Android TV Box

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Still have loop hole, right ? They can still sell their apps separate from the box. You see at the computer show, they fervently installing apps on the box. So they can package the apps, make it easy to install and still sell, right ? Though they may make less margin from getting uplift from the box.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I don't get why people want a preloaded android box. You don't buy a new android phone and expect all the apps you want all preinstalled? U open Google play store or any other store or sideload the apps you want. Same with your TV box. It's basically running the same os as your phone.

Those boxes running androidTV os like the Nvidia shield and Xiaomi mi box are probably better for most people as they are running an OS specifically design for TV and support DRM, Chromecast and run actual android TV apps. Unlike the other android boxes which run the phone version of android.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people want a preloaded android box. You don't buy a new android phone and expect all the apps you want all preinstalled? U open Google play store or any other store or sideload the apps you want. Same with your TV box. It's basically running the same os as your phone.

Those boxes running androidTV os like the Nvidia shield and Xiaomi mi box are probably better for most people as they are running an OS specifically design for TV and support DRM, Chromecast and run actual android TV apps. Unlike the other android boxes which run the phone version of android.

Those not so tech savvy or even some tech savvy people are buying boxes like Unblocktech Ubox or some live IPTV subscriptions.

They have the curated pirate streams which takes a lot of efforts for individual to get and maintain so indeed I can understand why people choose to buy them. Basically you will not get these apps like UBTV on Ubox from Google Play Store or other places. Sometimes you can download the apps for free but then you need to pay for subscription fee.

Tv boxes sellers here are indeed part to blame for the proposed ban, advertising that the boxes can watch any channels and any shows the users here want. Some say one time payment, some say two year low subscription fee, often say no need to pay SingTel and Starhub.

I think this is probably a good thing for Singapore in the long run because of the aims to be an IP hub. Those SLS and shopping mall preloaded Android TV boxes are anyway not recommended in the first place.

Rights holder and service providers like TVB, EPL, Starhub, SingTel and Netflix should probably work harder to win the minds of the consumers too.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still have loop hole, right ? They can still sell their apps separate from the box. You see at the computer show, they fervently installing apps on the box. So they can package the apps, make it easy to install and still sell, right ? Though they may make less margin from getting uplift from the box.

under the new law, it is illegal to sell the apps that allow user to stream from unauthorised sources.

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
previously you used wrong apps on xiaomi box that is meant for views in china.

if you installed right apps on your old xiaomi box now, you can still stream smoothly.

actually those app for china it is downloadable for the international version?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually those app for china it is downloadable for the international version?

Yes you can install the apps which are meant for China (Youku, Tencent Video, iQiyi, etc) on your Mi Box and Mi Box S, but the contents are mostly geoblocked. So you need to use VPN or things like Unblock Youku.

For Youku and QQ Music, what I have found out is that you can pay for the VIP and then you can access the content without VPN.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for you, yes, please don't use android tv box because you don't know how to use.

I know user can buy an empty box then put the apps in but they may do a full ban all set top box. May be under the new law only ISP can sell such box.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know user can buy an empty box then put the apps in but they may ban all set top box.

Read the news and the government file carefully. They can not just ban all set top boxes.

Since you have a Starhub streaming box and that is an Android TV box as well running an Operator version of Android TV OS. You can install the pirate stream apps on your Starhub box as well. So you think the government should ban the starhub box as well? Same for the Sony Android smart TV running as well.

People can buy Mi Box S purely for the purpose of 4k Netflix and YouTube, and that is perfectly legal.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Read the news and the government file carefully. They can not just ban all set top boxes.

Since you have a Starhub streaming box and that is an Android TV box as well running an Operator version of Android TV OS. You can install the pirate stream apps on your Starhub box as well. So you think the government should ban the starhub box as well? Same for the Sony Android smart TV running as well.

People can buy Mi Box S purely for the purpose of 4k Netflix and YouTube, and that is perfectly legal.

Correct. Then what is the purpose?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, any idea how to solve the unblock tech issue? I tried changing dns. It doesn’t work.

don't have to change dns

just delete the app from the box and install again from the app market, then it should work.

i guess ub changed the server address.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.