HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree721Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #691
Master Member

Never really tried it. I do not need Android TV myself since I have my own Chromecast and I do not need Netflix. I do not have 4K TV or monitor either and I am happy with anything 720p/1080p. Without these needs, normal Android is actually better for me.

I read some good words of it — maybe you can try it and comment here.

Hmmmm.... Anyone tried ATVxperience ROM?
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #692

Seconded!

Personally I like the Minix Neo U1. Its got a good quality built and online community support. There are a lot of cheaper china-made android boxes though...
I bought that box too! Its really good and reasonable priced for the quality!
Richnogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #693

Airmouse

This is the air mouse I bought.

MX3-L 2.4G Wireless Air Mouse
https://shopee.sg/product/87075981/1627208975

I also hooted a Bluetooth Gamepad, actually I don't game dunno I buy for what.
https://shopee.sg/product/18784557/1433141926

I tried using the default remote from Tanix, it was ok until I tried scrolling in "Youtube kids" and "Newest Movies HD" apps but failed. I tested Ceturplay remote D-pad mode and Mouse mode, it failed as well.

It only worked when i click and drag with a wireless mouse.

Not sure if anyone else also face the same issue or issit me doing wrong somewhere.

Can you help me test if you are able to scroll within "youtube kids" app? Thanks!

Airmouse makes a lot of differences, especially if you use kodi, lousy ones will make you feel like want to bang wall.
Richnogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #694
Master Member

I bought that box too! Its really good and reasonable priced for the quality!
Minix NEO U1 was one of the better Amlogic S905 box out there (released in late 2015).

The current model seems to be NEO U9-H which is out in 2017 and it using more powerful S912 CPU. Lazada seems to sell it for around S$180-S$190. At that price, Zidoo X9s may be a better choice with NAS function but everyone has its preferences.

Overall Minix is one of the more premium brands out there if you want to pay for the brand, probably similar to Zidoo.

Beelink may be another choice to a lesser extent (lower cost too). Beelink GT1 Ultimate is also using Amlogic S912 CPU and Lazada price is around S$100.

Zidoo H6 Pro and Beelink GS1 are using the lesser popular Allwinner H6 CPU and may be worth a look as well.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-11-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Old 18-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #695
Supremacy Member

Never really tried it. I do not need Android TV myself since I have my own Chromecast and I do not need Netflix. I do not have 4K TV or monitor either and I am happy with anything 720p/1080p. Without these needs, normal Android is actually better for me.

heard that chromecast works, but not netflix .

can only run hp version of netflix that gives only 480p.

The potential problems for custom rom is the hardware compatibility - remote control, bluetooth, wifi.. etc - may work on some boxes, but not all.

If using airmouse, lan and don't need bluetooth, it is a very good alternate rom - it gives you free chromecast .
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #696
Supremacy Member

I also have a Chromecast but too troublesome to connect another device to the TV, sound good if I can get Chromecast function in my Android box.

Maybe when I backside itchy then I try.

heard that chromecast works, but not netflix .

If using airmouse, lan and don't need bluetooth, it is a very good alternate rom - it gives you free chromecast .
Yeah, that the key thing!
Sambuca78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #697
Supremacy Member

I also have a Chromecast but too troublesome to connect another device to the TV, sound good if I can get Chromecast function in my Android box.

Maybe when I backside itchy then I try.

Yeah, that the key thing!
It is very convenient if chromecast is available in android box.

You can also install happycast in the android box to receive DLNA .

Chromecast+DLNA cast will make the box very versatile.
Old 20-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #698

Not sure if I want to replace my raspberry pi + 1gen Chromecast with a mibox.

My og Chromecast can't play 720p60 youtube videos smoothly. I just use the yaste app on my phone to get Chromecast like casting on my pi running osmc (Kodi)

Is there a YouTube app that blocks Ads on androidTV os? If I had to use Kodi for YouTube to just block ads I see no reason to change my current setup.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #699
Master Member

Not sure if I want to replace my raspberry pi + 1gen Chromecast with a mibox.

My og Chromecast can't play 720p60 youtube videos smoothly. I just use the yaste app on my phone to get Chromecast like casting on my pi running osmc (Kodi)

Is there a YouTube app that blocks Ads on androidTV os? If I had to use Kodi for YouTube to just block ads I see no reason to change my current setup.
Hmm, my 1st gen Chromecast work pretty well (I remember 720p no problem). It is located very close to my router though. My cheap 1080p only 40inch Akira dumb TV has three devices connected to the HDMI, SingTel TV box, Apple TV 3rd gen (wired Ethernet) and Chromecast 1st gen (2.4G wifi). Then old Wii and an old DVD player are connecting to other ports.

Apple TV 3rd gen also has YouTube but I like Chromecast better. I used to watch podcasts though Apple TV but now seldom use since phone is easier.

No experiences with ads blocking...

Edit to add:

BTW, I think YouTube ads are not too bad.

And If I am not wrong YouTube Android TV version should provide better resolution than Kodi YouTube. Kodi YouTube interface is pretty ugly if you ask me, Android TV version is slightly better, normal phone version interface is better.

Kodi is practically useless for my purpose since I am mainly interested in Chinese entertainment (Mandarin, Cantonese and Hokkien).

Last edited by xiaofan; 20-11-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Old 20-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #700

Hmm, my 1st gen Chromecast work pretty well (I remember 720p no problem).
It's and issue with all 3 generations of Chromecast after Google did some changes to the bitrate of 60fps videos. Even the new release 3rd gen struggles with 1080p60 videos.

Not sure if newpipe works on androidTV os or I should get a rooted TV box and install YouTube vanced.

YouTube on Kodi isn't straight forward to setup. you have to create and use your own API key from Google in order to not overload the default key. also you have to enable mpeg-dash to get 1080 and up playback.

maybe I should just get the mibox for the better Chromecast.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 20-11-2018 at 09:40 AM..
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #701
Supremacy Member

install quickcast for handphone.

you can cast youtube video using quickcast to mibox, chromecast or another other android box.

The casted youtube video has no advertisement.
Old 20-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #702

thanks. info helpful..
stanceu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #703
Master Member

Which are the trusted shop to get the box? Preferably with preload apps.
homedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #704
Master Member

Which are the trusted shop to get the box? Preferably with preload apps.
None is probably the answer if you need to go with preload apps...
Old 20-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #705
Master Member

None is probably the answer if you need to go with preload apps...
Remember I went last pc show that some did preload with apps and price under $100 looks like good deal.
homedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.