HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #8416
Supremacy Member

Is the exchange rate better in taipei den sg?
about the same... i only see their airport money changer 1 year ago when i was there

Last edited by CubeFX; 06-10-2007 at 03:13 AM..
Old 06-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #8417
High Supremacy Member

chinatown should have better rate. altho the "better" rate is like 0.05 diff only. so if u aint changing much. use credit card also same same
Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #8418

Wow! This is a bad typhoon we are having today. A cat 4 (US) same as that Katrina Hurricane. Nothing moving outside other than the storm. Unrelenting winds and rain what a bummer!!
Old 06-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #8419
Supremacy Member

I happened to be in Taipei for biz on 19 Sep during the Wypha typhoon and Taipei county was declared public holiday...didn't have to go office :p haha..but still have to work in hotel cos I already scheduled some conference calls with HK and China.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #8420

Hi Nutty,

how is the weather forecast ? how long will the typhoon last ?
We are flying in to Taipei tomorrow taking Jetstar. Actually planning to go Taroko on Monday, you think we may need to change our itinerary ?

Thanks in advanced
Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #8421

Talking Report from Tainan.

I am in my hotel now in Tainan. The typhoon is at its prime from now till tmr. All channels on my tv are about typhoon's damages done to the whole of Taiwan. When I was in Hualien and Taitung few days back, the waves is high, wind are strong.
Taipei, Huilien, Taitung, Yilan, Yanmengshan, Keelung and others (North and East area of Tiwan) are direct hit. Even I am in Tainan (Southwest of Taiwan), I get rain +++ and strong wind (i cant use my hotel's umbella).
I called my Taipei hotel, TS hotel and spoke to Conney this afternoon to send her my regards. She said that shops in Taipei are closed. Blackout are observed in some part of Taiwan. Many cities has stopped their city people to go school and work. This typhoon was discovered on Tuesday.
Right now on the news, there is two people lost in Yanmengshan.
Strongly advise: Avoid Taiwan for these few days, unless you are here to see the effect of this Typhoon.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #8422
Supremacy Member

oh man... going taiwan on 11 Oct. hope everything is over by then.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:22 PM   #8423
Supremacy Member

chinatown should have better rate. altho the "better" rate is like 0.05 diff only. so if u aint changing much. use credit card also same same
not sure abt other places..

i was quote 21.35 ~ 21.40 at toa payoh central by few money changers..

today happened to go to chinatown... was quoted 21.55 by many. so decided to change it.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #8424

To add on, do not come Taiwan for the next few days. Im currently in Tainan now, though not a direct hit, but the wind level is at 10 and raining cats and dogs. Taipei, Hualien, Yilan and Taidung are in critical conditions....so even if the Krosa typhoon is gone by monday, the aftermath arent gona be good...so yeh, my advise is to postpone a few days later and give them sometime to recuperate. Cites/towns/islands like Yilan, hualien, Taidung, Taipei,Su Ao and Lanyu etc are so close to the 'eye' of the tyhoon that wind level shoot as high as 16 and above, with major landslides, flooding etc. This tyhoon really caught the entire Taiwan by surprise ; radius of the the entire typhoon estimated is about 300km, which will easily overwhelm the whole country( initial report predicted its only 60km, and suppose to go southwards instead of northwards, and will continue towards southern part of china after Taiwan, and thats why im in Tainan now, whereby its not as bad as the entire parts)
Im not too sure about jetstar tix passengers, but they will charge for rebooking fee( or no changes allowed at all). For SQ q class and above, no worries, just call them up and they should make changes for you without any charges subject to availability.
Oh, it seems that the exchange rate in Taiwan is much better comparatively than in Sin.1sgd = 21.9twd for now.
Another word of advise : though hotels are kinda costly in Taiwan, its better to stay in a relatively good hotel( at least a good 3 star and above)l;facilities well equipped, bigger and more stable buildings and cosy/conducive environment will make your stay more worthwhile, and a bless if you encountered a typhoon( just like my situation now), since typhoon can come anytime.

