DBS ATM Withdrawal at Taiwan

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
So if I bring my Singapore issued DBS ATM card and withdraw from Taiwan DBS ATM machine, there is no extra charges?

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I am confused with all those words like Maestro, MC, etc.

It mentioned that "Maestro/MC network availability at our DBS Taiwan ATMs will be suspended until further notice. As a result, you will not be able to perform transactions using MasterCard/Maestro cards on DBS Taiwan’s ATMs. You may wish to withdraw at other bank’s ATMs that display the MasterCard/Maestro logo. Alternatively, you may also use VISA/Plus cards to continue transacting at our ATMS in Taiwan."

So if I'm holding a DBS Visa Debit Card, I can still withdraw cash with DBS Taiwan ATM? Is my understanding right?

So if I bring my Singapore issued DBS ATM card and withdraw from Taiwan DBS ATM machine, there is no extra charges?
The current situation they said upgrading works. So i assume, the whole system is down and you risk not withdrawing cash. Telephone operators tell you this and that, but still it is you who will be left out in the cold without cash.
If you want, try it.
If not, consider telegraphic transfer?
International bankdraft?

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would feel that withdraw with your DBS/POSB ATM card at DBS ATM machine will be safer since no charges. Using visa or mastercard to withdraw may have some charges, who knows? In Singapore, normally I won't use my POSB mastercard to withdraw or make NETS payment over the counter also.

Some like the everyday card is tied to your account in Singapore. Worrying take it as cash advances, then really is die lor.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some like the everyday card is tied to your account in Singapore. Worrying take it as cash advances, then really is die lor.

for most cc usually must go atm to set that you wanna link to bank a/c one. if not, default is cash advance! debit card better.

albertchng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Must rmb to activate the magnetic strip on your dbs/posb atm card before leaving SG.

shirleyblu

Reaction score
Just back from taipei.

Tried cash exchanged at DBS.
If changing more then 10,000 NTD there will be 1% charge.
If less then 10,000 NTD it will be 100 NTD charge.

Currently cannot withdraw from DBS ATM.
Must wait till around Oct / Nov. (TBC)

So bring extra cash or withdraw using other bank atm ( activate your card for oversea use) .

On last 2 days, I used up cash so went to withdraw at the atm.
My friend transfer me the money and I just withdraw once (includes my friend's share so we just kenna charge once).

Also when we were shopping places can use card swipe, we swipe easier.

shirleyblu

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Maybe will change some there, since the rate is better? Thinking of opening a Citibank account, hope it works. But still can swipe with DBS Visa will be better, hope the service comes back soon.

It have to depend on how you felt on the rate. I change 22.69 there while the same time my bro change at sing 22.8 (we change on the same day and coincidence same timing) .
But there are times that there is higher than sing.

acetylcholine

Master Member
Reaction score
If you have a CIMB account, apply for their ATM card. If the rules have not been changed, they offer ATM withdrawals on the entire PLUS network without any additional service charge on their end. The rates will definitely be worse than changing in cash but it sure beats having to pay an additional $5 service charge for every withdrawal. At the time of withdrawal, you will be informed whether the bank which runs the ATM will charge an additional fee.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont recommend this kind of fund transfer method.
Seems very shady...

1. They could say u didnt book it and didnt receive funds when u check in.

2. There is no way to cancel or refund your money if anything goes wrong.

3. You can transfer using your bank account but incurs a fee which varies. Just let your bank know the taiwan bank/acct and they can do it.

Paying using a credit card is much safer.

Can anyone help? Booked accommodations in Taiwan and they require me to transfer funds first. How do I transfer using ATM? Some gave me 郵局代碼 & 帳號,while some gave me bank name that I did not manage to find in the list of banks listed in ATM. Or I can simply go to the counter and ask them to transfer, instead of transferring using ATM? Any extra fee incurred? How does the currency thingy work? Do I inform them in TWD that I want to transfer? Thanks.

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can do interbank transfer between any banks in the world provided u get the SWIFT(?) transfer code for the bank and the account number.

SWIFT code is like an id code for the bank.
Account number is the number for the account holder.

It will cost u some fee to transfer the funds.
Cheaper if u do it yourself online.

Even if they provide me with account from DBS, Maybank, HSBC, etc, but their branches are still in Taiwan, so I still cannot do transfer, right?

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes u can use your visa card with paypal.
e.g. u send money to another paypal acct.
Paypal will ask u if u want to link to your bank acct(not a good idea) or use a credit card.
If u pay using credit card, a charge from Paypal will show up on your cc.

Recommend that after u finished payment with paypal, delete your cc from paypal for security reasons.

Btw, how does paypal works? Just apply with visa via https://www.paypal.com/sg/home, then I can use it to pay afterthat?

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I found an accommodation that allowed PayPal. The person also sent me a link for me to proceed for payment after I mention I do not have PayPal, just key in card info will do. How is it deducted from my account, in term of currency rate?
Will be converted to sgd at paypal rates.
And voila that is done.
Of course pp rate sucks.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is an option of choosing the bank rate. Will that be better? Is there other kinds of add on fee, admin fee, etc? The seller also added some PayPal fee to my accommodation fee.
Think pp got 5.x% processing fee.

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is an option of choosing the bank rate. Will that be better? Is there other kinds of add on fee, admin fee, etc? The seller also added some PayPal fee to my accommodation fee.

Seller added means he has factor in all the bs charges.
So i will advise first payment by pp. The rest by cash.

snowblaze

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ATM Withdrawal Rate

Hi guys, going Taiwan next week.

Heard tt Taiwan DBS ATM machines are down. Hence, if i use my DBS debit card to withdraw at Other bank ATM machine there, how do i check the exchange rate? The website of the bank which i am withdrawing at?

I am asking because the current money changer rate is really bad. like 1SGD to 21.5NTD?:(:(:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.