Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2007, 11:51 PM   #8146
Supremacy Member

bump... someone please help me with post #8133
Old 26-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #8147

Hi nuttyazn
Do you have any advice for exploring Taroko gorge?
Am planning to go Taiwan for 7D on 24th Sept. 4/5D will be spent in or around Taipei.
Was thinking of taking a day trip to Taroko or maybe to spend one night there.

1) What is the best way to explore the gorge? Join local day tour, drive, etc
2) How much time would be optimal?

Thanks in advance
Old 26-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #8148

Alright...most likely i will go Taipei on 1st Oct and back on the 8th Oct...but contemplating which airlines to take. Should i take Jetstar, or pay abit more for SQ?Hmm... I wonder Natas fair will have cheaper rates..
Old 27-08-2007, 02:33 AM   #8149
Supremacy Member

it's only a 4-5 hours trip.. so it's up to you.. but me i don't mind budget air la if it's only for a few hours.

sleep .. wake up ... reach liao.

if money is not an issue, of course sq good.

you can also take into consideration the flight timing...cos jetstar reach there/fly back will be evening.
Old 27-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #8150

taipei

I will be going to taipei on the 11/12 Oct.
Can someone list down some places (romantic places) to have dinner.
See views(sunrise or sunset)
I haven decide where to go, but flight will be to TAIPEI.(6days)

Pls advise..
thanks!
Old 27-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #8151

happie10,

The western food restaurant at the foot of Lovers' Bridge at Fisherman's Wharf is quite romantic. I was there at about 7 plus pm and there was live performance and you can dedicate songs.

Can watch sunset at Fisherman's Wharf first, take a stroll on Lovers' Bridge then go for the meal.

About NT1000 for 2 ppl. The set includes drink, soup, main and dessert. Food and service were good

Last edited by Summer1721; 27-08-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Old 28-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #8152
Master Member

hey people..

Just to share my experience staying at East Dragon Hotel couple of months ago in Taipei.

I took the normal deluxe room..but it was'nt really deluxe spacious. Its clean though..nothing happened when we slept there.

During my 6 nights stay,everything went smoothly and hotel staff were very polite as usual. Just opposite the hotel is our favourite breakfast stall selling soyabean drink , rice cakes , yew char kway and lotsa other goodies..hur hur

Its just a 3min walk from the heart of Ximending and its about 10mins from the Ximen Station exit. its good this way your away from the hussle and bustle of the crowd and you can buy and view things along the route to and fro the hotel.

From my own pt of view..the lobby of east dragon is much bigger compared to Rainbow hotel..since its really a small hotel. But rainbow is right smack in the middle of Ximending..so to some people thats really important.

On the day of departure,the staff would keep our bags and luggages at their bags corner and we can go out for the couple of hours before the feiguo (FreeGo) bus came.

Overall the hotel is recommended but its definitely not the best of the best so expect what your paying.

Now planning another trip to taipei again (Girlfriend la..what else..(-_____-!!)~~ )

perhaps will go for TS or just back to East Dragon..haha

Hope this helps
Old 28-08-2007, 03:13 AM   #8153
Supremacy Member

i'm will be going taipei on 11 oct as well...
Old 30-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #8154

Alright.....apart from taipei, should i pay a visit to hualien and Tainan as well? I will be staying taiwan for at least 7 nights...i understand its abit hard to make full use of these 8 days and explore Taiwan comprehensively, but it will be great if u guys can give me some recommendations...been hearing lots of good stuffs regarding tainan and Hualien( as well as the Toroko Gorge). How about Kenting eh?
Apart from catching the sunrise in Alishan, are there any places of interests there?
Old 30-08-2007, 02:32 AM   #8155
Supremacy Member

You might wanna take a look at their Penghu island although i do not know much about it.
Old 30-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #8156
Master Member

8 days is really too short for you to do so much. For 8 days my suggestion is to focus on taipei & taipei county area + hualien & taroko. It shd be quite a full schedule already.

some of the places u mention are v. far away like alishan. kenting is even further, u need to allocate 1 day just to travel taipei to kenting. so definitely out of question.
Old 30-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #8157

Hi Shadus
Planning to go TW for 7 days, out of which 4-5 days in TP with 4 other people. Leaving on 24th Sept. Quite interested in scenery, thus looking at Taroko. Would like to find out more on
1) The recc amount of time spent there? Would it be too rush to do it as a day trip out of TP?
2) Any recc accoms in that area?
3) The best way to get their and travel around inside? Would it be better if we get a car?
4) Any recc for other scenic spots?

Thanks in advance
Old 30-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #8158
Master Member

1) Some forumers hv done a day trip out of TP. Can be done if u depart early & come back late. With transport, i think about 4-5 hours is just nice for Taroko - neither too fast nor slow.

2) House of stone minsu. forgot the link. forumers hv post in this thread a few times.

3) The best way is hire a cab since u've 4 pple. Driving urself can be difficult esp when it comes to parking and also unfamiliarity

4) U mean in hualien? I think the coastline is quite nice. Since u wont be spending much time there, just visit the Hualien coastal line. I believe the house of stone minsu faces the sea.
Old 31-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #8159

taipei

Just wondering if the LV or Gucci stuff there is cheaper or more exp than in SG? coz i intend to buy 1, but since going there so... trying to ask if its cheaper or what. Tax free?
Pls give advise.

Thanks.
Old 31-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #8160

1) Some forumers hv done a day trip out of TP. Can be done if u depart early & come back late. With transport, i think about 4-5 hours is just nice for Taroko - neither too fast nor slow.

2) House of stone minsu. forgot the link. forumers hv post in this thread a few times.

3) The best way is hire a cab since u've 4 pple. Driving urself can be difficult esp when it comes to parking and also unfamiliarity

4) U mean in hualien? I think the coastline is quite nice. Since u wont be spending much time there, just visit the Hualien coastal line. I believe the house of stone minsu faces the sea.
Hi Shadus
1)By transport, do you mean in Taroko? What I gather from Taroko is that its a huge national park and there are multiple scenic spots in there. How do people usually move around inside there if they do not go with a tour? Was thinking of visiting it over 2 days,
ie: Leave TP in the morning on day 1 for Taroko, stay somewhere nearby, then visit again the next day before going back to TP.

2)The house itself looks like a nice place to visit! Thanks for recc it, managed to chance upon the link. Is it an accessible place in the context of Taroko

3) We have 5 people in total. Do the cabs there accept 5 in a car? Heard of those tour guides who bring tourists around for a day for about NTD2500. Do they operate out of TP and is the cost per person or per car?

4) How about nearer to TP? A halfday/full day kind of trip to escape the city. Heard of Yang Ming Shan. any other places besides that?

Thanks for your help
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.