Old 01-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #2793
Master Member

This one what the specs ? 2gb ram ?
4GB ram, 32 GB drive

gt a lot of bo liao app in the TV box, I going to clear those rubbish soon
candy crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:13 AM   #2794

Lightbulb

what is the model no for your philips box?

Don't see any model number on the packaging...

It's this one:

http://globalshop.qoo10.com/gmkt.inc...l_order_type=L

Googled image:

Spoiler!

>>> Parenting, Kids & Early Learning
forum <<<
zensushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #2795

Don't see any model number on the packaging...

It's this one:

http://globalshop.qoo10.com/gmkt.inc...l_order_type=L
Install media player apps, Kodi, MX Player or VLC.
zensushi likes this.
eauyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:51 PM   #2796
Supremacy Member

Hi hi!

I'm just looking for a simple media player to play my the videos files off my external USB HDD...

The remote control for my ACRyan PlayOn HD Mini 3 Media Player stopped working, so I need a replacement media player.

Bought a Philips Android box. Cannot get the MKV files to play with sound.

Any recommendations, please?
you are being chopped carrot if you paid more than $15 for the box (brand new). But it is still much better than your acryan

it is an old box, a gift from philips if you bought non-smart tv.

it is using S805 chip, has 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage.

Although it is dated, you can still use it to play media file up to 1080p properly. hardware decoding of h265 is also supported

Just need to install mx player, or kodi, because these 2 apps can play most video format.

Cautions: if you connect it to internet, it will update its playstore and playservice. After the updates, the box will become very irresponsible/laggy, because it has only 1GB RAM which is insufficient to run latest google services.

To make it work again, uninstall the updates for google playstore and google playservice, then disable them. The box will become much faster.
zensushi likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #2797

I am new to tv box. Still looking to buy one. Always watch netflix, youtube and ondramanice on chromecast to tv. Which box is recommended,maybe some good chinese drama and movies that is shown ondramanice.
urobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #2798
Master Member

I am new to tv box. Still looking to buy one. Always watch netflix, youtube and ondramanice on chromecast to tv. Which box is recommended,maybe some good chinese drama and movies that is shown ondramanice.
If you need Netflix and Chromecast, you do not have many choices, it will be either Mi Box S on the low end or Nvidia Shield TV on the high end.

As for the Chinese apps, there are many apps out there and you can search using Google.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #2799

Hi xiaofan, For netflix I can still watch on another hmdi slots. How about this one. it advertised so many programmes.
New T9 Tv Box 4GB+32GB 5gWifi+Bluetooth Smart Android tvbox 4K HDR Quality Android 9.0 IPTV Singapore Full Load APPS $78

Thanks.
urobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #2800
Master Member

Hi xiaofan, For netflix I can still watch on another hmdi slots. How about this one. it advertised so many programmes.
New T9 Tv Box 4GB+32GB 5gWifi+Bluetooth Smart Android tvbox 4K HDR Quality Android 9.0 IPTV Singapore Full Load APPS $78

Thanks.
If you see words like "Full Load" you need to be careful. At S$78, that can not be true.

The box is a lower end RK3328 based box and you can get better S905X3 box for similar price in terms of hardware spec.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #2801
Supremacy Member

4GB ram, 32 GB drive

gt a lot of bo liao app in the TV box, I going to clear those rubbish soon
how much you got this for ?
RadeonAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #2802

I'm new to Android TV box. If I purchase and install one, what's there to watch? I don't watch TV and it is more for my parents. Do I need to pay any annual subscription to the Apps inside? Thanks.
andyhtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #2803

you are being chopped carrot if you paid more than $15 for the box (brand new). But it is still much better than your acryan

it is an old box, a gift from philips if you bought non-smart tv.

it is using S805 chip, has 1GB RAM and 8GB internal storage.

Although it is dated, you can still use it to play media file up to 1080p properly. hardware decoding of h265 is also supported

Just need to install mx player, or kodi, because these 2 apps can play most video format.

Cautions: if you connect it to internet, it will update its playstore and playservice. After the updates, the box will become very irresponsible/laggy, because it has only 1GB RAM which is insufficient to run latest google services.

To make it work again, uninstall the updates for google playstore and google playservice, then disable them. The box will become much faster.

Thank you!

Managed to get the files to work with Kodi.

Yes, I am aware the media player is a complimentary item. But I just needed a simple player to replace the ACRyan one.

Had a headache trying to decipher the usefulness of the various boxes in the market now. What is a simple, updated media player box, please?
Old 06-05-2020, 06:35 AM   #2804
Supremacy Member

Thank you!

Managed to get the files to work with Kodi.

Yes, I am aware the media player is a complimentary item. But I just needed a simple player to replace the ACRyan one.

Had a headache trying to decipher the usefulness of the various boxes in the market now. What is a simple, updated media player box, please?
if you just want to play your own video library for up to 1080p, the philips box is good enough.

if you want higher speed with 4k video, many low end boxes at about $30 can do the job.

but it is better to get a reasonable box at about $50, using S905x or s905x2, with 2GB RAM. you can do streaming video from internet with such box.

The most versatile box is "mibox s" , you can play netflix 4k, prime video 4k with this box, come with chromecast built-in. About $75. You can also get box from nvidia with similar capbilities, at $200+
zensushi and bumperbee like this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #2805

Red face

if you just want to play your own video library for up to 1080p, the philips box is good enough.

if you want higher speed with 4k video, many low end boxes at about $30 can do the job.

but it is better to get a reasonable box at about $50, using S905x or s905x2, with 2GB RAM. you can do streaming video from internet with such box.

The most versatile box is "mibox s" , you can play netflix 4k, prime video 4k with this box, come with chromecast built-in. About $75. You can also get box from nvidia with similar capbilities, at $200+

Thank you for all the help!

Buy you a drink once we are good to mingle again?

>>> Parenting, Kids & Early Learning
forum <<<
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.