HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree823Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #3136
Master Member

box guru bro, have u ever come across box wif 2 LAN card?
https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/11...ps-processors/

The above is one example.

But you should be able to diy as well with regular box with one Ethernet port, add one Ugreen USB Hub with Ethernet, then you have two LAN ports already.
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #3137
Master Member

Hi,
I am helping my parents with a simple setup to access mewatch using a non-smart tv. Also thinking of the mibox but they will not know how to cast from a phone - if this is the only way to access using mibox.
How about the newly launched mi tv stick?
Advice any bro? Thank you.
It is the same for Mi TV Stick or Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV. The recommended way is to cast from mobile phone.

Casting is easy. If they can use mobile phone, you can teach them to cast. Just launch MeWatch, click CH8 (or other channels) to play, then click the Cast button. Done. After that they can still use the mobile phone for other things, even shut down the phone.

It is possible to install MeWatch to Mi Box S, but then it is more problematic for the senior, as you can not exit the app. The exit button does not work under Mi Box S.

Just get a digital TV settop box and antenna if you think cast is difficult.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-08-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #3138
Supremacy Member

Hi,

I am helping my parents with a simple setup to access mewatch using a non-smart tv. Also thinking of the mibox but they will not know how to cast from a phone - if this is the only way to access using mibox.

How about the newly launched mi tv stick?

Advice any bro? Thank you.
have you tried yourself using chromecast??

don't undermine the intelligence of your parants.

using phone to watch mewatch, then chromecast to tv is a very very simple process. even 3 year-old can do it , if you teach them to recognize the chromcast icon.

using mouse to navigate mewatch on tv is much more difficult, even so for older people who seldom use mouse. Most 3 year-old will not able to do it.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #3139
Supremacy Member

Casting is easy. If they can use mobile phone, you can teach them to cast. Just launch MeWatch, click CH8 (or other channels) to play, then click the Cast button. Done. After that they can still use the mobile phone for other things, even shut down the phone.

if the intention of using mewatch is only to watch live tv, then it is not a right choice. DTV set top box can do a better job.

IMO, the most valuable part of mewatch is VOD. you can watch most of the past mediacorp drama, documentary..etc. For some reason I would not want to mention here, most of these dramas are hard to find elsewhere.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #3140
Arch-Supremacy Member

if the intention of using mewatch is only to watch live tv, then it is not a right choice. DTV set top box can do a better job.

IMO, the most valuable part of mewatch is VOD. you can watch most of the past mediacorp drama, documentary..etc. For some reason I would not want to mention here, most of these dramas are hard to find elsewhere.
Casting mewatch vod is a lot better as it does not have the stupid ads as compared to viewing it on phones/tablets

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
bumperbee likes this.
Just Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #3141
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/11...ps-processors/

The above is one example.

But you should be able to diy as well with regular box with one Ethernet port, add one Ugreen USB Hub with Ethernet, then you have two LAN ports already.
thks ...i go take a look

me not diy man
so money let ppl earn bah
bumperbee likes this.
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #3142

It is the same for Mi TV Stick or Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV. The recommended way is to cast from mobile phone.

It is possible to install MeWatch to Mi Box S, but then it is more problematic for the senior, as you can not exit the app.
The exit button does not work under Mi Box S.

Thank you @xiaofan @gregory_choo for your fine advice.

I should have mentioned that they do not have a smart phone! Yes, they do have a digital tv setup box but there is no mewatch,
right? Unless i missed out something...

I am thinking of using mewatch to watch reruns of old local drama or recent tvb drama in cantonese.

By the way, i am wondering why our national tv makes things so difficult and not compatible with android tv boxes? What
if i am a paid mewatch subscriber? Same same, right?
hkail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #3143
Master Member

I should have mentioned that they do not have a smart phone! Yes, they do have a digital tv setup box but there is no mewatch,

I am thinking of using mewatch to watch reruns of old local drama or recent tvb drama in cantonese.

