HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #376
Master Member

Netflix can only be installed on certified Android TV OS

I got tricked into buying those boxes once and I'll never repeat that mistake. These boxes can go down anytime, if the person is unlucky, it may just stop working the next day.

I originally wanted to get an Android box and subscribe to Viu and Netflix but after seeing Starhub's offer, I decided to try it. Besides, $199 is quite a good deal considering I don't have to worry about whether it'll close down or not.
fake_oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #377
Arch-Supremacy Member

Netflix can only be installed on certified Android TV OS

Yup, that's why I find it irritating finding the right box. However, Starhub has everything I'm looking for $199. I can do without Netflix but Viu is mandatory, if not, I'll get an earful from my wife
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #378
Master Member

This is one seller out of so many in Sim Lim and COMEX I heard there are alot as well. Add that to online seller, you have alot of people selling these boxes. I think think is like the chinese saying, kill the monkey to warn the chicken.
Police never come up against the users though. Just the companies in civil suit. ODEX and Dallas Buyers Club

If you are in international tv box's forums or facebook groups, you will see many reports from users asking what to do because they received warning letters from ISP.

But it is up to you if you think that downloading movies using torrents is ok. If you peep further, you will realise that using popcorn time to streaming is the same as downloading.

The point here is it is not necessary to risk yourself because there are many better apps for movies which are not illegal to use.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 14-09-2018 at 11:03 AM..
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #379
Master Member

I got tricked into buying those boxes once and I'll never repeat that mistake. These boxes can go down anytime, if the person is unlucky, it may just stop working the next day.

I originally wanted to get an Android box and subscribe to Viu and Netflix but after seeing Starhub's offer, I decided to try it. Besides, $199 is quite a good deal considering I don't have to worry about whether it'll close down or not.
You got tricked into buying box from conman.

There are many conman selling tv boxes. They operate in this way: get cheap $30 boxes, install some free software download from internet, then sell them at $100-$200. Some even print a logo on the box, of course they pass the cost to you.

If you buy the same box with only android os at $30 and install apps yourself, it won't "just stop working at the next day".

Actually there is nothing special about android box, you can view it as an android phone, or android tablet, except that it has no screen, and have to use your tv to see the picture.
boonkang likes this.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:15 AM   #380

If you are in international tv box's forums or facebook groups, you will see many reports from users asking what to do because they received warning letters from ISP.

But it is up to you if you think that downloading movies using torrents is ok. If you peep further, you will realise that using popcorn time to streaming is the same as downloading.

The point here is it is not necessary to risk yourself because there are many better apps for movies which are not illegal to use.
Letters from ISP about copyright infringement seems to be a US only thing. If you don't want your ISP to spy on your internet traffic, use a VPN.
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #381
Master Member

Thanks for your well meaning
But we are in singapore and should view laws in the singapore context

Like if overseas people can own guns dont mean we can take that as a precedent or case in singapore

Old 14-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #382
Arch-Supremacy Member

You got tricked into buying box from conman.

There are many conman selling tv boxes. They operate in this way: get cheap $30 boxes, install some free software download from internet, then sell them at $100-$200. Some even print a logo on the box, of course they pass the cost to you.

If you buy the same box with only android os at $30 and install apps yourself, it won't "just stop working at the next day".

Actually there is nothing special about android box, you can view it as an android phone, or android tablet, except that it has no screen, and have to use your tv to see the picture.
That's right. I've learnt a valuable lesson from that stupid box and have become better ever since.

I do find Starhub's offering quite worth it because I really had no time trying to find an Android box that ticks all the boxes (or most of it). Besides, a good one will be about $70~$80 and it doesn't come with subscription.

In fact, there's one seller right at Raffles Place MRT selling those useless box; so many people fell for it.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #383

You basically got 2 types of android boxes to choose from.

1st is boxes that run the AndroidTV OS i.e nvidia shield and mibox. Some TV like sony has AndroidTV OS built in. Those you get the best experience with integrated google voice assistant,chromecast,4K netflix and the ability to control with your google home.

The other is boxes from other companies like MXQ, Mecool etc.
Those come with the same android version that comes with your phone/tablet. The benefit being you can install all the same apps like your own phone. The downside is you wont get the TV optimized version of the apps and some will only work best with a touchscreen or mouse & keyboard. Also the launcher will be a custom skin designed by the manufacturer that most likely pales in comparison when compared with AndroidTV OS
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #384
Master Member

Thanks for your well meaning
But we are in singapore and should view laws in the singapore context

Like if overseas people can own guns dont mean we can take that as a precedent or case in singapore

In singapore context, it is not illegal to keep a few downloaded videos for own use, but it is illegal to host the video for distribution or keep a large number of downloaded videos.

Using torrent to stream or download video is the same as hosting the video for illegal distributions.

Our government doesn't actively enforce it, but if the content providers complain, they will act on it.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #385
Master Member

Torrent stream might be a grey area
I host, but i dont think i host the complete show when streaming. Heck, I dont even know if i am hosting. From my perspective is just a stream like Youtube. There is an option to download, but I dont download. If the streamers all take down their video, then i cant access. I am not holding a copy. I am not liable

If you download and keep, yes. Potential and most prob you are infringing. But so far have been civil suits for the downloaders. ODEX and Dallas Buyers Club (who the fuxx wants to see such a show anyway). These cases are counting on the fact that you keep a copy that you didnt buy = piracy.

Those decoders that decode Singtel and Starhub are plain stealing

In singapore context, it is not illegal to keep a few downloaded videos for own use, but it is illegal to host the video for distribution or keep a large number of downloaded videos.

Using torrent to stream or download video is the same as hosting the video for illegal distributions.

Our government doesn't actively enforce it, but if the content providers complain, they will act on it.
Old 15-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #386

I'm looking at h96 Pro max.

Qoo10 with local warranty 1 year.. 32gb.. $97
Lazada, ship from overseas no warranty 64gb model.. $65

Amy advise?
MyNameIsNas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #387
Master Member

I'm looking at h96 Pro max.

Qoo10 with local warranty 1 year.. 32gb.. $97
Lazada, ship from overseas no warranty 64gb model.. $65

Amy advise?
why not a mibox international version at $70+

reliable hardware from reputable company, quality components, and google-certified android TV OS.
Old 15-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #388
Master Member

Android tv box user, how to stop having ads pop up while watching? Every 5 to 8 mins, the ads will auto pop up.
Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #389

Android tv box user, how to stop having ads pop up while watching? Every 5 to 8 mins, the ads will auto pop up.
Is the box rooted? If so you can install adaway from the f-droid store. It's a system wide adblocker
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #390
Master Member

you installed many viruses.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.