Old 24-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #1636

Android TV box seller fined in landmark copyright infringement case

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...l_28112017_cna
townman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #1637
Master Member

Android TV box seller fined in landmark copyright infringement case

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...l_28112017_cna
The court case applies to those so-called preloaded box like Unblock Tech Ubox. Android TV boxes like Mi Box S does not come with any illegal apps so there should be no impact.

Quoting from the news article.
These devices do not contain any decoders, but have apps that allow users to stream copyrighted programmes such as English Premier League matches.
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ement-11473652
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #1638
Arch-Supremacy Member

The court case applies to those so-called preloaded box like Unblock Tech Ubox. Android TV boxes like Mi Box S does not come with any illegal apps so there should be no impact.

Quoting from the news article.
These devices do not contain any decoders, but have apps that allow users to stream copyrighted programmes such as English Premier League matches.
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ement-11473652
Is red bean android TV box legal?
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #1639
Master Member

Let’s wait and see.
Old 24-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #1640
Supremacy Member

Most likely not, unless they sell the box at less than $40 and don't bundle any apps.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #1641
Master Member

Has anyone been using Cartoon HD apk on their phone?

Mine has stopped loading while at home few nights ago,. I'm using Starhub BTW...

I suspect sh has blocked this app.. Any idea how to rectify it?

Thanks
C_boliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #1642
Supremacy Member

Those of us who have some basic understanding of Android Box will know the difference.

Unfortunately, the average man in the street may not and will probably just think that all Android TV boxes are illegal.

The headline scream 'Android TV box seller fined in landmark copyright infringement case'. And so it will be easy for them to conclude that Android TV Box is illegal.
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #1643
Master Member

Those of us who have some basic understanding of Android Box will know the difference.

Unfortunately, the average man in the street may not and will probably just think that all Android TV boxes are illegal.

The headline scream 'Android TV box seller fined in landmark copyright infringement case'. And so it will be easy for them to conclude that Android TV Box is illegal.
Yes you have a good point here.

Let's wait to see how the law gets implemented and how the enforcement is carried out.

Right now it seems business as usual for the three kiosks selling Android TV boxes in Jurong Point from what I see. Business does not seem to be very good though but they are still surviving. I kind of feel strange that the kiosk selling Geekbox only can still survive. The other two kiosks are selling other mobile accessories along with Android TV boxes.

I think in the end the preloaded boxes will get out of the business and then people will start to buy the bare boxes. Streaming apps like those IPTV subscriptions may get blocked as well. Still the implementation will take time.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 25-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #1644
Master Member

Mine has stopped loading while at home few nights ago,. I'm using Starhub BTW...

Thanks
Better not discussing illegal apps in this forum.
Old 25-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #1645
Master Member

Is the seller give a TV box with the minimum stock android etc.
It is not illegal.
It is the inside software that make the local ISP panic.
Look at how much their revenue lost.
Moreover most ISP belong to government too.
This banned is anticipated sooner or later
bumperbee likes this.
CPTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #1646
Master Member

Better not discussing illegal apps in this forum.
Yes.
This forum is part of the Singapore Press Holdings (SPH).
CPTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 12:19 PM   #1647
Arch-Supremacy Member

Let’s wait and see.
Agreed, must wait and see. Such copyright law not easy to understand. May be empty box still ok.
bumperbee likes this.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #1648

Lazada has this box as well at S$127.60 for the 4GB/64GB version whereas Taobao is selling at RMB440. I expect Lazada price to drop a bit to around S$100-110 later.

Gearbest is selling this at US$78.
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009915411114.html

The internal 2.5 inch HDD bay is through USB to SATA converter so do not expect high performance. The video recording is said to be so so from the reviews I watched on YouTube.

As a streaming box or local media consumption device this should be pretty good. For proper video recording, you may want to look at the offerings from Zidoo like the lower end X9S or better models. They come with HDMI IN and HDMI OUT connection.
Hi Xiaofan, previously you recommended Zidoo X9S, it has Ram 2/16Gb, selling @S$170 and Zidoo Z10 Ram2/64Gb @ S$370, very expensive. If I do buy, it will be X9s, but the ram seem to be very small. Is it enough to cover streaming usage and installation of Apps? You are the expert in this, please tell me your opinion? Thanks
bumperbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #1649
Supremacy Member

Thanks
Not talking about illegal app. Sometimes isp also block legal app, e.g chrome browser.

The isp have a list of banned ip address, if you are using their dns to access the addresss in the list, they will direct you to a special page.

If your app is using ip address in the blocked list, you will not get anything, not even the directed page because the page is meant for browser.

If you are not using isp's dns, then you are not affected by the blocked list.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 25-04-2019 at 01:54 PM..
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #1650
Master Member

Hi Xiaofan, previously you recommended Zidoo X9S, it has Ram 2/16Gb, selling @S$170 and Zidoo Z10 Ram2/64Gb @ S$370, very expensive. If I do buy, it will be X9s, but the ram seem to be very small. Is it enough to cover streaming usage and installation of Apps? You are the expert in this, please tell me your opinion? Thanks
Zidoo device is kind of high end device and the primary use cases are for very for high quality rip of Blu-ray files, therefore they have harddisk interface. They also support the recording feature but this is a secondary feature.

Looking back at your requirement, I am actually not so sure if the recording feature of the Zidoo device actually meets your requirement. I have yet to come across reviews covering this use case in good details. So I have to say I am not sure whether the X9S is a good buy or not.

Ref: you can check out the old review here. But Zidoo keeps updating the FW so it should be better now.
https://www.cnx-software.com/2016/10...-broadcasting/

As for A95X, from what I know from the review, the recording is through screen capture, so do not expect high quality and it may not work with some apps. I will not recommend it for sure.

As for whether Zidoo X9S device is good enough for general streaming application (not Netflix), then the answer should be yes. 2GB/16GB is fine for general streaming application. FYI, Mi Box S is 2GB/8GB and it has a weaker CPU than Zidoo X9S.

Ref: Zidoo X9S review
https://androidpctv.com/review-zidoo-z9s/

Edit : sorry the above review is for better Z9S version but it is also a good reference for X9S.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-04-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.