HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Questions on Taroko Gorge and other misc. stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #1

Questions on Taroko Gorge and other misc. stuff

Hi everyone, I am planning out my solo trip for early next year. And while doing some research online, I am getting myself confused along the way and need help from you experts!

I am planning on going to Taroko Gorge since I will be staying at Hualien. As I do not drive, I do plan to leave early etc to grab the bus etc. Here are some questions:
  1. Can I use EasyCard on the public/ tourist shuttle buses, instead buying any of the day bus pass? This way, I am planning to hope onto any of the buses rather than solely waiting for 1 particular bus. Is this practical?
  2. As I am not planning to comb all spots within the gorge in a day, but going to a specific few eg. Bulowan Terraces, Eternal Shrine etc, is walking on foot doable/ safe?
  3. And prior to above point, are there eg. if Eternal Shrine is my last spot, are there bus stops at each spots that I can take to bring me back to Hualien station? Or will I need to walk back to the entrance and take the bus from there...

The next day, I am also planning to go to Taitung - Brown's Road, going there to cycle etc. And so my journey would be Hualien to Chihsang. Is it easy to navigate to Brown's Road upon exiting the station? P.S - Planning to rent a bicycle and enjoying the country sights.

Lastly, there may be a case where I will depart from Taipei to Hualien and back to Taipei again.. At the first part - before departing to Hualien, wondering if (all) Taiwan hotels have the luggage forwarding service that I can use (like the ones in Japan?) so that I can send it to the next hotel at Taipei after my 3 days trip at Hualien? If not, is there a better alternative that I can consider?

I asked as I decided not to bring my luggage during my trip to Hualien but rather a small back that contains the essentials..

Appreciate and many thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by salik89; 08-10-2019 at 04:43 AM..
salik89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Rent a bike?
Not sure if they do allow you to do so.
We were rejected on some occasions.
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Luggage can be kept in previous hotel.
They should allow you to keep but for how long, really no idea.
Got to check with your hotel of stay.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #4

i used easycard on taroko bus for my last trip

this link maybe handy for your planning. do be careful as bus stops at some bus stop in one direction only
https://www.triptipedia.com/tip/j88bG3q/a-guide-to-taroko-national-park
[LIST=1][*]Can I use EasyCard on the public/ tourist shuttle buses, instead buying any of the day bus pass? This way, I am planning to hope onto any of the buses rather than solely waiting for 1 particular bus. Is this practical?[*] As I am not planning to comb all spots within the gorge in a day, but going to a specific few eg. Bulowan Terraces, Eternal Shrine etc, is walking on foot doable/ safe?

I asked as I decided not to bring my luggage during my trip to Hualien but rather a small back that contains the essentials..
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #5

Rent a bike?
Not sure if they do allow you to do so.
We were rejected on some occasions.
Hi calkel20, could you care to elaborate more on this?

Additionally, I just realized that the "bike" in my previous post is a bicycle not a motorbike. Edited my post to reflect the changes.

i used easycard on taroko bus for my last trip

this link maybe handy for your planning. do be careful as bus stops at some bus stop in one direction only
https://www.triptipedia.com/tip/j88b...-national-park
Fantastic, thank you for the link. I suppose when you are using the easycard, you used it on the both buses - 1133A and 302? (I could be wrong on the latter bus)

Also, could you kindly elaborate on the "one direction"? Trying to get more information and be as clear as possible...

Last edited by salik89; 08-10-2019 at 04:57 AM..
salik89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
High Supremacy Member

Bicycle can do.
But tAroko gorge is kinda far.
If you have time to do it, why not?
Old 08-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #7

Was using easy card on 1133A since I start from hualien station. Not sure about 302 which starts from xincheng station

E.g from hualien to tianxiang, bus stops at shakadang. But from tianxiang to hualien, bus will not stop at shakadang
Fantastic, thank you for the link. I suppose when you are using the easycard, you used it on the both buses - 1133A and 302? (I could be wrong on the latter bus)

Also, could you kindly elaborate on the "one direction"? Trying to get more information and be as clear as possible...
rrr2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Hi everyone, I am planning out my solo trip for early next year. And while doing some research online, I am getting myself confused along the way and need help from you experts!

I am planning on going to Taroko Gorge since I will be staying at Hualien. As I do not drive, I do plan to leave early etc to grab the bus etc. Here are some questions:
  1. As I am not planning to comb all spots within the gorge in a day, but going to a specific few eg. Bulowan Terraces, Eternal Shrine etc, is walking on foot doable/ safe?
  2. And prior to above point, are there eg. if Eternal Shrine is my last spot, are there bus stops at each spots that I can take to bring me back to Hualien station? Or will I need to walk back to the entrance and take the bus from there...
The distance between the Eternal Spring Shrine and Buluowan is 5km. Definitely walk-able.

From Buluowan to Swallow Grotto, the distance is 1.5km.

You can take the bus from the Eternal Shrine to Hualien. The frequency of the buses is pretty limited. It may be a better option to take the bus from the Taroko Visitor Center depending on your schedule. You can Google for the Taroko Gorge / Hualien bus timetable to aid in your planning.
eleutheromania is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.