HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #8941

Food wise, we've tried:
-Smelly tofu (there's one along the way from wonstar towards MRT, near the neon print shop. nicest!)
-Hao da da ji pa @ Shi lin (go on weekdays before Friday, shorter queue.)
-Hu Jiao bing (pepper bun) @ shi lin. not bad

-Xian Cao Xian (Meet Fresh) - grass jelly ice with grass jelly with yam balls. UBER NICE!!! The nicest dessert we had...my hubby loves it so much we ate 3 times! i dont remember other forumers mentioned before and we stumbled upon it while walking in shi lin. very nice...go try! order their zhao pai. 50NT a bowl.

-Ah zhong mian xian @ XMD - dont really like. acquired taste.
-Ice Monster @ Yongkang street - youth pass got discount but i find that its super overrated. Nothing to shout about. and its way toooo expensive for the stuff we're getting. anytime we prefer xian cao xian though not really the same thing. haha but other fruity ice shops selling the same thing as ice monster at way lower price.

-Fei tian ma la steamboat - not bad leh. very worth it compared to ma la steamboat in singapore. near east dragon hotel. along same stretch.

- Tamagoya @ XMD - nothing to rave about.

- this salt and pepper mushrooms in danshui. very very uber nice!!! must try. we tried the one facing the river/sea with a green cute sign.

- this bird egg snack in dan shui - dont like! period!

- Super tall ice cream in dan shui - not bad

- beef noodles in shi lin night market - not bad. duno how to advise wheres the stall.

- oystal omelette - we tried the famous one with pictures of taiwanese drama corner with love. not that nice leh. spore's version nicer.

- din tai feng - ehhhhh found it to be very similar to spore's. so meaning spore wan got standard lah.

ehhh pardon the randomness. just thinking off head now of all the food i've eaten.
Old 26-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #8942

oh yahhhh...how could i forget the ya rou bian at XMD. not bad. must order breast meat. first time we order leg not so shiok coz all bones. we went back again on our last day. nice. of coz thats if you eat the garlic chilli.

Food wise, we've tried:
-Smelly tofu (there's one along the way from wonstar towards MRT, near the neon print shop. nicest!)
-Hao da da ji pa @ Shi lin (go on weekdays before Friday, shorter queue.)
-Hu Jiao bing (pepper bun) @ shi lin. not bad

-Xian Cao Xian (Meet Fresh) - grass jelly ice with grass jelly with yam balls. UBER NICE!!! The nicest dessert we had...my hubby loves it so much we ate 3 times! i dont remember other forumers mentioned before and we stumbled upon it while walking in shi lin. very nice...go try! order their zhao pai. 50NT a bowl.

-Ah zhong mian xian @ XMD - dont really like. acquired taste.
-Ice Monster @ Yongkang street - youth pass got discount but i find that its super overrated. Nothing to shout about. and its way toooo expensive for the stuff we're getting. anytime we prefer xian cao xian though not really the same thing. haha but other fruity ice shops selling the same thing as ice monster at way lower price.

-Fei tian ma la steamboat - not bad leh. very worth it compared to ma la steamboat in singapore. near east dragon hotel. along same stretch.

- Tamagoya @ XMD - nothing to rave about.

- this salt and pepper mushrooms in danshui. very very uber nice!!! must try. we tried the one facing the river/sea with a green cute sign.

- this bird egg snack in dan shui - dont like! period!

- Super tall ice cream in dan shui - not bad

- beef noodles in shi lin night market - not bad. duno how to advise wheres the stall.

- oystal omelette - we tried the famous one with pictures of taiwanese drama corner with love. not that nice leh. spore's version nicer.

- din tai feng - ehhhhh found it to be very similar to spore's. so meaning spore wan got standard lah.

ehhh pardon the randomness. just thinking off head now of all the food i've eaten.
Old 26-12-2007, 02:55 PM   #8943

shopping wise, its 80% winter wear. can buy and keep for times you travel to winter countries loh. there're quite some wears that are thin enough for spore. have to slowly browse loh.

wufenpu is the best to shop in. most amount of stuff but mostly women's wear. but men also but more limited. best to go tue to thur. we went on thur and again on sunday, we could tell the difference man. weekends are super crowded. just going with the flow cannot even stop to browse. the streets are very narrow. we could shop more leisurely on thur. this place can bargain. for example, my hubby's jean's first quoted 980NT. we only paid 680nt. its the G-Star piece. women's stuff less mark up. basically minus 100-200NT off. walk around and have a feel of the pricing first before buying. those bargains hanging outside on the rack is already discounted so dont need to bargain.

shi lin got more shoes. they've got nicer bags and clothes too but of coz more pricey. Also nicer accessories.

