HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #8161
Master Member

1) People generally hire a cab for the day. Dun need to visit over 2 days. 4 hours shd be sufficient. Dun need to stay "somewhere nearby" coz there is only 1 hotel at the end of taroko gouge up into the mountains. just stay in hualien for the night if u wish to explore a bit of hualien. The drive to taroko is only 1h max.

2) yes, very accessible, the owner will help u arrange too. just call her from her to book place. Just say u're singaporean, she trust us quite a bit w/o deposit plus she'll pick u up from train station. Then also, let her know u need a cabbie for taroko visit, she'll arrange. the cabbie will help u tour taroko & hualien since u'll be staying for the nite.

3) generally, in taipei, 5 pple not acceptable. but cabbie shd be ok. at most charge a bit more. but u dun find it squeezy? ask the minsu owner for advice, maybe she can find a MPV cab for u. for me 2 person, the cabbie charge us NT$2k. its charged per tour, not by headcount. tell u wht, call the minsu owner & tell her that you need 1 cabbie for 5 person and try to get it at NT$2500 for the whole thing.

4) TP a lot of places eh... maybe ask in separate post :p
Old 31-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #8162
Master Member

TP out of city area includes

1. YMS
2. Jiufen + jinguashi
3. Yeliu (though it'll be a bit windy during winter)
Old 31-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #8163
Supremacy Member

One cab driver in Taipei told me that when you are traveling from one place to another within Taipei. Do not ask how much it costs to reach another place because once you do that, some bad drivers will know that you are a tourist and will quote you a much higher price than using the meter.

It's best if you can speak good mandarin and don't talk so much in the cab so as to reveal your identity. Then let the cab go by meter cos that's what the locals usually do.

Some drivers may also bring you go merry-go-round once they know that you are a tourist and do not know the routes well.

It's very easy to act as Taiwanese if you can speak well and don't dress like a tourist.

Last edited by CubeFX; 31-08-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #8164
Master Member

Not true unless u work there for a period of time. Even for me as SGian, I can tell the diff immed even if u speak really good chinese. The slang is v. different.

Major cities esp taipei are relatively well controlled. Cabbies will use meter but to be sure, just ask the cabbie. "Tiao biao mah". U shdnt encounter any problems.

Outside of taipei, most likely wont use meter. Even taiwanese themselves are being charged fixed rates, wht more tourist. In those cases, yes, its. v. hard to know if u'll be overcharged compared to locals unless u know the rate. But the saving grace is tht i find this forum plenty of information necessary to avoid such things. eg. most pple in this thread will know for eg. Hualien - Taroko tour, cabby rate is NT$2000 - NT$2500.

Feel free to ask in this thread. a lot of helpers around esp Nuttyzan.

Tht said, in general, taiwanese are not a lot of unscrupulous merchants though all will love to make money. Comparing to bangkok, it is definitely far from tht. In BKK, really 99% of cabs we took is like "oh tourist -> charge more". Taiwanese generally are not like tht.

also as most of the way they do business is v. unstructured, they do get cheated as well. I related my own story where i "accidentally" cheated them. I booked a tour with a tout & a hotel stay with a tout. The tout collects a 10% deposit at the train station where i ran into him. I easily imagine tht's his commission as after tht i'm passed on to the bus drivers responsibility... (and later on to the hotel). the problem is the bus driver is suppose to collect anr part of the fees. well, most tourist will not miss the bus after any stops right? coz tourist in unknown land of coz faithfully follow the tour throughout. midway thru the tour, me & wife notice something else more interesting & decide to "drop out" from the tour and proceed to hotel ourselves later on. forgot to pay bus driver!!! so u see, the way they do biz actually leaves a lot of exploitation as quite a fair bit is based on trust & word of mouth agreement. Like u book hotel, dun need pay deposit one.

Last edited by Shadus; 01-09-2007 at 12:26 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #8165
Supremacy Member

I only know that he emphasized we shouldn't ask at all because that will easily give us away but that only apply to Taipei(i think). Since he's in this line for so many years, I guess it's better to heed his advice.

