I'm also not sure the best way to get back to Taipei from Ali Shan. Can you give some advice on that as well as timing for transportation?

Bus is fastest from alishan to chiayi. I think last bus is 2pm, find out where it is beforehand. u'll shd be in time for a 4+pm train back to taipei, long ride. wht happened to me is that i booked a late train ride the day earlier (before i go up alishan). however, i didnt take last bus from alishan back down. I took an earlier bus and found that it only took 1.5h & hence I was able to catch an early train. so i hopped on the train & try to find seats. some stops, i've to stand some stops i get to sit.

Train schedule, pls check online.

I think alishan visit is quite interesting if u

1. Visit the town (i think its called peng-qi-hu) along the way up. Only possible if you hv personalised trips
2. Walk the alishan national park (spare 3-4hrs for this and u've to be prepared to climb lots of stairs)
3. watch sunrise from yushan (get to visit yushan & see the monkeys there..haha). also, if u're lucky, be amazed by the star field on a clear morning!
4. If luck permits, catch the sunset on 1st evening & hopefully u get the see the famour "sea of clouds"

6) How cold will Ali Shan be?

If end of yr, can drop as low as single digits. Take note if u intnd to shower, must confirm with whichever hotel u take up that they've heater in room with hot shower.
Old 21-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #8123
Supremacy Member

Thanks a lot for the information.

I have not taken train before in Taiwan. Can i know what you mean by standing or split seats? And what you mean by "so i hopped on the train & try to find seats. some stops, i've to stand some stops i get to sit."? Why must stand and sit?
Old 21-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #8124
Master Member

When u buy the train tickets & there are available seats, you'll be ASSIGNED seat numbers of your train tickets. Sometimes, there are no seats so your train ticket is STANDING tickets.

sometimes, no seats is not really no seats but becoz say from chiayi to taipei, maybe from hsinchu to taipei no seats, so the person just tell u no seats from chiayi to taipei coz when u try find a single seat from chiayi all the way from taipei, its not possible. If you meet a kinder "ticket-er", he can issue 2 sets of tickets, in this eg. from chiayi->hsinchu (have seats) then hsinchu->taipei (standing only).

In my case, as my assigned seats is on a different train, hence i will hv no assigned seats, i just find any empty seats to sit on until someone who is assigned to that seat come & chase me away lor.
Old 21-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #8125

WLMJ found here is created by shangsiang.

Link will expire in 7 days, ie on 28 August or 100 d/l. http://download.yousendit.com/729ACD165B57A923
Old 21-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #8126
Supremacy Member

When u buy the train tickets & there are available seats, you'll be ASSIGNED seat numbers of your train tickets. Sometimes, there are no seats so your train ticket is STANDING tickets.

sometimes, no seats is not really no seats but becoz say from chiayi to taipei, maybe from hsinchu to taipei no seats, so the person just tell u no seats from chiayi to taipei coz when u try find a single seat from chiayi all the way from taipei, its not possible. If you meet a kinder "ticket-er", he can issue 2 sets of tickets, in this eg. from chiayi->hsinchu (have seats) then hsinchu->taipei (standing only).

In my case, as my assigned seats is on a different train, hence i will hv no assigned seats, i just find any empty seats to sit on until someone who is assigned to that seat come & chase me away lor.
Thanks a lot. Now I understand the system.
Old 21-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #8127
Supremacy Member

Sorry i forgot to ask how long is the trip via train from Taizhung to Chiayi?
Old 21-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #8128
Master Member

http://www.railway.gov.tw/index/index.aspx

see if above hv the rail schedule, d/l it will be v. helpful for your trip
Old 21-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #8129
Supremacy Member

http://www.railway.gov.tw/index/index.aspx

see if above hv the rail schedule, d/l it will be v. helpful for your trip
Yeah i know about this site...but i wish to know how long it takes to reach chiayi from taichung when you take train?
Old 21-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #8130
Master Member

haha, then u shd know the answer the website schedule will tell u. anyway, i've checked it, from taichung to chiayi assuming u go for the "zi-ciang" (most ex) train type is abt 1h15min thereabouts

if u're F&E my advise is to print out the train schedules esp if u're transversing through taiwan & not restricting yourself to one region. this is so that anytime ur plans are slightly out of ur timing, u wont hv to be scrambling or wondering wht time is the train or what available train. also will save u time having to check out physically at the train station itself.

Last edited by Shadus; 21-08-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.