XMD - nothing to shop that you cannot buy in Shi Lin or Wu fenpu. i first saw a cute little mirror there and bought it right away at 100NT. when i went shi lin then realised kenna ripped off. in shi lin selling 3 for 100NT!!! faints...

overall i thought the wu fen pu is very big. nice to browse browse. but stuff overall in taiwan is not that cheap. but quality not bad. just a little bit cheaper than spore. personally find that hong kong is a nicer place to shop and eat.
Old 26-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #8944

if you're chinese, i would strongly recommend free and easy. esp travelling with an older person and a baby. you can adjust your schedule accordingly. visit only the places convenient and enjoyable to you at pace suitable to you.

its very very easy to get around taipei with the MRT. and the taiwaneses are uber friendly. but if you want to venture further out, out of taipei, then its more inconvenient lah. i would suggest you keep more to taipei. take a leisurely travel.

which month nicest is very subjective lah. we love cold so winter is the best to us. but shopping wise of coz summer clothes better. but it'll be very hot. we were there mid dec and we were blessed with good weather with no rain except the last day.

if wanna go free and easy, its not difficult. just do your homework before hand.

guy! help..

ask u all, if u all nvr go to taiwan before, and wan to visit taiwan with ur family and a kid below 2 yrs old in tow, you would prefer to go on free and easy? or go with tour better? things prefer to do is like to go to the night market, try the food of taiwan, some light shopping or other tourism spots of taiwan..

is it difficult to go on free and easy for ppl who nvr go be4? which month's weather is the nicest?

sorry.. alot of qns coz im really travellin idiot here, but wanna bring my mum to taiwan as she have been wishin to visit taiwan for very long time, and she had nvr been to country further than malaysia all her life..
Old 26-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #8945

anyone know how much nintendo wii is selling for in taiwan? Is it US version or Jap? Me going taiwan if the price good enough may bring a few set for my friends.
http://shopping.pchome.com.tw/lib/se...php?target=Wii
U can get price estimate here.
Old 26-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #8946

Are shops during new year period close?
And places like Night Markets, CKS etc..
Mostly closed on CNY Eve after 6pm and on NYDay. However, in recent years, many shops also open up soon on NYDay and the 2nd day as they want to get the "Hong Bao" Dollars. Lot of sales at that time too.
Old 26-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #8947

hi would like to ask where can i change Taiwan dollar(best rate) in sg as im going taiwan next mon..
if i change at CKS international airport, the rate is better? can confirm?
kinda better..i changed in S;pore for 1 to 21.2...went to TW on 14th..rate was 1 to 21.78 over there....dropped to 21.60 on 22nd which was my last day..
Old 26-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #8948

TS Hotel service is good...especially the night shift uncles who gave advice on where to go and how to go..rooms are not bad also...quite spacious.,..
Old 26-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #8949
Banned

is TAIWAN going to have a WAR?
Old 27-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #8950
Master Member

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_190288.html

ST Forum: Travel nightmare to Taiwan for group of 19

WE BOOKED a four-day three-night guided tour for 19 of us to Taiwan with New Shan Travel.

It was a nightmare. On arrival at Chiang Kai Shek airport, there was nobody to pick us up to the hotel.

When we called the emergency phone number of the Taiwan tour agent, we were informed that there was no such group booked by New Shan Singapore. Frantic, we called New Shan Travel. After wasting one hour and 15 minutes and expensive IDD charges to Singapore, they managed at last minute to 'hijack' a bus meant for another group to transfer us to our hotel.

Worse still, the bus driver did not know the way to Rainbow Hotel and we wasted another 15 minutes for him to call his office to get directions to our hotel.

On arrival at Rainbow Hotel, we were informed by the hotel concierge that our booking was done on the very afternoon of our arrival date and they had not prepared the correct rooms for us - twins, doubles, triples, etc. Not enough twin rooms for last-minute booking by New Shan Travel, or the Taiwan agent, Polo Travel.