Last edited by ShotoGuy; 06-10-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #8425

not sure abt other places..

i was quote 21.35 ~ 21.40 at toa payoh central by few money changers..

today happened to go to chinatown... was quoted 21.55 by many. so decided to change it.

last time i remembered lucky plaza. from macdonalds there. the 1st money changer... indian stall. sell fabrics as well.

their rates were pretty good.

then let's say online you check 21.69, it'll be 21.7... very very high.
then once i changed 4000nt ... like 1sgd = 21.8nt.

but now when i call and ask or go down and ask, their rate is about 21.4nt...
perhaps most are earning commission now. hah.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #8426

To add on, do not come Taiwan for the next few days. Im currently in Tainan now, though not a direct hit, but the wind level is at 10 and raining cats and dogs. Taipei, Hualien, Yilan and Taidung are in critical conditions....so even if the Krosa typhoon is gone by monday, the aftermath arent gona be good...so yeh, my advise is to postpone a few days later and give them sometime to recuperate. Cites/towns/islands like Yilan, hualien, Taidung, Taipei,Su Ao and Lanyu etc are so close to the 'eye' of the tyhoon that wind level shoot as high as 16 and above, with major landslides, flooding etc. This tyhoon really caught the entire Taiwan by surprise ; radius of the the entire typhoon estimated is about 300km, which will easily overwhelm the whole country( initial report predicted its only 60km, and suppose to go southwards instead of northwards, and will continue towards southern part of china after Taiwan, and thats why im in Tainan now, whereby its not as bad as the entire parts)
Im not too sure about jetstar tix passengers, but they will charge for rebooking fee( or no changes allowed at all). For SQ q class and above, no worries, just call them up and they should make changes for you without any charges subject to availability.
Oh, it seems that the exchange rate in Taiwan is much better comparatively than in Sin.1sgd = 21.9twd for now.
Another word of advise : though hotels are kinda costly in Taiwan, its better to stay in a relatively good hotel( at least a good 3 star and above)l;facilities well equipped, bigger and more stable buildings and cosy/conducive environment will make your stay more worthwhile, and a bless if you encountered a typhoon( just like my situation now), since typhoon can come anytime.
but friend's friend(twnese) says that its the typhoon season now.
i watched tvbs's news just now. alot of schools closed, shopping malls closed.
some boyband - NEWS's concert cancelled.
alot of flights cancelled.
alot of artiste's autograph sessions etc. cancelled/postponed.

may i ask, where's the place you changed that you get 1sgd = 21.9nt.
i think its partially because of the typhoon. the exchange rates are higher. =x
cos of economic reasons etc...
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #8427

not really, when i arrived taipei 1st oct, the exchange rate is already 21.9, they only know about the typhoon 2 days later, and gradually developed to a strong typhoon that will hit the entire Taiwan by Friday late night. The damages now are really bad, especially Keelung whereby the entire town is engulfed in darkness due to the shortage of electricity that was cut by the typhoon.
Nowadays weather is really very unforseeable, i was assured there's no typhoon cause alot of people presume its over, but apparently it came back, so yeh, just be prepared, and put plan b as backup.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #8428

where did you change the money?... or everywhere's the same rate..?..

yeah i saw the news saying MAJORITY of the places have electricity being cut. :/
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #8429

Tropical Storm Risk said Krosa was expected to weaken to a category 3 storm by early Sunday morning and a category 2 storm by the middle of Sunday, when it was expected to brush Zhejiang province of China, before heading northeast toward Fukuoka.

those who are going taiwan in upcoming days can had a better peace of mind btw, my flight to taipei was cancelled today
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #8430

Yup, but the typhoon is moving on very slowly( cause its too big, and the entire taiwan now is raining non stop and will continue even if the typhoon does go away by Monday), and there are predictions that may prolong the effect....hopefully by Monday it will subside, and i can go back to taipei and catch my flight sq875 on tuesday evening...most probably tml or monday morning will head over to Kaohsiung...will update again.
Oh, most of the rates are relatively the same( 1SGD = 21.9 TWD), even at taoyuan airport and major banks in Taiwan( As of right now). Unable to go Green island and Alishan due to the typhoon, went Taidung( I was only a night there on 4thoct, which was very very sunny yet windy,before the typhoon enveloped the entire city on the 5thoct night time, and now still ongoing very strong), and went Tainan( currently where im at), and to KHH by tml.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.