HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Weather in October

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #1

Weather in October

Is it very likely to avoid Typhoon during 2nd week of October onwards? Planning to go for 2 weeks after 12 Oct.

Anyone can share their 2015 / 2016 experience?

Tia
clara03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Is it very likely to avoid Typhoon during 2nd week of October onwards? Planning to go for 2 weeks after 12 Oct.

Anyone can share their 2015 / 2016 experience?

Tia
Every year typhoons will hit at different timing. How to answer you...? Last year Oct no typhoons doesn't mean this year don't have. Similarly, if last year have, doesn't mean this year will have.
Ruriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Every year typhoons will hit at different timing. How to answer you...? Last year Oct no typhoons doesn't mean this year don't have. Similarly, if last year have, doesn't mean this year will have.
2015 i think have wor. Just cannot be bothered.
Buy travel insurance is the next best thing before a trip.
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

2015 i think have wor. Just cannot be bothered.
Buy travel insurance is the next best thing before a trip.
Yes... Travel insurance is always a must, for me. Other than that, if really want to avoid typhoons, just go during low typhoon activity period. But low doesn't mean zero either. So it's really see heng suay.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #5

Usually I will avoid late July - 1st week of Oct. I was there in 2015 on their national day (10/10), weather was clear and exactly like Singapore. 12 Oct should be safe. If you are afraid, maybe can postpone to Nov.
RhythmzZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Usually I will avoid late July - 1st week of Oct. I was there in 2015 on their national day (10/10), weather was clear and exactly like Singapore. 12 Oct should be safe. If you are afraid, maybe can postpone to Nov.
Don't give false assurance. There's no such thing as safe for any date in October.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/knowledge/encyclopedia/ty014.htm

This is from tw government. 30 typhoons in October since 1911 to 2015. Like I said, depends on heng suay. Number seems small but possibility isn't zero. Hence don't label it as "safe".

Just buy travel insurance and monitor weather forecast nearer to the travel date. If there's typhoon when you are there, stay put in hotel. It'll last for a few hours after making landfall as it will move away. If it's on the day of your flight, your flight will probably get postponed / delayed. That's about it.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

Don't give false assurance. There's no such thing as safe for any date in October.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/knowledge/encyclopedia/ty014.htm

This is from tw government. 30 typhoons in October since 1911 to 2015. Like I said, depends on heng suay. Number seems small but possibility isn't zero. Hence don't label it as "safe".

Just buy travel insurance and monitor weather forecast nearer to the travel date. If there's typhoon when you are there, stay put in hotel. It'll last for a few hours after making landfall as it will move away. If it's on the day of your flight, your flight will probably get postponed / delayed. That's about it.
Then can huat huat claim insurance if flights cancelled.

Last edited by calkel20; 04-03-2017 at 03:01 PM..
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #8

Better be safe than sorry man!
ChocoBoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #9

Thanks all for your reply.

I would also love to travel in November to experience Autumn. However I am not free from November onwards already so I am hoping to travel during mid-October as this is the only time I am free. I am also free during Sept but it seems like Sept have a higher chances of experiencing Typhoon.

So as per Ruriel, the typhoon will only last for a few hours and then we will be able to head out as per normal already. Is it?

As I am planning to travel 2 weeks with different cities in sequence : 2 Nights Kaohisung > 1 Night Alishan > 1 Night Cingjing > 2 Nights Taichung > 1 Night SML > 1 Night Taipei > 1 Night Jiufen > 5 Nights Taipei
Old 13-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Typhoon can happen anytime and can last from few hours to few days. It all depends on how it landed.

Oct is still hot. So be prepared for the hot weather too.
twosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Thanks all for your reply.

I would also love to travel in November to experience Autumn. However I am not free from November onwards already so I am hoping to travel during mid-October as this is the only time I am free. I am also free during Sept but it seems like Sept have a higher chances of experiencing Typhoon.

So as per Ruriel, the typhoon will only last for a few hours and then we will be able to head out as per normal already. Is it?

As I am planning to travel 2 weeks with different cities in sequence : 2 Nights Kaohisung > 1 Night Alishan > 1 Night Cingjing > 2 Nights Taichung > 1 Night SML > 1 Night Taipei > 1 Night Jiufen > 5 Nights Taipei
Best time to be in Taiwan during Oct is their National day, 双十节。
Old 13-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

nothing is really normal after a typhoon. the typhoon may have passed a certain area but doesn't mean it has left the country. and there's the aftermath of a typhoon. it also depends on how strong/violent the typhoon is.
Old 13-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #13

Been wanting to visit Taiwan soo badly, it's been 3 years and missing the superb foodies.. Lu rou fan, tai yang bing and all

But upon hearing all of your comments, Damn.. Guess I will have to give Taiwan a miss this year

Thanks all for your reply again!
Old 14-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anytime also can visit Taiwan, just need to know what to expect. Maybe instead of covering many places, focus on 1 or 2 places.

I've been in taiwan in 1st week of Oct. Other than the hot weather, everything else is wonderful.
twosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Typhoon can happen anytime and can last from few hours to few days. It all depends on how it landed.

Oct is still hot. So be prepared for the hot weather too.
Typhoon don't last for a few days in one area. It's constantly moving. It's the aftermath that will stay/linger for a few days, depending on damage.

nothing is really normal after a typhoon. the typhoon may have passed a certain area but doesn't mean it has left the country. and there's the aftermath of a typhoon. it also depends on how strong/violent the typhoon is.
In a city, things go back to normal pretty fast. Some shops were even still operating during a typhoon (I recall watching a TW news segment about this during their last typhoon). It really depends on how strong it is. However in rural areas the impact may be bigger and if power lines etc are down, then maybe it'll take longer for things to go back to normal.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.