HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree619Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #2416

Has anybody tried the Android TV x86 v1.1.8 ?

Thinking of using a 4-core i5 Intel processor with 8GB ram and a 120GB ssd, gigabit Ethernet and Intel HD VGA to set up and try Android TV OR just Windows-10 with Kodi and a boot up Launcher app.

Any comments.
bumperbee likes this.
eauyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #2417
Master Member

Thinking of using a 4-core i5 Intel processor with 8GB ram and a 120GB ssd, gigabit Ethernet and Intel HD VGA to set up and try Android TV OR just Windows-10 with Kodi and a boot up Launcher app.

Any comments.
I do not see the point of running Android x86 where the app compatibility is a problem. For your configuration the PC will run Windows fine and you can use Kodi and many other apps under Windows. Or you can use the browser for web based apps.

HTPC is a different world than Android TV boxes. People go to Android TV boxes because they are more convenient, consume less power, and usually quiet (no fan needed) and of smaller form factors.
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #2418

I do not see the point of running Android x86 where the app compatibility is a problem. For your configuration the PC will run Windows fine and you can use Kodi and many other apps under Windows. Or you can use the browser for web based apps.

HTPC is a different world than Android TV boxes. People go to Android TV boxes because they are more convenient, consume less power, and usually quiet (no fan needed) and of smaller form factors.
Yes, you are right but my android box S905X just don't give me that fluidity responses compared to Intel PCs. The Intel PC is a small form factor though at Dimensions 203 x 153.1 x 36.3 mm (WxHxD) <8" x 6" x 1.4"). Apps should not be a problem as the Playstore do have thousands of apps designed for TV format.

On the other hand if aet up with Windows 10 and Opera browsers, there is the VPN built-in which can choose Europe or US where it is possible to view Sports Live for example BWF French Open Live finals today at 1080P or soccer in Europe channels Live.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 27-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #2419

Just in case of confusion, I am asking about Android TV x86 and NOT Android x86. This Android TV is the same as the AndroidTV in Sony, Xiaomi, Shield, TCL, Hisense etc.

This Android TV software is derived from Google and adapted to x86 platform with a partition of ext-4.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 27-10-2019, 07:21 PM   #2420
Master Member

Any comments.
yes, it is quite good. I have tested it on a 10-year-old pc with core2-duo/2GB RAM, it is running faster than tv box with S905X chipset

it should do very well with your configuration.

the problem with x86 android is not all apps in playstore can be run because some of them are compiled for arm only. If installed from playstore, playstore will inform you whether it is compatible.

for sideloaded apps, especially chinese apps, the problem is more severe.

good news is , most of the good apps I used are compatible, and there is a version of x86 kodi.
eauyong and bumperbee like this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 07:24 PM   #2421

yes, it is quite good. I have tested it on a 10-year-old pc with core2-duo/2GB RAM, it is running faster than tv box with S905X chipset

it should do very well with your configuration.

the problem with x86 android is not all apps in playstore can be run because some of them are compiled for arm only. If installed from playstore, playstore will inform you whether it is compatible.

for sideloaded apps, especially chinese apps, the problem is more severe.

good news is , most of the good apps I used are compatible, and there is a version of x86 kodi.
Much thanks for your input. Would it be too much to ask if you can try out Opera browser with the VPN function. Thanks.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 27-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #2422
Master Member

Much thanks for your input. Would it be too much to ask if you can try out Opera browser with the VPN function. Thanks.
working well.
eauyong and bumperbee like this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 01:37 AM   #2423

working well.
Thank you. That seal the deal
bumperbee likes this.
Old 28-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #2424
Master Member

Best Android TV boxes 2019 from Android Authority. Only for reference

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...box-2-1021123/

1. Nvidia Shield TV
2. Xiaomi Mi Box S
3. Skystream Three Plus (expensive, seems to be a custom version of the cheap box, not recommended).
4. Walmart Ematic Jetstream 4K

Best alternative
5. Amazon FireTV Stick 4k
6. Google Chromecast
7. Roku Streaming Stick Plus
8. Apple TV

In the Singapore context, 1, 2, 5, 6 and 8 are more applicable. 3 and 4 are not recommended in Singapore. 7 is also less useful in Singapore even though it is very good in US.
Aresden and bumperbee like this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-10-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Old 28-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #2425
Master Member

For generic boxes, S905X2 boxes are still good choice even though S905X3 boxes are out.

