HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 AM   #9076

I walked with my cousin and friends from the stage at 101 all the way to Song Shan Guo Jun army hospital...haha. beat that...it was a solid 1 and a half hour walk. I think we half froze to death... But great experience!
Ok, mine "only" 1hr walk, but half froze to death? quite warm leh (mabbe bcoz of the walking)...
Old 11-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #9077

heard from alot of ppl tt there wun be any fireworks at taipei 101 starting frm nx yr...
Old 11-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #9078

Correct. The Top 3 sections of 101 stil without tenants but will be fully occupied in 2008 . The could be some law making it not possible to host the Fireworks display next year.

We took a bus from across the TGIF on Keelung Road to Linguang MRT then headed back home in Neihu. All in all , It still took 2 hrs.

The experience is always worth it, although the Fireworks , Live, seemed a bit short
Old 11-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #9079

hi, anyone can tell mi this any of this 3 hotel is located near or @ ximending?
Agora Garden Taipei
Holiday inn asiaworld Taipei
The Sherwood Taipei

thanks, helping a friend to check, as i nv went taipei before..
Why?? Going to Ximenting is not a problem from anywhere in Taipei by MRT or bus. Hotel wise, I'd put Agora Garden 1st, then Sherwood 2nd and Asiaworld last.

Agora Garden near Xinyi Shopping area.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #9080
Master Member

er...

wanna check with you guys,
is there any tourist 1-day pass for trains in tw?
I noe certain countries have em specially for tourists
but not sure tw have em or not?

if there is, how to buy em?
very hard to search thru 600++ pages =X
thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #9081
Master Member

Ok, mine "only" 1hr walk, but half froze to death? quite warm leh (mabbe bcoz of the walking)...
Warm cause you're probably walking alot but we paced till the hospital and the road was dead empty and wide open with wind blowing. And I ate ice cream wahahaha. Anyway, Hopefully, they cancel the safety issue thinggie with authorities and allow fireworks this year end.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #9082
Master Member

er...

wanna check with you guys,
is there any tourist 1-day pass for trains in tw?
I noe certain countries have em specially for tourists
but not sure tw have em or not?

if there is, how to buy em?
very hard to search thru 600++ pages =X
thanks in advance
I only know the You You Card is NT500. I've not bought it for some time since I last got it. Got to check. My aunt's one is credit card cum train card and when the stored value drops to dual digits, it will auto help you top up.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #9083
Banned

is my iternary OK ?

Day 1 – TUES 15TH JAN

Check in TS Hotel- Transit to hotel via Freego Bus 飛狗巴士 - Fare NT$135 (S$6.46). (Get contact - to check on return to airport on last day)

Day 2 – WED 16th JAN

• Sun Yat Sen Memorial 國父紀念館 – MRT ,Get off Sun Yat Sen Memorial station
• Taipei 101 - Get off at Taipei City Hall stn (市政府捷運站), take free shuttle bus 11am-10pm, every 20min
Warner Village (theater) / NewYorkNewYork shopping mall - nearby Taipei 101 mall, walk
• WuFenPu - get off at Houshanpi Stn 後山埤站, Exit 4, walk.
4:30PM-10PM during weekdays, until 1-2 AM for Fri & Sat (Monday is a wholesale day)
• Raohe St. night market 饒河夜市 - Wufenpu is on one side and the other side is Raohe night market. Across the road at the松山火車站and use the overhead bridge to get to 饒河夜市

Day 3 – THURS 17TH JAN

• Yangmingshan- YMS opens early and the first bus up the mountain starts at 5.30am
Yangmingshan Xiaoyoukeng Volcano • Yangmingshan National Park
• Beitou hot Spring Museum- 9-5pm free
• Spring City Resort – Free shuttle Bus Xin Beitou Mrt Station
• Danshui Street – Alight at Dan Shui Mrt
Lover’s Bridge - (Best to view Sunset)
Fisherman Wharf - Take MRT to 淡水站 Danshui Stn and transfer bus Red 26 or ferry
• Shilin Night Market - Take MRT to Jiantan station, the night market is just opposite the station. 07:00 PM - 01:30 AM

Day 4 – FRI 18TH JAN

• Longshan Temple - daily 6am-10pm - MRT Ban-Nan Line (blue line) - Longshan Temple Station - walk north, across Mangka park.
• CKS - daily 9am-5pm free- Take the MRT Danshui Line and get off at the CKS Memorial Hall Station and take Exit 5.
• Wulai - Danshui line (red) change to Xindian line (green). From Xindian Station, take right hand exit to busstop outside. Take Xindian bus to Wulai - every 20 min
• Nanshih Bridge - walk to the falls for 20min OR take the miniature railway
Wulai Falls
Cable car - across river to Yunsian Dreamland on top of waterfall

Day 5 – SAT 19TH JAN

• National Palace Museum: (0900-1700 hrs)
Take the MRT Danshui Line to the Shilin Station , look for Zhongzheng rd exit and take bus R30 (Red 30) to the National Palace Museum. Other routes that will take you to and near the Museum plaza are buses 255, 304, Minibus 18 and Minibus 19.
• Martyrs Shrine daily 9-5pm, free - Danshui line, get off at Jiantan stn, 1km east of Jiantan station not far from Keelung river
• Miramar Entertainment Park 11:00am-00:00am - new shopping mall in Dazhi, just north of Keelung river
Take MRT to Jiantan 劍潭站, exit right and transfer free shuttle bus. If the line is too long, take public bus 167
• Miramar Ferri Wheel 台北美麗華摩天輪 (Tickets : NT$200 on weekends;NT$150 during the week.)

