HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone knows Taipei well?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #14371
Supremacy Member

Do you mean the taipei ones are too pack? if yes, than i just don bother about the remaining days and use it as reserve.

I was thinking of paragliding too, so that leaves me 02 days extra for taipei....

the Kenting trip, i am arranging with the dive shop to get someone to pick us up, worst case, we just take bus...
Can go at a more relaxed pace if you have time. For eg day 9 seems hectic given that you are going to Leofoo, wufenpu and raohe and still want to go clubbing afterwards. Not sure whether you'll have the energy.

For me, fatigue starts to set in at the middle of the trip. I find no point in rushing from place to place just to complete the checklist. Better to allocate time to enjoy each place properly.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #14372
Supremacy Member

Can go at a more relaxed pace if you have time. For eg day 9 seems hectic given that you are going to Leofoo, wufenpu and raohe and still want to go clubbing afterwards. Not sure whether you'll have the energy.

For me, fatigue starts to set in at the middle of the trip. I find no point in rushing from place to place just to complete the checklist. Better to allocate time to enjoy each place properly.
Ya i think i will leave the roahe out, too much shopping no good for my wallet :>
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #14373
Great Supremacy Member

One injured in powerful quake
By Shelley Shan
STAFF REPORTER
Friday, Nov 06, 2009, Page 1

Bottles of tea and other products lie on the floor of a grocery store in Nantou County after an earthquake measuring 6.0 struck near Mingjian Township in the afternoon. The quake was felt throughout Taiwan.
PHOTO: HSIEH CHIEH-YU, TAIPEI TIMES

An earthquake struck Nantou County yesterday near the epicenter of the 921 Earthquake and was felt nationwide, with a maximum intensity of 7.0 on the Richter scale in Nantou’s Mingjian Township (名間). The temblor was followed by aftershocks as strong as 5.7.

The Central Weather Bureau Web site said the earthquake struck at 5:32pm and had a 6.0 magnitude but had the strength of a 7.0 in the Mingjian area. Its epicenter was 19.3km deep and 10.3km southeast of Mingjian, close to that of the 921 Earthquake that struck 10 years ago on Sept. 21, 1999.

AFTERSHOCKS

The bureau recorded the first aftershock six minutes after the quake, with an intensity of 4.7.

A second struck at 5:56pm and measured 3.6. The epicenters of both aftershocks were very close to the location of the original temblor.

A third aftershock measuring 5.7 occurred at 7:34pm with an epicenter 21.9km deep. Two more struck at 7:39pm and 8:04pm with intensities of 3.6 and 3.5 respectively.

The first temblor was strongest in Mingjian. It measured 6.0 in Gukeng Township (古坑), Yunlin County and 5.0 in Nantou City, Yunlin’s Douliu City (斗六), Changhua City and Changhua County’s Yuanlin Township (員林). It measured 2.0 in Taipei.

Kuo Kai-wen (郭鎧紋), director of the bureau’s seismological center, said the earthquake was caused by the release of seismic energy.

The duration of the quake varied from place to place, Kuo said. In Mingjian it lasted only 0.02 seconds.

The Taiwan High Speed Rail briefly suspended operations as a result of the quake.

INJURY

TV news reported that a high school student in Taichung County suffered a minor head injury when a piece of the ceiling in a classroom collapsed. She was sent home after being treated at a hospital emergency room.

Chunghwa Telecom and other two major telecom carriers said a surge in communication between friends and family after the quake caused a congestion in the network. The slowed communications were not caused by damage to infrastructure.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #14374
Great Supremacy Member

Taitung farm fights A(H1N1) outbreak

'FARMAGGEDON': Pig farmers countrywide were on high alert, with emergency measures kicking in after news broke that swine flu had struck more than 150 pigs

STAFF WRITER, WITH CNA
Friday, Nov 06, 2009, Page 1

More than 150 pigs at a Taitung farm have tested positive for the A(H1N1) virus, marking the country’s first case of pigs being diagnosed with the influenza strain, Council of Agriculture (COA) officials confirmed yesterday.