Some boxes to be considered (quick search from Lazada)

Beelink GT1 Mini (good review and good support)
https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

Magicsee N5 Max

Mecool KM3 ATV Google certified but not Netflix certified
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km3-opinion/

Mecool KM9 Pro ATV Google certified but not Netflix certified
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km9-pro-opinion/

There are also OEM version of Tanix TX5 Max and TX5 Pro (without Tanix logo), but based on the feedbacks here, the quality may not be as good as the official Tanix version. The official version of Tanix TX5 Max is not available now and they are pushing TX5 Pro only (no external antenna, no Gigabit Ethernet).

There are also popular generic brand like H96 Max X2 and X96 Max but better not buy since the quality may vary and the support may not be good.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-10-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Old 28-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #2426
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hehe, the user is me, my TX5 Max (OEM) failed less than 3 months after buying it; still has problem flashing.

However, I bought a X96 mini 2/16GB for $28.12. So far it's working just as well as my TX5 Max for toggle and VOD (I don't game but use it daily).

It's about 1/3 of the price of a Mi Box S so if it last long enough, it's actually quite worth it .
For generic boxes, S905X2 boxes are still good choice even though S905X3 boxes are out.

Some boxes to be considered (quick search from Lazada)

Beelink GT1 Mini (good review and good support)
https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

Magicsee N5 Max

Mecool KM3 ATV Google certified but not Netflix certified
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km3-opinion/

Mecool KM9 Pro ATV Google certified but not Netflix certified
https://androidpctv.com/review-mecool-km9-pro-opinion/

There are also OEM version of Tanix TX5 Max and TX5 Pro (without Tanix logo), but based on the feedbacks here, the quality may not be as good as the official Tanix version. The official version of Tanix TX5 Max is not available now and they are pushing TX5 Pro only (no external antenna, no Gigabit Ethernet).

There are also popular generic brand like H96 Max X2 and X96 Max but better not buy since the quality may vary and the support may not be good.
Hi Xiaofan,

It's good to see that you're still here offering good advice.

BTW, the X96 mini I bought have officially outlive my TX5 Max. Frankly, the 2/16GB X96 mini is quite good.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #2427
Master Member

BTW, the X96 mini I bought have officially outlive my TX5 Max. Frankly, the 2/16GB X96 mini is quite good.
X96 Mini (2GB/16GB S905W, 2.4GHz Wifi and 100M Ethernet) is my first Android TV box and I bought it in earlier 2018. It is pretty much very similar to Tanix TX3 Mini in terms of hardware specification and the IR extender can be useful. And it did receive some FW updates along the way. I also used it with Armbian Linux. In fact there are many custom FW running on S905W boxes like Tanix TX3 Mini and X96 Mini.

For X96 Mini, WiFi performance is so-so and it is better to use Ethernet, 720p/1080p video output only so do not expect 4k output (4k 30fps decoding is possible). Thermal performance is also so-so (but much better than H6 CPU based box like Tanix TX6) and I use a USB fan to cool it down.

If your expectations are not high S905W boxes can still be very useful. But if you need to play and output 4k, then all the other popular CPUs are better now, even the cheap RK3318 outperforms S905W handsomely, let alone S905X2 and S905X3.

Last edited by xiaofan; 28-10-2019 at 06:55 PM..
Old 28-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #2428
Arch-Supremacy Member

X96 Mini (2GB/16GB S905W, 2.4GHz Wifi and 100M Ethernet) is my first Android TV box and I bought it in earlier 2018. It is pretty much very similar to Tanix TX3 Mini in terms of hardware specification and the IR extender can be useful. And it did receive some FW updates along the way. I also used it with Armbian Linux. In fact there are many custom FW running on S905W boxes like Tanix TX3 Mini and X96 Mini.

For X96 Mini, WiFi performance is so-so and it is better to use Ethernet, 720p/1080p video output only so do not expect 4k output (4k 30fps decoding is possible). Thermal performance is also so-so (but much better than H6 CPU based box like Tanix TX6) and I use a USB fan to cool it down.

If your expectations are not high S905W boxes can still be very useful. But if you need to play and output 4k, then all the other popular CPUs are better now, even the cheap RK3318 outperforms S905W handsomely, let alone S905X2 and S905X3.
For me 1080p is already very good on my 60" TV. 4K need better throughput and it's more cost all around.

I'm saying that because SG's free to air channels look the same on my 1080p box so I don't really need 4K for a long time.

Maybe I'm just easily satisfied
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #2429

Talking

Just wonder if it is good enough to get the new Nvidia Shield TV or should I wait for the Shield TV PRO? Any advise??
tayez80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #2430

there is a nividia shield thread

Nvidia Shield TV
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=5066924

Just wonder if it is good enough to get the new Nvidia Shield TV or should I wait for the Shield TV PRO? Any advise??
mmchaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.