HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #9016

Hi, its my first night in Taipei. After arrival, I went to hotel (TS Hotel) to checkin and then went to Wufenpu and Raohe. I like Wufenpu but resisted buying too much because all the designs are winter... not suitable for SG weather... must come again during their summer sale.

Then I walked to Raohe Night Market for Street Food and dinner.. I like Raohe.. good variety of food and also they have economical Jap food (including Sashimi counter!?) - must try...

After Raohe I went to Maomingshan (off Shilin) for hot spring bath. 2 pax NT$500 only for private room for 40 minutes. First time to hot spring with SO.. so fun! And excellent value. But its the taxi ride from Ximen to Maomingshan that can kill... around NT$300 one way. Will go back to Maomingshan again, as it is economical and very local (don't see tourists...) but this time will take MRT to Shilin then change to taxi (50% discount).

Will update again...

wah...shld at least buy some mah..I bought some long sleeve shirts there..
I stayed at TS Hotel too...the staff there are helpful...especially the night shift guys..

the PC at the lobby is abit slow though..but better than nothing...my room was at the 5th floor...quite spacious..
Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #9017

anyone have any idea hw much does it cost me to buy a taiwan Prepaid Sim Card so i can use it on my Handphone instead of using singapore roaming to call to each other if we went missing in taiwan?
i got mine for NT300 at the airport..turn left when u exit and u will see 2 counters...diff telco though..
Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #9018

well i've been to many parts of Asia and find that Taiwan is not cheap lah. Pretty much similar to Singapore. but of coz much more variety there. in fact, i find hong kong to be even cheaper than taiwan...airfare, hotel and eating choices and even shopping...
I prefer TW though....people seem more friendlier and girls are prettier??

I booked my tix end of Oct..Jetstar...$750 per pax.... how early did you booked yours?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #9019

Its at Taipei 101 Xing Yi Road. There's another club called LAVA that you can consider. Anyway, for club eighteen, there's a 90% chance you'll meet local taiwan celebrities if you go there. And there's alot of hot girls inside...You know, clad in bikinis or near topless dancing stuff like that sometimes. WEdnesday nights are ladies night.
I went to Plush on a Wed night...girls so so lah..no bikini de...not much people also..
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #9020

i'm planning to go taipei during cny... 6th-9th Feb... do u think the shops will be open??? especially the night markets??? i dun wan to end up going there to watch tv only...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #9021

shop will be close on the eve after 6.30pm and open on the next day. I'm going on the 3rd feb to 8th, tickets on the 9th is far more too expensive. Now jetstar is having low fare rates for 3days, can check it out, i booked for $563 ;p
Old 04-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #9022
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm going back to Taipei again! How's the weather like in March and April?

Anyone knows where is the 'sim lim square' in Taipei because the last time I went I simply couldn't find it and the passerbys had no idea hence missed it.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #9023
Master Member

I'm going back to Taipei again! How's the weather like in March and April?

Anyone knows where is the 'sim lim square' in Taipei because the last time I went I simply couldn't find it and the passerbys had no idea hence missed it.
There could be a couple of "Sim Lim Square"-like places in Taipei itself, but one that I've visited is located near the Taipei Main Station of the Taipei Metro. Just get to the ground level of the station, and you should see the Taipei Tai Tie (Old train service) station. The building is located just opposite it, across the road, beside the Xin Guang San Yue shopping mall. It has about 4 storeys worth of stores selling electronic goods, but the prices are about the same as that in Singapore. There are some unique items though, such as models of Lian Li computer cases that I've never seen in Singapore. A must-visit place in the building itself is the Gundam Base Taipei, which showcases lots of Gundam models in glass displays, and has a couple of human-sized Gundam models to boot! It's featured in one of the local tourist guides and is a good place for photo-taking (Not sure whether it's officially allowed by the store though).

Some pictures of Gundam Base Taipei:

Gundam Base Taipei frontage

Human-sized Gundams - Pretty cool, even though I'm not an avid fan myself!

Last edited by EppY; 06-01-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Old 05-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #9024

I am supposed to choose between futurestar and TS hotel for my 11 days trip next month.

Could someone tell me how's the bed in TS? Is it as hard as those in futurestar. I didnt sleep for 2 days when i stayed over at futurestar during my last trip coz the bed there was super hard.

Another point to consider is: I would want to know whether futurestar is still giving out the 200NT voucher? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #9025
Supremacy Member

There could be a couple of "Sim Lim Square"-like places in Taipei itself, but one that I've visited is located near the Taipei Main Station of the Taipei Metro. Just get to the ground level of the station, and you should see the Taipei Tai Tie (Old train service) station. The building is located just opposite it, across the road, beside the Xin Guang San Yue shopping mall. It has about 4 storeys worth of stores selling electronic goods, but the prices are about the same as that in Singapore. There are some unique items though, such as models of Lian Li computer cases that I've never seen in Singapore. A must-visit place in the building itself is the Gundam Base Taipei, which showcases lots of Gundam models in glass displays, and has a couple of human-sized Gundam models to boot! It's featured in one of the local tourist guides and is a good place for photo-taking (Not sure whether it's officially allowed by the store though).
yes beside kmall but products very limited (is just like 2nd floor of suntec with a few shops selling computer stuff and hp stuff), the other one is at guang hua computer market (5 minutes walk from Zhongxiao Xinsheng mrt)
Old 05-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #9026
Supremacy Member

i'm planning to go taipei during cny... 6th-9th Feb... do u think the shops will be open??? especially the night markets??? i dun wan to end up going there to watch tv only...
actually it isn't wise to go any chinese country during cny... you will miss out more things.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 AM   #9027
Supremacy Member

anyone have any idea hw much does it cost me to buy a taiwan Prepaid Sim Card so i can use it on my Handphone instead of using singapore roaming to call to each other if we went missing in taiwan?
it isn't that expensive using auto roaming and anyway it's once in a blue moon... i've tried it before... calling friends on same trip a few times everyday for a week.. bill only 30-40sgd
Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 AM   #9028

i think prices for airtix will go up, yesterday papers us$100 per oil barrel. expect the rises of airtix prices.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #9029
Honorary Member

hi where can i find hotel rates around xi men ding area? any afforable and good hotel to intro? thanks!

[URL="http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dxsibo/popular-interesting/"][IMG]http://www.flickriver.com/badge/user/all/interesting/shuffle/medium-tiny/030000/fbfbfb/25068003@N03.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1]"Photography is not about cameras, gadgets and gizmos. Photography is about photographers." - Peter Adams[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-01-2008, 05:33 AM   #9030

I bought FarEastTone/遠傳's prepaid sim card.
Bought the NT$1000 value. Cos it has more value inside. Think NT$3000.

Overseas sms costs NT$5.
Local sms(Taiwan) costs NT$3.

Overseas calls NT$8.4/min.

Need to be 20 and above to get it though. /=
(So get your friends or someone to get it.)

Local(Taiwan) free incoming calls.

I don't know if you will keep calling home. But I did it very often.
Hence, I used about NT$3000 for phone calls -_-!!!

Top up cards for prepaid sim card can be bought from 7-11 stores... etc.
Prepaid sim card best to get it at airport cos can activate it immediately.
If you get it outside, then need within 24 hours...
Their prepaid sim cards can only be bought from the telco company itself. /=
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.