HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree639Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #2431
Master Member

Just wonder if it is good enough to get the new Nvidia Shield TV or should I wait for the Shield TV PRO? Any advise??
I think the Pro is more future proof. For one thing 3GB/16GB is much better than 2GB/8GB. Lack of USB ports is another problem for the standard version. I also do not like the form factor of the standard version.

It is in fact a bit disappointing that they ship only 8GB/16GB of storage for such a premium device. 32GB storage is actually pretty cheap now.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/28/nv...-4k-upscaling/

Difference between Pro and Standard.
https://youtu.be/L-LG9EMBkYQ

Lon.TV review, he also recommends the Pro version.
https://youtu.be/cs0c1ZZYOP0

Of course it is still the best Android TV box money can buy. The best is that it finally fixes the two shortcomings of the previous generation -- Dolby vision support, and Dolby Atmos under Netflix.

But if are not that into gaming, you may spend a bit less money and get Amazon FireTV Cube 2nd Generation instead (which can do gaming because of the S922Z CPU but not as good as Nvidia Shield TV). You do lose the Chromecast function though.

Last edited by xiaofan; 30-10-2019 at 10:12 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #2432
High Supremacy Member

bookmarks.

harky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #2433
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...oxes-jail-term

Retailer fined for helping buyers access pirated content over Android TV boxes; jail term for its director
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #2434
Master Member

Any one using the Tanix TX6 Box.

http://www.tanix-box.com/project-vie...i-6k-alice-ux/

CPTMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #2435

Looks like cannot sell box with pre load apps and cannot provide add on service. Unclear on using box and loading your own streamer apps.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...oxes-jail-term

Retailer fined for helping buyers access pirated content over Android TV boxes; jail term for its director
outer92 likes this.
mmchaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #2436
Master Member

Any one using the Tanix TX6 Box.

http://www.tanix-box.com/project-vie...i-6k-alice-ux/

Avoid this box because of thermal issues.

However if you are willing to use a USB fan together with this box, then it is pretty decent in terms of performance.

Ref: https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...ifi-bt4-1-or-5

To avoid thermal issues, try to get S905X2 /S905X3 based boxes like Tanix TX5 Pro or Tanix TX3.

You may have to buy from Gearbest in order to get the official Tanix version with Tanix logo. Local online shops usually carry OEM version and the quality varies.

Last edited by xiaofan; 31-10-2019 at 07:17 PM..
Old 31-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #2437
Master Member

Looks like cannot sell box with pre load apps and cannot provide add on service. Unclear on using box and loading your own streamer apps.
Buying boxes like Mi Box S and NVidia Shield TV will be perfectly fine.

In fact Starhub Go Streaming Box is also runing Android TV OS (operator version, with Chromecast, but no Netflix certification).

Generic boxes should be mostly fine as well unless the vendor or the seller pre-loads illegal apps.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #2438
Arch-Supremacy Member

Buying boxes like Mi Box S and NVidia Shield TV will be perfectly fine.

In fact Starhub Go Streaming Box is also runing Android TV OS (operator version, with Chromecast, but no Netflix certification).

Generic boxes should be mostly fine as well unless the vendor or the seller pre-loads illegal apps.
Mi box S can buy from stores or only online Sia??
Ultimo_Urien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #2439
Master Member

Mi box S can buy from stores or only online Sia??
Both. It is cheaper to buy from online at around S$70-S$80 depending on offer and coupons you have. But you can also buy from Mi shops at S$99 with one year warranty (sometimes got promotion to S$89).

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-11-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #2440
Master Member

What are some great apps recommended for MI box S? I'm only using Netflix, YouTube, spotify and TVB anywhere app on it for my parents.
storm913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #2441
Master Member

What are some great apps recommended for MI box S? I'm only using Netflix, YouTube, spotify and TVB anywhere app on it for my parents.
Those apps you installed are the good apps. And it seems to me they already cover music, Cantonese and English Entertainment pretty well already.

What kind of apps do you want in addition to the above? It all depends on your needs.

For example if you are SingTel user you may want to install SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

You can also cast Toggle and Starhub Go from your mobile phone.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:45 PM   #2442
Arch-Supremacy Member

Those apps you installed are the good apps. And it seems to me they already cover music, Cantonese and English Entertainment pretty well already.

What kind of apps do you want in addition to the above? It all depends on your needs.

For example if you are SingTel user you may want to install SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast.

Can cast viu as well. One thing good about Android TV os is that when you cast apps like toggle and viu it skips the stupid ads

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
kelvinti and bumperbee like this.
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #2443
Master Member

Can cast viu as well. One thing good about Android TV os is that when you cast apps like toggle and viu it skips the stupid ads

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
Good tip. Thanks.

For Viu I think you need to pay for Viu Premium in order to cast to TV.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #2444
Master Member

I'm just wondering if I miss any great apps out, looks like I've got it covered for now. Anyone knows if there's any way to block ads on the Official Youtube app on mi box S?
storm913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 AM   #2445
Supremacy Member

I'm just wondering if I miss any great apps out, looks like I've got it covered for now. Anyone knows if there's any way to block ads on the Official Youtube app on mi box S?
one way is to run youtube on your phone , then chromecast the video to mibox s.

go to facebook group - tv box sg - to find out more about apps.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.