Day 6 – SUN 20TH JAN

• Underground mall 台北地下街 at Taipei Main station 11:00 AM - 10:00 PM
• Yeliu - Taipei main station underground mall exit 9 - go to Taipei Inter City Bus Terminal 国道客运台北总站.
Take 国光Kuo Kuang bus or大有 Da You Bus to Yeliou (NT85) and Jinshan (NT100) daily 5.40am-10.40pm every 10-20min
bus stand is already slightly over the entrance to 野柳Geological Park. You have to walk backward and soon turn left to the town. Walk straight all the way for 10 minutes and you are there.
• Jiufen – At Yeliu, just opposite to where you alight, the bus goes to ‘Keelung’. Alight at the Keelung station and transfer to a bus that brings you to Jiufen(it may say Jinguashih as the terminal stop, just ask the driver, you need to find out how much to pay too).

Day 7 – MON 21ST JAN

Last Mins Shopping….

Home Sweet Home!

Shopping Optional places :
• Huaxi night market 華西街夜市 at Long Shan Temple Mrt
• Keelung Miao Kou Temple Plaza Night Market -
• ZhongXiaoDongLu 忠孝東路SOGO商圈
• Tian Mu - 02:00 PM – 09:00 PM - 1) Take MRT to Shipai 石牌站, exit turn right across the street take Bus R19
• Donggua Nite Market ( DongGuan Mrt)
• Hard rock cafι / clubs /bars- Get off at Nanjing stn. Walk to Minsheng rd (hardrock) / Dunhua (clubs)
• Miniatures Museum of Taiwan - Taipei Main station : Change to Bus Route 307 , 527 to NanJing JianGuo Intersection
Old 11-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #9084
Master Member

Hi, can anyone advise where to stay in Gaoxiong? Any recommended hotel? Thanks
Old 11-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #9085
Master Member

how to get to 光华商场 while in Taipei.. nearest MRT stn?
Old 11-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #9086
WJY
Master Member

Hi, can anyone advise where to stay in Gaoxiong? Any recommended hotel? Thanks
try splendor hotel at kaohsiung. they got quite a good deal.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #9087

I just came back from taipei.. And found out that the exchange rate that dbs gives for money withdrawal is better than the exchange rate i got here locally and what I saw over at the money exchangers there. The exchange rate I got for withdrawing from the atm over there was 22.19 with a $5 surcharge of course.
i think its better to change your money in taiwan.
cos the bank rates are higher. can change at the airport.
got quite a few money changers. the rates ARE DEFINITELY higher...
(else you have to go bank to change. but there are ALOT of banks in taiwan!)

then i'd rather people use their DBS mastercard/visa to purchase stuffs than to withdraw from atm.
cos the rate from DBS is higher than UOB. =x
i charged on 4th twice, and after checking the statement online, the rate is 22.0nt=s$1.
cos if say you withdraw money, you still have to pay for the surcharge of s$5. which i think its not worth for the high exchange rate. (meaning you pay back for the exchange rate which is rather ...)

and i think there's a limit one can withdraw.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #9088

how to get to 光华商场 while in Taipei.. nearest MRT stn?
you can alight at zhongxiao xinsheng if i rem correctly, come out from exit 4 then walk to the 2nd junction n turn left to cross over. Walk all e way down n u will c a blue colour construction house... tts guang hua alreadi.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #9089

i think its better to change your money in taiwan.
cos the bank rates are higher. can change at the airport.
got quite a few money changers. the rates ARE DEFINITELY higher...
(else you have to go bank to change. but there are ALOT of banks in taiwan!)

then i'd rather people use their DBS mastercard/visa to purchase stuffs than to withdraw from atm.
cos the rate from DBS is higher than UOB. =x
i charged on 4th twice, and after checking the statement online, the rate is 22.0nt=s$1.
cos if say you withdraw money, you still have to pay for the surcharge of s$5. which i think its not worth for the high exchange rate. (meaning you pay back for the exchange rate which is rather ...)

and i think there's a limit one can withdraw.
ya... it's better to change at taipei, i change at a rate of 21.78 at the airport and 21.94 at taipei bank. if you swipe card, i get a rate of 22.05 for uob card. It's qt worth to swipe card...
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #9090

Warm cause you're probably walking alot but we paced till the hospital and the road was dead empty and wide open with wind blowing. And I ate ice cream wahahaha. Anyway, Hopefully, they cancel the safety issue thinggie with authorities and allow fireworks this year end.
Well, even if taipei101 got no fireworks, everyone else is firing their own
And as nuttyazn said, the taipei101 one is kinda short... I was alittle surprised that it had ended when it did...
Nevertheless, am glad I had experience it once.

Last edited by wuso; 12-01-2008 at 12:13 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.