HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM   #1066
Supremacy Member

jiufen still got some nice scenic spots...if u have time, u can go..
Old 08-05-2005, 06:17 PM   #1067
pop
Master Member

jiufen is probably not for everyone. I like jiufen a lot. I think you will appreciate jiufen more if you know its politcal history. When I was there, it was winter, drizzling and very gloomy that day and the mountains were misty. It really brought out the melancholic past of jiufen. Somehow history seemed to come alive for me. Plus eating the hot yam dumplings on a cold wet day was really shiok.

Nearby, there is a Gold Museum which has just opened not long ago. It's actually showcasing the gold mines of the past and it's history. I didn't manage to go but saw a bit of it on TV. Seems quite a big place.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:37 PM   #1068

jiu fen not much to see .... but i like to eat the beef noodles ... very nice .... visiting there is somewhat simliar like genting feeling ... coolin ....

Old 08-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #1069

one way onli isit...
the current promo is $118 one way. plus tax about $70 = 188 lor?
2 way = $306 / pax

a 3* hotel like rainbow about $50+/pax (twin sharing)

total about $580.
+ transfers from airport

i think quite cheap? agency book about $600 for 3 day?

budget airlines are cheaper only when you book way before..

book now lah! plan ur trip first before u book the hotels.

but u can also test your luck and see if non-budget airlines have any promo. but they always have conditions such as travel in 4/ travel during non-peak periods/ fly at nite etc.

no point for fly at nite i feel. the savings u get from the airline, u spend on the 'extra night' hotel stay.

thanks diamantz for your opinions!

anyway, i calculated the total cost including hotel stay would be $546, 6D5N rainbow hotel, jetstar asia.

i'm aware that SQ having promotion now but gotta travel by June.
i only can travel in August/Sept so i'll have to give that a miss.

one more thing is, should i ask for airport transfers? or should i just travel to the hotel from the airport on my own? is it easy?
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #1070

Talking Taiwan trip

Hey guys, after ploughing through 72 pages, i really like all these suggestions that you guys are giving. But i hope you all can help answer a few questions before i leave from 12 may to 18 may.

1) It seems that nobody was talking about Taichung at all? What is the attraction at Taichung? Other than than the nite market some of you mentioned, what else is there during the daytime.

2) What is the difference between going Hualian Taroko gorge tour and staying at the Hualian Minsu. Its like after the Taroko gorge tour, what else can you do at Hualian area after that? It appear that the taxi ride is good cos we have 4 pple, but do the drivers stop long enuff for you to look at the scenery or just briefly stop this sorta thing?

What does the Minsu provide? Do they also drive you around Hualian other than visiting the Taroko Gorge. Not much has been discussed on how the minsu pple can help.

3) If i wanna go to YeLiu/Jiufen/Keelung and Hualian/Taichung, is there like a suitable sequential order of route i can take so that i wouldnt waste time? Cos they seemed to be along the way of one another. I got like 3-4 days to do all of them.

4)Regarding the hot spring, i got one embarassing question. Is it ok to wear the swimming trunks into the pool rather than strip naked? Do they allow swimming trunks? which is the best hot spring you guys recommend?

5) Is it still pretty at Yang Ming Shan during mid may like with flowers and all? Cos we are thinking that it is quite a waste of time since it will take one day.

Thanks for all the help in advance!!!

Last edited by samuel21; 09-05-2005 at 12:34 AM..
Old 09-05-2005, 12:50 AM   #1071

frankly, taichong is a pretty big place... a taxi uncle told me u need 3 days at least to cover hold of taichong. But i do not have much information abt taichong to provide u. I went to sun moon lake and it is a great place, and if u are travelling during mid autum festival that period, u muz go sun moon lake as the 'yuan zu ming' will have a long feast there and they will invite u for free food and rice wine. There is also an annual international swimming contest across the lake.

Regarding hotspring, u can use the towel they provide u and cover ur private before u get into the pool. But pls do not take the towel down into the pool as u will dirty the water. If u wear shorts.... i dunno.... maybe ur rubber band will melt in the hottest pool

Last edited by Rawlinson; 09-05-2005 at 12:59 AM..
Old 09-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #1072
Master Member

thanks diamantz for your opinions!

anyway, i calculated the total cost including hotel stay would be $546, 6D5N rainbow hotel, jetstar asia.

i'm aware that SQ having promotion now but gotta travel by June.
i only can travel in August/Sept so i'll have to give that a miss.

one more thing is, should i ask for airport transfers? or should i just travel to the hotel from the airport on my own? is it easy?
No need to ask for airport transfers. Just take the bus (NT120) from the airport turn left to take the transfer bus to Taipei Railway Station. You need to go to the counter to buy the tickets and board the bus. You can put your luggage in the luggage compartment (they will give you a tag).

