Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #9001

eh
period travelled: 19-24 dec
airtickets - we took jetstar...its 496 per pax all inclusive
airport transfer via freego - 140NT per pax per way.
Wonstar hotel for 5 nights is 12000NT (ours is the 2nd category, not the cheapest room coz cheapest room was fully booked...but got jacuzzi bathtub! =P)

getting around taiwan - we purchased a 500NT "ezlink" card...still got balance after the trip

food and expenses wise i really cannot remember...i know i spent 500sing dollars on shopping. coz thats my money. the rest like food and stuff paid by hubby leh. think we spent about 1.5-2k? personal expenses wise really depends on individuals lah...

but the food there is not expensive. resturants is like singapore's pricings. street food is cheaper loh. breakfast is provided by hotel. on average we spent about 100 to 150NT per pax per meal? plus minus lah. restaurants more ex loh. in between oso bought snacks like 50nt kind.

shopping wise...i was stocking up winter wear for my next trip to australia in middle of year. so shopping was good for me. winter wear at cheap cheap prices. but managed to find some summer wear too esp tank tops and cardis. go wufenpu to shop. shoes and bags too!

hope this helps...
seem like taiwan not that cheap. but seem fun though
Old 01-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #9002
Master Member

Taipei now is quite cold. If I remembered correctly, the 寒流started probably 2 to 3 days ago and temperature dipped to about 7 to 8 degress celcius over at 淡水 while places like 石牌 or 天母 where i stay stays around 9 to 10 degrees celcius. Yesterday night at Taipei 101 was average probably because of the crowd. I actually felt hot and was sweating despite the cool weather. Man, the fireworks were great. Overall, Singapore's new year count down event pales to comparison to that of Taipei. After the countdown, I got a place at eighteen and celebrated throughout the night. There was even a FHM party with bikini dancing around mitsukoshi area where there's a 2 storey car park.

Anyway, back to the topic, for those wanting to come over to Taiwan this coming January, do bring along say a sweater or jacket as it gets quite cold in the morning and later afternoon till late night.

Anyway, for those who are already in Taiwan, there's a car show going on at Taipei 101 and for those who are interested, you should go for a visit as there are many good stuff featured over there.

Oh, and another side note, for ladies travelling there, if you have the time, do check out club eighteen, its ladies night tomorrow!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #9003
Arch-Supremacy Member

haha,i just returned from taiwan last week..very fun & the girls there,GORGEOUS!!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #9004
Master Member

Anyway for those wanting to have great fun and great food at budget prices, do try out those 吃到饱 restaurants in town. 辣中间 at 敦化北路 district offers great steam boat buffet while 出一张嘴 at 南京东路 offers yakiniku barbeque buffet style together with ice cream from movenpick. For those wanting to try out local delights, you have the usual Shi Lin stuff like Hao Da chicken patty or the Mi Shu chicken patty a.k.a M.S.G.P as well as the famous Shi Lin 大香肠. Also, there is the famous Tao Yuan Street Beef Noodle that is near the president's office and don't forget to check out 永康街 as it has many things to offer like 冰馆 desert shop and 宜阑葱油饼. For those who like the Oyster Noodles, forget about Ah Zhong Mian Xian as its overated and I don't understand why people bother going over there. The Oyster Noodles at 油库口,板桥 is much better and don't forget to try out the 台湾香肠 there as well. Of course, we musn't forget the 卤肉饭 at 城煌庙,新竹. Of course, Taipei has lots more to offer and a whole list of great places to wine and dine at but these are few of the cheap and good stuff to try out if you're going to visit Taipei for a few days.

Overall, both Taiwan and Singapore has lots to offer but as a native Taiwanese, and from the entertainment point of view, Taipei, just Taipei alone, and not even the whole of Taiwan already has lots more to offer than Singapore. The food is better, price is cheaper and its a city that I feel has more vibe and dynamism that Singapore simply cannot match up to.

And oh yeah, Taiwan girls are hotter and prettier than Singapore girls on the average, no offence but gosh, my cousins' all have pretty girl friends and wives...
Old 01-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #9005
Master Member

oops, double posting...
Old 02-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #9006

club eighteen*

where's it located? is it far from simengding?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #9007

HuaLien infro

JUst come back from Taipei, For those that want to book cabbie in Hualien you could consider Liu Wen Hua 0919-281878. Just call him to confirm(I am using public phone at taipei main station After purchased the train ticket). recommend 2 to 3 person. Cost is NTD1800. Take the 7.08 a.m morning train, reach Hualien around 10A.M. Have some nice Dumpling as recommended by him, then head all the way to Taroko and the last destination is Qi Xin tang (Sea Side). Beautiful scenery. Got a train back to taipei at 7p.m. remember to get the zao biao bian dang.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #9008
Banned

hualian got wat thing to see and do ?
Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 AM   #9009

Hi, its my first night in Taipei. After arrival, I went to hotel (TS Hotel) to checkin and then went to Wufenpu and Raohe. I like Wufenpu but resisted buying too much because all the designs are winter... not suitable for SG weather... must come again during their summer sale.

