HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #2656
Master Member

hello, just to check, is ev pad still legal?

thanks thanks!
not legal, it comes with un-authorized live tv and VOD installed.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #2657
Master Member

not legal, it comes with un-authorized live tv and VOD installed.
thanks man.
aiya, just bought 1 for my parent.
are they able to trace if you are using it?
Old 16-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #2658

i have a question about the MiBox S. it's currently conencted to a TP-Link router and when I try stream the view on my phone via Chromecast, it takes forever to load.

Is it because:
- there's too many devices connected to the TP-Link router?
- Chromecast only works if you have a high-speed internet connection (not local network connection)?

Is there any other way to use "Chromecast" or atleast "stream" whatever I have on my phone to the MiBox without any lag or connection issue?

that is the app drawer button - to show all apps.

mibox s and all other android tv have no menu button.
donetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #2659
Master Member

thanks man.
aiya, just bought 1 for my parent.
are they able to trace if you are using it?
so far in singapore, no one is sentenced because of using these boxes, I think the enforcer is only interested in punishing the sellers.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 16-02-2020, 05:48 PM   #2660
Master Member

i have a question about the MiBox S. it's currently conencted to a TP-Link router and when I try stream the view on my phone via Chromecast, it takes forever to load.

Is it because:
- there's too many devices connected to the TP-Link router?
- Chromecast only works if you have a high-speed internet connection (not local network connection)?

Is there any other way to use "Chromecast" or atleast "stream" whatever I have on my phone to the MiBox without any lag or connection issue?
chromecast needs almost no bandwidth.

just a bit of information exchange between phone and tv box when you press the chromecast button. so if your phone can play the video, you can chromecast it to tv box.

the problem is how to do the chromecast, also the apps you are using, you can get it working if you are not doing it right.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 16-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #2661

here's a better picture:

PH Setup:
- MiBox S connected to TP-Link singleband ADSL router (5Mbps internet speed)
- roughly 10 devices are connected and connected via 2.4Ghz
- When doing Chromecast either via Netflix or Viu, it takes a minute or two before it starts streaming. I'm lucky enough if Viu lets me stream to the MiBox

- I tried another router, Prolink single-band router, and connected the MiBox S
- MiBox and my phone's connected
- since there's no internet connection, I can't stream anything and my phone's unable to detect the MiBox S .. which I find rather weird (phone and MiBox were both restarted).

SG Setup:
- MiBox S connected to Asus dualband router (1Gbps internet speed)
- roughly 10 devices are connected and connected via 5Ghz
- When doing Chromecase either via Netflix or Viu, less than 3 seconds, it starts streaming without any issue

could this be an issue with TP-Link due to it running on single band?

chromecast needs almost no bandwidth.

just a bit of information exchange between phone and tv box when you press the chromecast button. so if your phone can play the video, you can chromecast it to tv box.

the problem is how to do the chromecast, also the apps you are using, you can get it working if you are not doing it right.
Old 17-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #2662
Master Member

here's a better picture:

PH Setup:
- MiBox S connected to TP-Link singleband ADSL router (5Mbps internet speed)
- roughly 10 devices are connected and connected via 2.4Ghz
- When doing Chromecast either via Netflix or Viu, it takes a minute or two before it starts streaming. I'm lucky enough if Viu lets me stream to the MiBox

- I tried another router, Prolink single-band router, and connected the MiBox S
- MiBox and my phone's connected
- since there's no internet connection, I can't stream anything and my phone's unable to detect the MiBox S .. which I find rather weird (phone and MiBox were both restarted).

SG Setup:
- MiBox S connected to Asus dualband router (1Gbps internet speed)
- roughly 10 devices are connected and connected via 5Ghz
- When doing Chromecase either via Netflix or Viu, less than 3 seconds, it starts streaming without any issue

could this be an issue with TP-Link due to it running on single band?
you need internet connection for chromecast to work, even for casting video from handphone.

for showing video on handphone to mibox, there are 101 ways and chromecast is not needed.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 19-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #2663

Thanks!

Apparently, the TP-Link that I'm using is unable to handle the load of all the connected devices.

