Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard netflix now individualy certify certain boxes and phone to run hd netflix. Last time they just depend on DRM level thingi

I see. I do not use Netflix myself. But they have a list of Netflix 4K device.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Non-TV, non-Computer device list:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

The following devices support Ultra HD streaming. They must be connected via HDMI to a port on your Ultra HD TV that supports 60Hz. Both the HDMI cable and the HDMI port on your TV must be HDCP 2.2 certified to successfully display Ultra HD content. If you need assistance determining which port meets these criteria, consult your TV's user manual or contact the TV manufacturer.

NOTE: Devices must run the latest firmware for Ultra HD playback to work properly.

Air 7410X (Waoo! in Denmark)
Airtel Hybrid (India)
AirTV Player
Amazon Fire TV (New Version)
Apple TV 4K
BANDOTT BA101 (FLnet in Taiwan)
British Telecom - BT DTRT-4000
Broadcom VIP5662 (Bell Canada)
Bouygues Bbox Brooklyn
Chromecast Ultra
Viewing (CJ Hellovision in South Korea)
Comcast Xfinity Arris XG1v4 (X1)
Dish Hopper 3
Dish 4K Joey (ZiP110)
DNA TV-hubi
Deutsche Telekom (4K capable models)
Euskaltel, R Cable, or Telecable 4K
Fetch Mighty
HOT Fiber 4k
KPN, Telfort, XS4ALL ZXV8001
MEOBox 4K from MEO Portugal
Nvidia Shield
Orange France (4K capable models)
Orange Livebox Play in Spain
Orange Samsung ICU100 in Poland
Partner TV
PCCW nowOne
Pik TV (Telus Canada)
PlayStation 4 Pro
Proximus Decoder
Roku (4K capable models)
Sagem 4K (Totalplay in Mexico)
Sky (4K capable models)
SFR-LaBoxV3 and SFR-Numericable STB7
Sunrise DIW384
TDC YouSee Tv-boks (YS-4000)
Telecom Italia TIMvision (4K capable models)
Telenet TV-box 4K
TiVo Bolt
UHD Swisscom TV-Box
UPC TV Box
Virgin Media - V6 powered by TiVo
Vodafone TV Box (4k capable models)
Xbox One S and Xbox One X
Ziggo Mediabox XL
More devices coming soon!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. I do not use Netflix myself. But they have a list of Netflix 4K device.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

More devices coming soon!

Interestingly Mi Box / Mi Box S are not listed. Other than Shield TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, XBox and PS4 versions, mostly other from payTV vendors, including PCCW in Hong Kong. SingTel and StarHub and MediaCorp apparently are behind in terms of 4K content.

Still I do not care about 4K myself since my TV and monitor are 1080p only. I am happy with 720p already. I also do not care about Netflix myself.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interestingly Mi Box / Mi Box S are not listed. Other than Shield TV, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, XBox and PS4 versions, mostly other from payTV vendors, including PCCW in Hong Kong. SingTel and StarHub and MediaCorp apparently are behind in terms of 4K content.

Still I do not care about 4K myself since my TV and monitor are 1080p only. I am happy with 720p already. I also do not care about Netflix myself.

for netflix, if your box is not certified, you can get only 480p.

so, if the box is not certified, it is better off using other free apps to watch movies/drama, which have 702p, 1080p video.

pawn_king

Reaction score
hi peeps, any recommendation for watching TVB?

My parents are using starhub and paying $50+/mth solely for TVB.

I got them a ubox, but the quality, language (no cantonese) and ease of use still lacks behind cable tv.

Would a better box (4k perhaps?) and paid apps provide a closer experience to cable?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I got them a ubox, but the quality, language (no cantonese) and ease of use still lacks behind cable tv.

Would a better box (4k perhaps?) and paid apps provide a closer experience to cable?

The box does not matter too much. I believe none of the paid “IPTV” apps will meet your requirements to match StarHub Cable/Fibre TV. If you just need Cantonese and reasonable quality, then there are free apps. Ask in the Facebook group.

The other way is to use paid VPN, I have never tried it myself. Google finds this one.
https://how-to.watch/tvb-online-overseas/

shortslippers

Reaction score
Mi box. All the unofficial TV box are not lisenced to run netflix DRM etc also they can't support Chromecast etc.

Unless you are a hacker and want to run Armbian Linux on your TV box, you are better off with the official android TV box.

Thanks. I noticed the lack of a LAN port. would it be an issue when streaming shows?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I noticed the lack of a LAN port. would it be an issue when streaming shows?

If you need something better, and if you need Netflix HD, then you have to pay more like Nvidia Shield TV.

Lack of Ethernet and lack of storage device are the main problem for Mi Box.

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2018/10/18/mi-box-review/

You can see that in US, Roku and Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV beat Android TV for Entertainment usage any time. But Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV are less useful here. I have 3rd-gen Apple TV but seldom use it other than Airplay occasionally.

I know there are people using VPN and then use Roku or Amazon device for US entertainment content. I am more interested in Mandarin/Cantonese stuff.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi peeps, any recommendation for watching TVB?

If I'm not wrong, there's TVB on my Starhub Go box (I don't watch it); $199 (with box) for 6 months then $25 monthly.

kaya14

Reaction score
Would anyone know if the star hub go box can be used overseas?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

xthene

Reaction score
I have a every elementary basic question.
If I have a TV that comes with a digital tuner, do I still need a digital antenna if I get an android TV box?

Would I still be able to watch channel 5/8 programmes without the digital antenna?

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
平平地。。。唔過$20用嚟接收印尼頻道嘅粗型天綫都收得到數碼頻道清清楚楚。最重要嘅係你天綫擺位,是否近窗口,或係離開窗口擺室内。

pawn_king

Reaction score
If I'm not wrong, there's TVB on my Starhub Go box (I don't watch it); $199 (with box) for 6 months then $25 monthly.

Oh thanks, that's new to me. Is this available to view in starhub shops? Want to try it out before committing to $200 for 6 mths.

I also came across this TVB anywhere app (android/apple store). Anyone has any experience, compared to SCV channel 855/856?
price very reasonable, $5.98/mth or $4.98 for myrepublic users

squarepipe

Reaction score
If I have a TV that comes with a digital tuner, do I still need a digital antenna if I get an android TV box?

Would I still be able to watch channel 5/8 programmes without the digital antenna?

The android TV box is basically like a android phone but use your TV as display. It streams videos from the internet. Your TV with the antenna gets videos from over the air radio waves

shortslippers

Reaction score

From my uds no. Unless there is a 2 in 1 device. maybe experts here can enlighten

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.