By the way, i am wondering why our national tv makes things so difficult and not compatible with android tv boxes? What
I see. In that case you want to use the VOD feature of MeWatch.

In that case, unfortunately MediaCorp does not offer an app for Android TV OS. Try to contact IMDA and complain. Talk to your MP as well and maybe they can help.

You can buy an Apple TV since MediaCorp does offer an app for Apple TV 4th gen and Apple TV 4k. But it is much more expensive.

BTW, Mi Box S does have TVB Anywhere+ app and SingTel Cast app, so you can pay for the subscription if you choose to go that option.

SingTel cast Chinese Plus pack.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...t/chinese-plus

TVB Anywhere+ through SingTel or other telco.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...t/tvb-anywhere
hkail and bumperbee like this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-08-2020 at 07:27 AM..
Old 02-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #3144
Supremacy Member

don't ever try to buy android tv box and install mewatch for your parent - unless they have high proficiency of using airmouse.

you have 3 choices:
1. get a tablet or smart phone for them, teach them how to navigate when using the app. also the mi tv stick so that they can chromecast the video to tv's big screen.

2. buy expensive apple tv. you also have to teach them how to navigate using the remote.

3. get a smarttV that has mewatch app, but ~~~warning~~~~, it is very slowwwwwwwww. not recommended, but include here for completeness.
hkail and bumperbee like this.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #3145
Arch-Supremacy Member

3. get a smarttV that has mewatch app, but ~~~warning~~~~, it is very slowwwwwwwww. not recommended, but include here for completeness.
netflix on smarttv speed ok leh even for for 4k
mewatch app on smartTV why slow?
vaxvms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #3146
Supremacy Member

netflix on smarttv speed ok leh even for for 4k
mewatch app on smartTV why slow?
ask mediacorp.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #3147

Yes, the MeWATCH app on my Samsung TV is laggy, like just a couple of seconds slower when executing commands compared to my Netflix and YouTube app.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #3148
Supremacy Member

Yes, the MeWATCH app on my Samsung TV is laggy, like just a couple of seconds slower when executing commands compared to my Netflix and YouTube app.
it is a good tool to train your patience.

You will have enough time to reflect yourself after every button pressed.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:22 AM   #3149
Master Member

For newer generation of preloaded box like EVpad or Ubox, they are all using the H6 CPU, try not to pay anything above S$200. The box HW cost is all less than S$60 so you are paying the rest for the apps. Best is to buy the lowest box with 2GB RAM. Then consider the WIFI factor if you can not use Ethernet.

For EVpad, that means either the EVpad 3S if you are okay with 2.4GHz WiFi or EVpad 3 or EVpad 5S if you need 5GHz WiFi.

HW cost difference between 3 2GB/16GB and 3Max 4GB/64GB will not be more than S$20.

EVpad 5P is 4GB/32GB.
EVpad 5S is 2GB/16GB.

EVpad 3S is 2GB/8GB without 5GHz wifi.
EVpad 3S Malaysia edition is 2GB/16GB without 5GHz wifi.

EVpad 3 is 2GB/16GB.
EVpad 3 Plus is 2GB/32GB.
EVpad 3 Max is 4GB/64GB.

Older EVpad models are no longer being sold but they should still work as well if the hardware still survives. And if they are still being sold, usually it is not worth buying.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-08-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #3150
Master Member

Latest UBox Gen 8 box UBox Pro Max is based on newer H616 CPU, which is still a low end CPU if compared to S905X3. It has 4GB RAM and 64GB storage.

On the other hand, the older Gen 7 UPro S is using H6 CPU, 2GB RAM and 32GB Storage.

Basically no need to buy latest Ubox Pro Max.

Gen 6 UPro 2 is using H6 CPU, 1GB RAM and 16GB storage. Gen 5 UPro has the same spec. Both should still be fine if you mainly run the apps bundled with the box.

The older Ubox models are no longer being sold but they are still usable if the hardware survives.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-08-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.