HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree721Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2020, 05:41 AM   #2806
Arch-Supremacy Member

I dunno whether to get a tv box that has pre-installed apps (that allow one to watch free movies and tv channels) or one that doesn't have.. I've never had a tv box before and I dunno how easy or how hard it is to download these kinds of apps...
Old 07-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #2807

I dunno whether to get a tv box that has pre-installed apps (that allow one to watch free movies and tv channels) or one that doesn't have.. I've never had a tv box before and I dunno how easy or how hard it is to download these kinds of apps...
It is very easy. Just imagine it to be much easier than installing Microsoft Office in a PC. Download and click install whatever you wish. If you do not like it, just click uninstall. Also it is just like a new android phone such as Xiaomi or Samsung.
8-lane likes this.
eauyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #2808
Arch-Supremacy Member

It is very easy. Just imagine it to be much easier than installing Microsoft Office in a PC. Download and click install whatever you wish. If you do not like it, just click uninstall. Also it is just like a new android phone such as Xiaomi or Samsung.
Ic how about which apps to download to watch live tv and movies... do we google/check Youtube to find out? For movies, we don't have to download the whole movie file... just download apps that stream movies can already right?

If we just wanna use the tv box for watching tv channels and movies and no gaming.. we should get one with at least 2gb+16gb is it?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #2809

I'm new to Android TV box. If I purchase and install one, what's there to watch? I don't watch TV and it is more for my parents. Do I need to pay any annual subscription to the Apps inside? Thanks.
I got Xiaomi Android TV box because of the damn CCB. Using Plex but hated it. Thereís Netflix and Prime Video which are best for latest original contents. Subscription needed. Install Rakuteb VIKI to watch free Korean and Chinese TV shows. I havenít tried meWATCH yet. I havenít watched Channel 5 and 8 for a very long time. Only watch CNA Live on YouTube.

Downloading apps is like how you do on your Android phone. If you want those Ďfriendlyí kind, I know itís possible but I donít know how to install.

To Android TV experts, is it possible to plug a usb DVB-T2 stick to my Mi Box S and watch those Ch5 or Ch8 stuff?
alphau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #2810
Arch-Supremacy Member

I got Xiaomi Android TV box because of the damn CCB. Using Plex but hated it. Thereís Netflix and Prime Video which are best for latest original contents. Subscription needed. Install Rakuteb VIKI to watch free Korean and Chinese TV shows. I havenít tried meWATCH yet. I havenít watched Channel 5 and 8 for a very long time. Only watch CNA Live on YouTube.

Downloading apps is like how you do on your Android phone. If you want those Ďfriendlyí kind, I know itís possible but I donít know how to install.

To Android TV experts, is it possible to plug a usb DVB-T2 stick to my Mi Box S and watch those Ch5 or Ch8 stuff?
What do u mean by "friendly" kind of apps?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #2811
Supremacy Member

have you tried install MeWatch on it ? if it works it can omit the use of DVB-T2 stick.
RadeonAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #2812

What do u mean by "friendly" kind of apps?
Illegal kind.

have you tried install MeWatch on it ? if it works it can omit the use of DVB-T2 stick.
Will go try later. If must setup an account, I might give it a pass.

Cannot find meWATCH on Android TV Play Store. Am I missing something?

Last edited by alphau; 07-05-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #2813
Master Member

Feel like getting the Mi Box S but trying to hold on in case they release a new upgraded version
ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #2814
Supremacy Member

the best thing about mibox s is it has chromecast built-in. it opens up tons of possibility.

for mewatch, you run it on phone and press the chromecast button to transfer the video to mibox, after that you can use your phone for other purpose, or as a smart remote control for mibox s.

to learn more about mibox or any other tv boxes, visit facebook group - tv box sg.
huitay and bumperbee like this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:30 PM   #2815
Supremacy Member

Ic how about which apps to download to watch live tv and movies... do we google/check Youtube to find out? For movies, we don't have to download the whole movie file... just download apps that stream movies can already right?

If we just wanna use the tv box for watching tv channels and movies and no gaming.. we should get one with at least 2gb+16gb is it?
2gb+8db is enough.

nowadays, most people stream video, downloading is a thing in the past, furthermore, it is not illegal.

see my earlier post to find out how/where to look for apps.
8-lane and bumperbee like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #2816
Arch-Supremacy Member

the best thing about mibox s is it has chromecast built-in. it opens up tons of possibility.

for mewatch, you run it on phone and press the chromecast button to transfer the video to mibox, after that you can use your phone for other purpose, or as a smart remote control for mibox s.

to learn more about mibox or any other tv boxes, visit facebook group - tv box sg.
I have the Chromecast dongle and I plug it directly to the tv.. I only watch Youtube (cast from phone) with it... can we also cast meWATCH or other such apps from it?

Last edited by 8-lane; 07-05-2020 at 02:50 PM..
8-lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #2817
Supremacy Member

I have the Chromecast dongle and I plug it directly to the tv.. I only watch Youtube (cast from phone) with it... can we also cast meWATCH or other such apps from it?
yes, you can.

only for those chromecast-enabled apps, e.g netflix, mewatch, youtube, rss player , tivimate, chrome.......etc
8-lane and bumperbee like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #2818

Bummer. Why can’t Mediacorp make an app just for Android TV? I don’t want to chromecast everything. Defeat the purpose of a standalone device.

No Chrome browser on Android TV Google Play Store too. Damn annoying.

I have a Google Chromecast dongle despite my TV has built-in Chromecast which doesn’t work all the time.

Maybe I should have gotten an Apple TV where meWATCH can be installed. Anyone wants to buy my Mi Box S? Apple TV got Safari browser?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #2819
Supremacy Member

Bummer. Why canít Mediacorp make an app just for Android TV? I donít want to chromecast everything. Defeat the purpose of a standalone device.

No Chrome browser on Android TV Google Play Store too. Damn annoying.

I have a Google Chromecast dongle despite my TV has built-in Chromecast which doesnít work all the time.

Maybe I should have gotten an Apple TV where meWATCH can be installed. Anyone wants to buy my Mi Box S? Apple TV got Safari browser?
doesn't work or don't know what to use??

I will buy your chromecast dongle and mibox s, $10 each, since your opinion on them are so bad.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #2820

doesn't work or don't know what to use??

I will buy your chromecast dongle and mibox s, $10 each, since your opinion on them are so bad.
Even the TV technician who came down couldnít get the built-in chromecast to work properly. Hope that answers your question.

The Chromecast dongle works perfectly fine. I have no problem with it. Got bored with the CB and I donít want to chromecast from mobile to dongle. Just that if I want to do quick web browsing, I have to switch video input source. Yes, I know can chromecast from mobile. Just check, Apple TV same this - must use AirPlay.

Only solution? Change the TV to an even smarter one.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.