From the Railway Station, you can take the MRT to Ximending (one stop-Bannien line) or take a taxi (someone mentioned about S$5).
Old 09-05-2005, 02:50 PM   #1073
Master Member

2) What is the difference between going Hualian Taroko gorge tour and staying at the Hualian Minsu. Its like after the Taroko gorge tour, what else can you do at Hualian area after that? It appear that the taxi ride is good cos we have 4 pple, but do the drivers stop long enuff for you to look at the scenery or just briefly stop this sorta thing?
5) Is it still pretty at Yang Ming Shan during mid may like with flowers and all? Cos we are thinking that it is quite a waste of time since it will take one day.
For the taxi, yes you can ask the driver to top at any place, it is actually up to you how much time you want to spend in one place. My suggestion to you when you make a booking check for the driver up to what time b4 confirming the tour. then you can make plan your own timing as you go along.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #1074
Supremacy Member

Hey guys, after ploughing through 72 pages, i really like all these suggestions that you guys are giving. But i hope you all can help answer a few questions before i leave from 12 may to 18 may.

4)Regarding the hot spring, i got one embarassing question. Is it ok to wear the swimming trunks into the pool rather than strip naked? Do they allow swimming trunks? which is the best hot spring you guys recommend?

Thanks for all the help in advance!!!
4) some public ones dun allow swimming trunks, dun wear better, more shiok. i go beitou ones...

5) less than half a day, i think flowers are blooming now
Old 09-05-2005, 05:15 PM   #1075
Great Supremacy Member

the channels on TV really a lot.. some more its not like sg scv. their channel mostly nice 1..
got all the chinese channel u get on scv plus espn starsports, jap channels, eng movies ch , even got a few religion channels. about buddhist 1.
n of cos got 1 or 2 "er herm" type of channel
all channels free meh?
dun need to pay?

i heard from my fren some are pay-per-view and the hotel dun "off" for u...if u suay suay tune to that channel ..they will charge u? no?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:40 PM   #1076
Great Supremacy Member

dun go ulu ulu one...i went to 1 that has sulphuric content
name of the shop?

is 小川源溫泉館 in Wulai gd?
Old 09-05-2005, 06:41 PM   #1077
Great Supremacy Member

we oreadi book his cab the whole day, so he charge us a little bit extra, 300NT. We went straight from 天祥 to 七星潭 and he waited for us to finish and send us back to hualien station. I not sure whether the driver will wait for u if u take taxi from hualien station. btw, the driver told me usually from train station to 七星潭 and back is 400NT.

the fastest time back to taipei is 3hours lor. :-)
ur 300NT is per pax???
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #1078
High Supremacy Member

[QUOTE=samuel21]Hey guys, after ploughing through 72 pages, i really like all these suggestions that you guys are giving. But i hope you all can help answer a few questions before i leave from 12 may to 18 may.

1) It seems that nobody was talking about Taichung at all? What is the attraction at Taichung? Other than than the nite market some of you mentioned, what else is there during the daytime.

Not much attraction except a few night markets

What does the Minsu provide? Do they also drive you around Hualian other than visiting the Taroko Gorge. Not much has been discussed on how the minsu pple can help.

Not much after that so one day there shld be enough.. I believe the MINSU owner can do something for u like driving u ard but need $$$

3) If i wanna go to YeLiu/Jiufen/Keelung and Hualian/Taichung, is there like a suitable sequential order of route i can take so that i wouldnt waste time? Cos they seemed to be along the way of one another. I got like 3-4 days to do all of them.

Jiufen is halfway train ride to hualien.. so first day go hualien then join Taroko gorge tour then come back to hualien stay one night , next day go jiufen lor

NOt sure sorry
Old 09-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #1079
High Supremacy Member

frankly, taichong is a pretty big place... a taxi uncle told me u need 3 days at least to cover hold of taichong. But i do not have much information abt taichong to provide u. I went to sun moon lake and it is a great place, and if u are travelling during mid autum festival that period, u muz go sun moon lake as the 'yuan zu ming' will have a long feast there and they will invite u for free food and rice wine. There is also an annual international swimming contest across the lake.

Regarding hotspring, u can use the towel they provide u and cover ur private before u get into the pool. But pls do not take the towel down into the pool as u will dirty the water. If u wear shorts.... i dunno.... maybe ur rubber band will melt in the hottest pool

mid autum is from when to when?? 22nd may to 29may got?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:42 PM   #1080

Mid autum is around august... the time when u eat moon cakes

Regarding 小川源溫泉館, i visited there and i found it reasonably good for its price. It is an indoor hotspring, so if u want those with nice nice views, think u better go peitou. I heard hotsprings at yang ming shan got high sulphuric content thus they have a pungent sulphur smell to it... which is not very pleasant.

I dunno abt hualien taxi tour, but for my sun moon lake taxi tour, they will drop u, intro u the place and allow u to explore ard while they wait patiently for u.
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.