Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Travel around in Taiwan

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eleutheromania

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Travel around in Taiwan

Hi everyone,

If going holiday to Taiwan with around 10 people, what mode of transport going around will be value for money ?

Say 1 elderly, 6 adults, 3kids and 1 toodler.

What is the taxi rate of traveling around, say 1 taxi from Taipei to say ching Jing or alishan, what is the rate like ? I reckon I need 3 taxi. I heard if book a car that can take 10 people around will cost about 300plus daily. But I think I will be staying in a place for few nights and not moving very far away, thus taxi should be more economical ?
birmingham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:22 PM   #2

Hi everyone,

If going holiday to Taiwan with around 10 people, what mode of transport going around will be value for money ?

What is the taxi rate of traveling around, say 1 taxi from Taipei to say ching Jing or alishan, what is the rate like ? I reckon I need 3 taxi. I heard if book a car that can take 10 people around will cost about 300plus daily. But I think I will be staying in a place for few nights and not moving very far away, thus taxi should be more economical ?
I hope you have looked at the map and know where these places are located.

Logically speaking, would a taxi driver drive and charge you a one way fare from Singapore to Malacca? The driver would be 'wasting' his one way 3-5 hours drive from Malacca back to Singapore, won't he? By hiring a car (driver), it's pretty obvious that you are paying for the return trip even if you aren't taking it. 10 pax for $300 (based on what you wrote) will be $30 each. That's pretty cheap for a day.
Andrew833 likes this.

Last edited by eleutheromania; 02-01-2020 at 05:39 PM..
eleutheromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

Hi everyone,

It's better to book a min van/ bus that can sit all the ppl including kids and luggage. It's will be more saving than booking/taking 3 taxi.
You need to plan out your raft route plan, then look for driver. You need to look at the map to plan this.

There are some companies that do transportation for your whole Taiwan trip. But there are also many drivers only drive within their area, e.g. Taipei/ Taichung.
Andrew833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Hi everyone,

You have 11pax... dun think any mini-van got that kind of capacity... Not even a VW Crafter or Merc Sprinter can accommodate... legally... Even if the driver agree to take your group violating the max capacity... u need to consider whether worth it or not... insurance might not cover if there is an accident...

Your best bet is a mini-bus... from what i check last time... it should cost anywhere btw $400-500 A day... if outside Taipei will be usually an additional NTD1000-1500 for driver accommodation...

Best to list down your route and attractions... and narrow down which day you needed the transport...
wongkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:02 AM   #5

You have 11pax... dun think any mini-van got that kind of capacity... Not even a VW Crafter or Merc Sprinter can accommodate... legally... Even if the driver agree to take your group violating the max capacity... u need to consider whether worth it or not... insurance might not cover if there is an accident...

Your best bet is a mini-bus... from what i check last time... it should cost anywhere btw $400-500 A day... if outside Taipei will be usually an additional NTD1000-1500 for driver accommodation...

Best to list down your route and attractions... and narrow down which day you needed the transport...
Actually I was told Taiwan has many drivers that drove cars like those mini bus where can sit around 10 people. But cost around 2.4k for 8 days.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #6

I hope you have looked at the map and know where these places are located.

Logically speaking, would a taxi driver drive and charge you a one way fare from Singapore to Malacca? The driver would be 'wasting' his one way 3-5 hours drive from Malacca back to Singapore, won't he? By hiring a car (driver), it's pretty obvious that you are paying for the return trip even if you aren't taking it. 10 pax for $300 (based on what you wrote) will be $30 each. That's pretty cheap for a day.
I know is probably 2hours drive from Taipei to Taichung. But I do believe there are taxi drivers who will take u. For how much I am not sure lah

Last edited by birmingham123; 03-01-2020 at 12:11 AM..
Old 03-01-2020, 12:38 AM   #7

I know is probably 2hours drive from Taipei to Taichung. But I do believe there are taxi drivers who will take u. For how much I am not sure lah
Are you confused or? You mentioned Cingjing and Alishan in your first post. Now you say Taipei to Taichung. Makes a lot of difference. Again, refer to a map.

Last edited by eleutheromania; 03-01-2020 at 01:09 AM..
Old 03-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #8

Are you confused or? You mentioned Cingjing and Alishan in your first post. Now you say Taipei to Taichung. Makes a lot of difference. Again, refer to a map.

Hmm.. my plan is stay 2 days in Taipei and then 2 days in Taichung and take the chance to visit cingjing during this 2days. Not sure how far alishan is, if too far, probably can skip. Then travel back to Taipei for 2 more days. Will be a relax trip. So I think the only long distance is between Taipei to Taichung. I think Taichung to cingjing not really far right ? I think if purely travel around in Taipei, MRT or taxi is good enough right ?

So is the idea of booking a mini bus that can sit 10 + 1 toodler for 2 days better than taking cab ?
Old 03-01-2020, 01:49 AM   #9

Hmm.. my plan is stay 2 days in Taipei and then 2 days in Taichung and take the chance to visit cingjing during this 2days. Not sure how far alishan is, if too far, probably can skip. Then travel back to Taipei for 2 more days. Will be a relax trip. So I think the only long distance is between Taipei to Taichung. I think Taichung to cingjing not really far right ? I think if purely travel around in Taipei, MRT or taxi is good enough right ?

So is the idea of booking a mini bus that can sit 10 + 1 toodler for 2 days better than taking cab ?
Take the bus or HSR between Taipei and Taichung.

The HSR takes an hour. Driving takes 2 hours.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Actually I was told Taiwan has many drivers that drove cars like those mini bus where can sit around 10 people. But cost around 2.4k for 8 days.
If you are referring to these vehicles... they are 9 seaters including the driver. Even if the driver allows you to sit 11pax considering a few of them are kids... do u really want to take the offer? considering that it will be uncomfortable and unsafe and got insurance problem... btw these are called Big T or VIP Nanny car 明星保母車... usually it comes in either VW Crafter or Merc Sprinter...

wongkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #11
Supremacy Member

Assume you have 6 days.
I will recommend you to do Toa yuan airport > Taichung > Cingjing > Taipei.
Keep Taipei last, so you don't have to change hotel often.
It's cheaper to hire a driver for all your days in Tw. Taking Mrt/ taxi for 10 ppl will be more expensive can time consuming.
Andrew833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

I don't think the VW van can take in all of your group plus the luggage. Either you split into 2 vans or find a mini bus.

I'm not sure if you really need 2 full days in cingjing, cos I find it really not a big deal (unless you really want to soak in the place). A consideration will be to day trip in cingjing, then onward to hualien passing hehuanshan along the way.

I do agree that Taipei as the last leg is more ideal. Ideally, stay at TMS area and take advantage of the airport metro to get to Taoyuan airport.
durkheimian is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.