HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree562Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #2566
Master Member

Find that my Mi Box S works very well on non 5G network, if use 5G my Netflix playback will stutter.
If your wireless is not good enough to support Netflix 4K, you can consider use Ethernet with Mi Box S. You can buy 100Mbps or 1Gbps Ugreen USB to Ethernet converter and they will work with Mi Box S.

I have tested Ugreen USB 3.0 to Gigabit converter with Mi Box S and it works fine to give about 180Mbps (limited by the USB 2.0 port of Mi Box S).

Ugreen 绿连also has USB 2.0 Hub with 100Mbps Ethernet converter which can be a good companion with Mi Box S. I will test the speed as well once I find it in some corners of my room.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #2567
Arch-Supremacy Member

UPDATE:

TVB customer support got back to me and showed me this guide. It worked for me!

But I was able to connect to my Mi Box S without a premium subscription beforehand and able to view those classic shows like Lord of Shanghai and Moonlight Resonance in HD. Perhaps I shouldn’t have even paid for premium...
Paid for premium as I need Android TV support. Otherwise wouldn't have bothered

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #2568

Thanks for the updates.

Ha-ha, non paid member can enjoy many old shows. So if you are more interested in the old shows you do not need to pay.

I have VIP for Youku which has some TVB shows as well. So no intention to pay TVB.
https://tv.youku.com/hk/indextvb
Yeah I didn’t know that. My mum wanted to watch those old shows in Cantonese on her Mi Box S that’s why subscribed for her.

Since now don’t need premium to watch old shows on Android TV then will probably cancel the premium after this month.
bodohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #2569

Paid for premium as I need Android TV support. Otherwise wouldn't have bothered

Bro are you using premium to watch old shows or using it for Live TV?

Because I am using it to watch shows on my Mi Box S(running Android TV 8.1.0) and I am able to connect my non-premium account to activate it and view those old shows.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:03 PM   #2570
Master Member

Because I am using it to watch shows on my Mi Box S(running Android TV 8.1.0) and I am able to connect my non-premium account to activate it and view those old shows.
Hmm, supposedly this is not supported, I tried it just a few days ago on my Mi Box S.

Miracast from Android phone was possible if your TV or TV box supports Miracast screen mirroring but quality may not be good. I have not tried it recently.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #2571
Arch-Supremacy Member

That shouldn't be possible as only premium users get to watch on Android TV. I tried the live TV before though as it was available free to paying customers for 30 days. Streaming quality is excellent with no lags but they don't include 明珠台

Last edited by Just Me; 25-11-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Old 25-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #2572

Hmm, supposedly this is not supported, I tried it just a few days ago on my Mi Box S.

Miracast from Android phone was possible if your TV or TV box supports Miracast screen mirroring but quality may not be good. I have not tried it recently.

That shouldn't be possible as only premium users get to watch on Android TV. I tried the live TV before though as it was available free to paying customers for 30 days. Streaming quality is excellent with no lags but they don't include 明珠台

Hmmm that’s quite weird, I tried it from Saturday till now and it still works. Hopefully it lasts 😂
Old 25-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #2573

Iím using Mi Box S and currently itís free also.
JinHockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #2574
Arch-Supremacy Member

I’m using Mi Box S and currently it’s free also.
So you downloaded the Android TV os version of the app. Activated via code shown on the TV screen and it works with a free account? Just to confirm

Old 25-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #2575
Master Member

There is a workaround to use the mobile version of TVB Anywhere+ under Android TV OS device like Mi Box S.

1) extract the apk from mobile phone using apk extractor from Google Play Store
2) copy the file to a USB drive -- I use a dual USB-C OTG drive from Sandisk.
3) install the apk under Mi Box S
4) side load Set Orientation app from apktime, run it and set landscape mode
5) run TVB Anywhere+ and use a mouse to navigate (I use Logitech M557 Bluetooth Mouse)

Then I can log in using my free account.
Old 25-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #2576
Arch-Supremacy Member

There is a workaround to use the mobile version of TVB Anywhere+ under Android TV OS device like Mi Box S.

1) extract the apk from mobile phone using apk extractor from Google Play Store
2) copy the file to a USB drive -- I use a dual USB-C OTG drive from Sandisk.
3) install the apk under Mi Box S
4) side load Set Orientation app from apktime, run it and set landscape mode
5) run TVB Anywhere+ and use a mouse to navigate (I use Logitech M557 Bluetooth Mouse)

Then I can log in using my free account.
Oh, this method. No doubt it will work but it's a bit of a hassle. I'll rather watch on my tablet instead

Old 25-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #2577

Oh, this method. No doubt it will work but it's a bit of a hassle. I'll rather watch on my tablet instead

Huh no leh for mine I just download from Mi Box S’ playstore then follow the on screen instructions with activation code to activate on my phone then can already. But those premium(latest*) shows and live tv cannot watch
Old 25-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #2578

Thumbs up

MYIPTV in Carousell more expensive than Shopee, with Bank of the day Shopee credit card promotions, -$10 even cheaper
Not that expensive , i renew mine quite reasonable amount and the support
i got from the seller from Carousell is good after sales services.

And PinCode within 1-2mins.
kombat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #2579
Arch-Supremacy Member

Huh no leh for mine I just download from Mi Box S’ playstore then follow the on screen instructions with activation code to activate on my phone then can already. But those premium(latest*) shows and live tv cannot watch
Last time cannot watch on official Android TV os app without paying. If now this restriction has been lifted I'm gonna cancel my premium.

Old 25-11-2019, 10:45 PM   #2580
Master Member

Yes it works. I just tried it, no need the complicated method I used before.

Now they allow the free member to pair the app by scanning the bar code on TV screen. Nice.

I did not notice this a few days ago and I only read the other option which is to pay for the premium membership.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.