HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree782Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #3061

be-careful when using casting with vpn. not all can work in this scenario.

if you need both casting and vpn, the safest way is to run vpn on your router .

Any recommended router? Changing my router too as current 2.4ghz wireless router from singtel spoiled
the best way is not to use vpn.
DDanieLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #3062
Master Member

I use cheetah vpn for mobile connect china version. So both box can then i should chose which one? Can advise?
Not sure if the VPN can work with iQiyi China version. The good China VPN includes Transocks, AiJiaShu, SpeedIn, SpeedCN, etc. Most of the apps from.Cheeta are bad apps.

As for box, either Minix NEO T5 or Mecool KM1 is okay. Minix is more famous as in branding. Mecool KM1 is cheaper and has higher HW spec than Minix NEO T5.
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 06:47 AM   #3063
Master Member

Any recommended router? Changing my router too as current 2.4ghz wireless router from singtel spoiled
the best way is not to use vpn.
No need to use cast if you want to use iQiyi. And the China VPNs typically do not support OpenVPN and may not be able to install on the router.

If you want to change the SingTel router, Asus RT-AX58 is a good one. Or you can look at the upcoming RT-AX82U or RT-AX88U if you want higher performance compared to RT-AX58U.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 14-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #3064

Do not buy. Extremely low spec in HW (worth less than S$30 or even S$25) with unknown IPTV package.
How about svicloud vs ubtv?
wuming79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #3065
Master Member

How about svicloud vs ubtv?
I will not recommend either one. But if you really want to buy such preloaded box, then buy the more established Ubox.
Old 14-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #3066

I will not recommend either one. But if you really want to buy such preloaded box, then buy the more established Ubox.
I am considering to get a preloaded box as well mainly becuz its for the older folks as an inexpensive replacement for starhub..

I tried installing various chinese apps for a generic box before (a while ago) but it ended up too complex and time consuming to troubleshoot when the old folks have problems with it..

Which chinese apps would you recommend which are stable?

Pardon me if there is already a list available.
FangsDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #3067
Master Member

I am considering to get a preloaded box as well mainly becuz its for the older folks as an inexpensive replacement for starhub..

I tried installing various chinese apps for a generic box before (a while ago) but it ended up too complex and time consuming to troubleshoot when the old folks have problems with it..

Which chinese apps would you recommend which are stable?

Pardon me if there is already a list available.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...s-5929935.html

You can refer to the above.

Recommendation for old folks. In terms of ease of use, from easy to more difficult.

1) Starhub or SingTel Fibre TV is still the easier option.

2) SingTel Cast (install on Mi Box S) or Starhub Go (cast from mobile phone, through Chromecast function of Mi Box S).

3) TVBAnywhere+ on Mi Box S

4) WeTV and iQiyi international version, with Mi Box S, both apps are available on Mi Box S

5) Youku TV version with VIP subscription

Last edited by xiaofan; 14-07-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Old 16-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #3068
Master Member

This one is a low end 1GB version with 1080p only. In this case, Mi Box S is not yet obsolete as it supports 4K.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaom...arbuds-europe/

The Mi Stick TV is a small dongle with a quad-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of internal storage. As we saw with the product listing, this model supports 1080p video output and Dolby and DTS surround sound. It runs Android TV based on Android Pie. Xiaomi is pricing the stick at just €39.99 (~$50) in Europe, which is considerably cheaper than similar products on the market.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 16-07-2020 at 08:00 AM..
Old 16-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #3069
Master Member

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400112...bilesitedetail

Offer price is US$30 now for the 1080p Mi TV Stick.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 17-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #3070

Any there any difference getting Android boxes from taobao and those "international" ones from banggood, gearbest, everbuying...
darr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #3071

The "Global" version is US$33-35....the difference is just language support? Apps are the same?
darr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #3072
Master Member

Any there any difference getting Android boxes from taobao and those "international" ones from banggood, gearbest, everbuying...
There are not many sellers in Taobao selling international version, so you need to be careful. Most of them are selling China version without Google Play Store.

If you are not familiar with Android TV boxes, it is recommended that you buy from local online shops like Lazada or Shopee, especially when they have offers.

For example, if you buy Mi Box S, then the best source is actually local online shops, cheaper and hassle free. I bought my Mi Box S from Lazada.

If you want to buy brands like original Tanix, then Gearbest is the best place to go, as local online shops usually sell OEM version without Tanix logo, same for Taobao, the quality may not be consistent. I bought two OEM Tanix boxes from Taobao, one is TX5 Max S905X2 box which is pretty good. The other is a TX6 H6 box which is very bad and now dead due to power supply failure.

For Beelink, then there are no OEM version, so you can buy from different places depending on price and warranty.

In general you do not want to buy from Taobao unless you are very familiar with Android TV boxes. If you really want to try Taobao, make sure you buy the so called 外贸盒子 which are international version. Alternative to Taobao is Aliexpress, which usually sells international version.
darr and bumperbee like this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 17-07-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Old 17-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #3073
Supremacy Member

Yes. Google services

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT
magixz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #3074
Supremacy Member

Would mi TV stick be better or generic s905x3 boxes be better. Because of performance I stayed off mi TV s.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT
magixz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #3075
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dragontv game over?
Jerroldscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.