We booked this dream holiday in August and this is the kind of experience we get from New Shan Travel.

Case should look into these sub-standard practices.

Lim Boon Hee
Old 27-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #8951

Hi,
I am plannning to travel down from Taipei --> ChingJing -->TaiChung
in my coming trip to Taiwan.
Hope to experience a Ching Jing nature and TaiChung fun in my trip.
I need recommendation on the Hotel stay in both Ching Jing and TaiChung.
For Ching Jing-
Anyone stayed in 香格里拉空中花園山莊, 白雲渡假山莊, 清境見晴花園渡假山莊 or others ??
What are the recommended or must do, eat and places to go in Ching Jing
For TaiChung-
Any popular hotel near easy accessible and near the FengJia night market
What are the recommended or must do, eat and places to go in TaiChung?
Hi there,

I hope i can help with the TaiChung portion. There is a superb business hotel i stayed in which is just behind the train station. I think i only paid like NTD 1200 for a very very good room (Delux room i think). Someone in this forum very long ago has recommended this hotel. I would say this is prob good enough to be a 4-star hotel. Very value for money although they only occupy a few floor of the building. The rate in the website is different from the one they quote me. I think they gave me discount on wkend OR they have some special promotion. Call and check with them better. Location is good as its just behind the Taichung train station

http://www.zaw-jung.com/

Just to take note if you are not staying anywhere near Fengjia nite mkt, the last bus back to the train station is at abt 9pm++. The bus services end there super early. I have to end up taking a cab back, but i think cost only abt NTD150-200 (still okie lar).
Old 27-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #8952
Master Member

heh, i've stayed in zaw-jung before. but find it v. old and used. dun like it as i really dun like old hotels with those dirty carpet flooring.

btw, taichung is so happening now. there's this "nine flag" area. imagine our st james x a few buildings like tht there!!! and theirs is not just pub biz, it also hv massage, ktv, karaoke, foot massage and all those stuff.... haha. its like FULL house every nite from 11pm onwards
Old 27-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #8953

I am planning to take the high speed rail to kaohsiung in the morning, stay overnite in kaohsiung for one night check out hotel the next day

but still shop around the city as i leave my luggages with the hotel then depart around midnight from kaohsiung by bus so i can save 1 night of accomodation.

any kind soul can help me identify which time slot is the best for taking the bus from kaohsiung to taipei if i want to reach taipei around 7-8am in the morning and also which is the most comfortable intercity bus available.

thanks
I have taken the intercity bus from Taipei to KaoHsuing before. My advice is that not to do it because its very tiring.

I took the 12midnight bus from taipei to Kaohsiung and reach there abt 6am. First, i am confused with the direction and dun know how to get to my hotel which is near the train station. I spend nearly 30min orientating my direction. Then i finally reach my hotel. And my stupid hotel tell me that they are fully booked despite that i book an additional nite for the nite before so that i can check in the morning. If you do not need to be there die die by 7am, i suggest that you take the earlier train from taipei and i think will reach Kaohsiung abt 11am which is good enough if you are only doing sightseeing.

If you really want to take a bus, i think better to take Guo guang. I toke the cheaper one, green colour bus and i forgot the bus company name, it is not comfortable at all. FYI, all the buses depart hourly from taipei so no need to scared that there is no bus.
Old 27-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #8954

heh, i've stayed in zaw-jung before. but find it v. old and used. dun like it as i really dun like old hotels with those dirty carpet flooring.

btw, taichung is so happening now. there's this "nine flag" area. imagine our st james x a few buildings like tht there!!! and theirs is not just pub biz, it also hv massage, ktv, karaoke, foot massage and all those stuff.... haha. its like FULL house every nite from 11pm onwards
I just stayed there in June this year. They told me they just renovated. But i stayed in the deluxe room so maybe better. If you are talking abt the carpet outside the hotel rm, i may agree with you that its old but dun think its dirty. Well maybe my standard for hotel rm is lower.
Old 27-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #8955

Re: http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_190288.html
They should have come to the forum and DIY'd it like all of you. Lots of Info here.
Had a Chap called Simson on the TA Board: Brought 18 people on a DIY trip a couple of years ago, Was very happy with his self Tour.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.