Then I walked to Raohe Night Market for Street Food and dinner.. I like Raohe.. good variety of food and also they have economical Jap food (including Sashimi counter!?) - must try...

After Raohe I went to Maomingshan (off Shilin) for hot spring bath. 2 pax NT$500 only for private room for 40 minutes. First time to hot spring with SO.. so fun! And excellent value. But its the taxi ride from Ximen to Maomingshan that can kill... around NT$300 one way. Will go back to Maomingshan again, as it is economical and very local (don't see tourists...) but this time will take MRT to Shilin then change to taxi (50% discount).

Will update again...
Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #9010

anyone have any idea hw much does it cost me to buy a taiwan Prepaid Sim Card so i can use it on my Handphone instead of using singapore roaming to call to each other if we went missing in taiwan?

Last edited by cschua76; 03-01-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #9011
Supremacy Member

Hi, its my first night in Taipei. After arrival, I went to hotel (TS Hotel) to checkin and then went to Wufenpu and Raohe. I like Wufenpu but resisted buying too much because all the designs are winter... not suitable for SG weather... must come again during their summer sale.

Then I walked to Raohe Night Market for Street Food and dinner.. I like Raohe.. good variety of food and also they have economical Jap food (including Sashimi counter!?) - must try...

After Raohe I went to Maomingshan (off Shilin) for hot spring bath. 2 pax NT$500 only for private room for 40 minutes. First time to hot spring with SO.. so fun! And excellent value. But its the taxi ride from Ximen to Maomingshan that can kill... around NT$300 one way. Will go back to Maomingshan again, as it is economical and very local (don't see tourists...) but this time will take MRT to Shilin then change to taxi (50% discount).

Will update again...
Wow sounds nice~ =) Enjoy ur trip ruthie~ Do continue to post updates! going in apr wana plan my itenary so can book hotels
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM   #9012

seem like taiwan not that cheap. but seem fun though
well i've been to many parts of Asia and find that Taiwan is not cheap lah. Pretty much similar to Singapore. but of coz much more variety there. in fact, i find hong kong to be even cheaper than taiwan...airfare, hotel and eating choices and even shopping...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #9013

well i've been to many parts of Asia and find that Taiwan is not cheap lah. Pretty much similar to Singapore. but of coz much more variety there. in fact, i find hong kong to be even cheaper than taiwan...airfare, hotel and eating choices and even shopping...

Nah HK is not that cheap, its only the airfares that is cheap. Like stuff in the nite market is the same as what you can see in Singapore Pasa Malam and most of them are much more expensive as they jerk up the price alot. Food wise its like the price in Singapore. For taiwan they have much more variety and choices and many rare stuff you can't find in Singapore Pasa Malam. Hotel wise i do not know how much they charge, all i know is in Taiwan, you can find hotels @ SGD$100 per nite with free Internet Access.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #9014
Master Member

Will update again...
To get to Yang Ming Shan, you could take the Taipei Metro to Jian Tan station, then transfer to Red 5 public bus on the side of the road facing Gong You Shilin Guan Guang Shi Chang (where all the local delicacies are found under one roof). It should cost you about NT25 per person if I remember correctly.

Alight at the Wen Hua Da Xue (Cultural University), and walk to Yang Ming Shan, which is located just to the rear gate of the institution. Interesting things to note are that there is actually a small self-sustained town for the students there, with convenience stores, roadside hawkers, and even LAN shops and a gaming arcade with their immensely popular basketball challenge! Walking through a section of the institution, you'll be able to see their student hostel and activity courts, which would be still bustling with activity even after it gets dark.

To get back to Jian Tan station, simply take the Red 5 public bus from the side of the road opposite to which you alighted.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #9015
Master Member

club eighteen*

where's it located? is it far from simengding?

Its at Taipei 101 Xing Yi Road. There's another club called LAVA that you can consider. Anyway, for club eighteen, there's a 90% chance you'll meet local taiwan celebrities if you go there. And there's alot of hot girls inside...You know, clad in bikinis or near topless dancing stuff like that sometimes. WEdnesday nights are ladies night.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.