The Taitung County Livestock Disease Control Center began testing pigs on Oct. 27 after learning that about 160 out of approximately 3,000 animals at the farm had begun experiencing symptoms such as coughing, runny noses and diarrhea 10 days earlier.

Huang Jin-cheng (黃金城), chief of the COA’s Animal Health Research Institute, told a press conference that the initial investigation indicated the virus had passed from an infected person to a pig and then spread throughout the herd.

The livestock disease center took immediate action to contain the virus and began testing workers on the farm to determine the origin of the outbreak, he said.

Huang said that the swine flu virus is not transmitted by food, so consumers should not fear contracting swine flu by eating pork or pork products. He said it was safe to eat pig products that have been properly handled and cooked.

Canada, Argentina, Australia, Britain, Ireland, Norway, Japan and Iceland have also reported cases of swine flu in pigs, Huang said.

Hsu Tien-lai (??, director of the COA’s Department of Animal Industry, said infected pigs would not be medicated because they should recover in three to seven days.

There is no evidence that the animals can transmit swine flu to humans and there have been no reported cases of the virus mutating into a form that can do so, Hsu said.

The infections put pig farmers on high alert, with emergency measures kicking in to prevent the outbreak from spreading. Most of the nation’s pig farms are located in central and southern Taiwan, including Yunlin County, home to some 1.45 million pigs, Tainan County, with 790,000 pigs and Kaohsiung County with 400,000.

Lu Cheng-chang (呂政璋), director of Yunlin County’s Agricultural Affairs Bureau, said he had instructed the county’s pig farms and meat markets to redouble their efforts to prevent an epidemic.

He said no pigs in Yunlin County had contracted the virus as of yesterday.

Poultry and livestock farmers in Yunlin were told to be vaccinated against swine flu immediately.

Centers for Disease Control Director Steve Kuo (郭旭崧) confirmed that the strain in Taitung was the new strain of A(H1N1) that has caused a global scare in recent months.

Kuo urged the public not to panic as “it is not news that the virus exists in pigs.”

“It will not increase the A(H1N1) threat we are facing,” he said.

ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JIMMY CHUANG
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #14375
High Supremacy Member

the chickens better not be infected otherwise i cannot eat the chicken chop!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #14376
Banned

den u no need to eat ru rou rice, mian xian etc etc liao alot of their stuffs all got pigs de
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #14377
Arch-Supremacy Member

Old 06-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #14378

still got 3 days to go and have no more ideas... pls pls help

thanks
Can visit this site for some inspirations

welcome2taiwan.net/cht/Highlights_FlagshipEvents.htm
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #14379
Great Supremacy Member

hehe...no worries...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:00 AM   #14380

Mian Xian - you can request without intestine just the O-Ah (Oyster) or Plain with the sauces ,garlic, chili and Hsiang Chye(Coriander leaves) My GF has that plain way all the time.

So far, this farm in Taitung case seems isolated but Govt here not taking any chances.
This was Human to pig transfer.

The Earthquake, did not feel it as I was in a bus at the time, it was rocking anyways!!

Now you know why we say, Taiwan - A Happening place.
Typhoons, Earthquakes, Sandstorms ETC and when everything is quiet, the politicians start something like fighting, throwing lunch boxes at each other, ladies pulling each others hair, Others pulling off politician's wigs!! And even then , if that quiets down, Ma Ying Jeou puts on his shorts and goes jogging making all them old Obasans happy.
Never a dull moment.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #14381

any idea which is the most popular forum that TW pple visits?

like HWZ/EDMW in sg....
I would think that it would be a site in Traditional Chinese Not English
Old 07-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #14382
Great Supremacy Member

I would think that it would be a site in Traditional Chinese Not English
i have no probs reading Trad chinese
Old 09-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #14383

yo guys, anybody know if there's any recordings between 5th dec - 11dec for "I GUESS" x3.

TIA
Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #14384

i have no probs reading Trad chinese
I think http://www.mobile01.com/ is one of them...
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #14385

We're going on 28jan to hualien, care to join us? Book Sunrise MinSu?
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.