I bought a TP-Link dual-band router (set the old TP-Link s bridge mode) and it resolved the issue.

you need internet connection for chromecast to work, even for casting video from handphone.

for showing video on handphone to mibox, there are 101 ways and chromecast is not needed.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 26-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #2664

thanks man!
wilsonlsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #2665
Supremacy Member

Hi, recently my ubox3 started working not as well.. lots of time it's not working. Anyone can recommend the best android box right now to watch mostly TVB dramas (live) or chinese programs/movies? Thanks
ehsevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #2666
Master Member

Hi, recently my ubox3 started working not as well.. lots of time it's not working. Anyone can recommend the best android box right now to watch mostly TVB dramas (live) or chinese programs/movies? Thanks
just do a factory reset.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:30 PM   #2667

Not using it and the website seems to be down. However there is a kiosk in Jurong Point JP2 selling the Geekbox only and not other stuff. Business seems to be so so but they are there for sometimes already. There are two more kiosks selling preloaded boxes along with other accessories. The Remax shop also sells Redbean TV boxes.

In general do not buy these preloaded boxes sold in Shopping Centres.

But if you already bought the Geekbox you can still try to use it (even if the bundled iptv and VOD apps no longer work). Just learn to install other apps.
Hi Xiaofan, I need your advice. Which box would you recommend for me? I am using it mainly to watch soccer. I was interested to buy the Geekbox until I saw your comment.

Yes, they have a cart at JP2 and also at Jcube. The specs given is 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM, Android 9, Octa 8 Processor (64-bit) and 4K HDR resolution. The price they quoted me is $188 but no stock. Need to put a deposit first. I was shown a few sets which were reserved for people who had paid the desposit. I was told that if I were to wait for the stock to come in, the price would become $268. I can't understand their logic, no inventory, sell lower price, when they have inventory, increase the price. They promised 1 year hardware 1-to-1 exchange and lifetime app servicing. This means to bring the box to their cart every few months and they will help to delete obsolete apps and update new apps. Is this free servicing very important? For example, ensuring whatever they bundled in continue to work and subscription plans on any service (if any) are updated?

I would consider myself reasonably techy. However, I have zero Android box experience. I would like a box that is able to install apps from multiple sources. I don't think I want to spend above $200. At the same time, I also do not want to spend too much time trying to get things to work; and worse still, needing to do it every few months.

Based on my description, I would be most appreciative if you can offer your comment and recommendation. Or for convenience and time-saving sake, would this Geekbox still be an option for me? Thanks.
KieranC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #2668

Buy Evpad or Ubox which is cheaper & more reliable. Technical support is responsive.

Hi Xiaofan, I need your advice. Which box would you recommend for me? I am using it mainly to watch soccer. I was interested to buy the Geekbox until I saw your comment.

Yes, they have a cart at JP2 and also at Jcube. The specs given is 4GB RAM, 32GB ROM, Android 9, Octa 8 Processor (64-bit) and 4K HDR resolution. The price they quoted me is $188 but no stock. Need to put a deposit first. I was shown a few sets which were reserved for people who had paid the desposit. I was told that if I were to wait for the stock to come in, the price would become $268. I can't understand their logic, no inventory, sell lower price, when they have inventory, increase the price. They promised 1 year hardware 1-to-1 exchange and lifetime app servicing. This means to bring the box to their cart every few months and they will help to delete obsolete apps and update new apps. Is this free servicing very important? For example, ensuring whatever they bundled in continue to work and subscription plans on any service (if any) are updated?

I would consider myself reasonably techy. However, I have zero Android box experience. I would like a box that is able to install apps from multiple sources. I don't think I want to spend above $200. At the same time, I also do not want to spend too much time trying to get things to work; and worse still, needing to do it every few months.

Based on my description, I would be most appreciative if you can offer your comment and recommendation. Or for convenience and time-saving sake, would this Geekbox still be an option for me? Thanks.
RAKSL38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #2669
Master Member

Buy Evpad or Ubox which is cheaper & more reliable. Technical support is responsive.
Yes that is true. If you are interested in preloaded boxes, then EVpad and UBox are better choices.

If you want to spend time on installing apps then there are other choices like Mi Box S or generic boxes based on S905X2/S905X3, they are usually below S$100.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #2670

Yes that is true. If you are interested in preloaded boxes, then EVpad and UBox are better choices.

If you want to spend time on installing apps then there are other choices like Mi Box S or generic boxes based on S905X2/S905X3, they are usually below S$100.

Those who are using EVPAD now, do you encounter problems with Saturn Live? It doesn't seem to work for a couple of days now. Any way to solve this?

Thanks.
everex is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.