In fact, we have also tried it out on other taxis for a few times and meter will auto-on. Usually throughout the journey, everybody will just keep quiet and the difference in fares between two taxis (8 persons) were not much and routes travelled were similar. So generally, Taiwanese are nice people.

Anyway, acting to be like a Taiwanese is also not that hard because we were mistaken to be them on quite a few occasions during our time there. How we gave ourselves away are usually due of the lack of knowledge in answering their questions before they pop up the question(in chinese): You're not local?

Maybe it's also easier for one Singaporean to identify another because of the "special bond" of being from the same place.

I shared this taxi experience is because this taxi uncle ferried us for a few times on meter and it was during one of the trips, he advised us not to ask about the trip fare the next time we hitch a taxi in Taipei just in case we get conned. It is because that's how most drivers identified people as tourists just like how he identified us where we popped that question. Else it's hard to differentiate if we speak good Mandarin. Of course speak lesser the better OR more and more loopholes start to come up. From his 2 cents...

Last edited by CubeFX; 01-09-2007 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #8166

Hi.. Just wan to express my gratitude to nutty and the rest who help me
with my iternary and my trip in taiwan =p

Guys and Gals.. dun forget to visit Hualian, it is a nice place beside taipei for
sight seeing =)
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #8167

Thank Shangshiang,

The WLMJ is really detailed and good!!

Can someone pls send me the WLMJ too as I am going to taipei on Oct. Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #8168

Can someone pls send me the WLMJ too as I am going to taipei on Oct. Thanks

my email address is widescreen123456789@gmail.com . any kind soul pls send me the WLMJ
Old 02-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #8169

Keep an eye on the News and check with your Airlines. Another typhooon just appeared this afternoon and is going to hit tonight directly.
http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V5e/index.htm

Sent you Itinerary to your gmail.

Flooding a bit in Beitou.

The Typhoon should b gone by 8pm ,It moving quite fast. We might still have to go to work romorrow so it cant be that serious!!!

Hi nuttyazn,

can you send me your 5D4N guide too to my email at widescreen123456789@gmail.com

thanks alot
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #8170

I will be going to taipei in oct. I was still deciding whether to get air tickets and hotels myself, or going thru the tour agency to book for me. I will be on free and easy trip with my fren. What do u all suggest
Old 02-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #8171

I will be going to taipei in oct. I was still deciding whether to get air tickets and hotels myself, or going thru the tour agency to book for me. I will be on free and easy trip with my fren. What do u all suggest
i am looking for a 5D4N free&easy trip in mid sep also.
any good tour agency that i can go for?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #8172
hbc

For the benefit of those who are lost in this mega thread.. http://crazy_azn1.tripod.com/taiwan/id23.html
Old 02-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #8173

For the benefit of those who are lost in this mega thread.. http://crazy_azn1.tripod.com/taiwan/id23.html
wat is this WLMJ that everyone is asking for?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #8174

i reading thru quite alot agency, they have few hotels to choose like Kilin, rainbow, ts and silk

i think the Giamso price not bad
Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #8175

1) People generally hire a cab for the day. Dun need to visit over 2 days. 4 hours shd be sufficient. Dun need to stay "somewhere nearby" coz there is only 1 hotel at the end of taroko gouge up into the mountains. just stay in hualien for the night if u wish to explore a bit of hualien. The drive to taroko is only 1h max.

2) yes, very accessible, the owner will help u arrange too. just call her from her to book place. Just say u're singaporean, she trust us quite a bit w/o deposit plus she'll pick u up from train station. Then also, let her know u need a cabbie for taroko visit, she'll arrange. the cabbie will help u tour taroko & hualien since u'll be staying for the nite.

3) generally, in taipei, 5 pple not acceptable. but cabbie shd be ok. at most charge a bit more. but u dun find it squeezy? ask the minsu owner for advice, maybe she can find a MPV cab for u. for me 2 person, the cabbie charge us NT$2k. its charged per tour, not by headcount. tell u wht, call the minsu owner & tell her that you need 1 cabbie for 5 person and try to get it at NT$2500 for the whole thing.

4) TP a lot of places eh... maybe ask in separate post :p
Thanks for your help Shadus!
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.