Internet fibre broadband what to get

valentines

Reaction score
Re-contract SingTel Samsung Connect Home 1Gbps Fibre 24mths
at $49.90+[(2unit {Master Slave}x$6)-$12Rebate for 24mths]/mth

FREE pair of Samsung connect Home
AC1300 2x2 2.4Ghz 400Mbps 5Ghz 866Mbps. ET-WV521
Plus free: Motion sensor and Smart plug

include Free Dual-Band Wireless AC Router/Modem (AC Plus AC1900)
ALL free items to be self collect. ... ... etc... ...

_______
FYI

Airties WiFi Mesh 4920
AC1600. 2x2 2.4Ghz 300Mbps 3x3 5Ghz 1300Mbps

For 1Gbps SingTel Fibre 24mth
Will be $49.90+(-$5Rebate 24mths) / mth

May I know where did you see the $5 and $12 rebate? I couldn't find it in online brochure. Thanks

valentines

Reaction score
with samsung connect seems like a good deal but aint sure how it fairs with other competitors?

anyone who have any reviews on it please share :D

The Samsung Connect Home wifi gets 228mbps in living room and 180mbps in bedroom based on this article. My d/l speed in living room with Singtel AC1900 router alone is 350mbps so this seems like a downgrade. http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/pricey-mesh-router-so-so-performance

The Airties 4920 while not great seems to perform better here and comes with 3x3. https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...-singtel-wi-fi-mesh/performance-conclusion-17

farrhannyong

Reaction score
Of course you should upgrade to wifi mesh.

speedtest.net shows th below results
YGObGQib1mpEGDI52

device is a Lenovo 120s laptop, 802.11 A.C 1x1 + BT 4.0
router is the RT 56s.

whats the difference if i were to get the AC1200 vs a say Linksys Velop option offered by M1. they are also offering the Asus Lyra. all i know is Velop is better but pricier.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
I have recontracted with singtel just now. But they said recontract cases will not have free modemn. Is this correct?

Cocoon33

Reaction score
I have recontracted with singtel just now. But they said recontract cases will not have free modemn. Is this correct?

Not true, I recontract my 1 Gbs plan still have ac plus router redemption letter, got it from pluserve at OC somerset.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

depends on which plans u are at. since its a recontact and speeds plan stays the same, so no free modem.

unless u upgrade from 200/300/500mbps plan to 1gbps maybe they will, as i have checked with their CSO last year (not sure now stays the same or not)
that i will need to change to support a better speed. (not sure if this is true or not)

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
speedtest.net shows th below results
YGObGQib1mpEGDI52

device is a Lenovo 120s laptop, 802.11 A.C 1x1 + BT 4.0
router is the RT 56s.

whats the difference if i were to get the AC1200 vs a say Linksys Velop option offered by M1. they are also offering the Asus Lyra. all i know is Velop is better but pricier.

well linksys velop and lyra are more of a mesh product so their main point is more on coverage but still giving decent speed.

as for ur ac1200 is more or a normal router with a lot of networking features to play with but coverage is decent as well.

next your router is actually pretty much the same as rt ac56s. just slight differences and as for your laptop getting that speed i think its ok...since afterall this pc isnt that powerful.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
depends on which plans u are at. since its a recontact and speeds plan stays the same, so no free modem.

unless u upgrade from 200/300/500mbps plan to 1gbps maybe they will, as i have checked with their CSO last year (not sure now stays the same or not)
that i will need to change to support a better speed. (not sure if this is true or not)

I recontract with same, 1gbps. But my previous plan was auto upgraded by Singtel last year. When I first signed up for the plan a few years ago, I was on 500mpbs. So my current router can actually support 1gbps or not..

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I recontract with same, 1gbps. But my previous plan was auto upgraded by Singtel last year. When I first signed up for the plan a few years ago, I was on 500mpbs. So my current router can actually support 1gbps or not..

well if u recontacted and they didnt said anything about changing the modem, den that means your modem is still able to support it,

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No router is due to being last upgraded plan was a year ago.

Unless there is no upgrade within contract period, then it would have to take it as usual recontract case, as most provided free router.

If the router do support 500mbps then there is no issue as to able to support 1Gbps.
If not they will provide the router or mentioned something to get a better router to support 1GBps.

farrhannyong

Reaction score
well linksys velop and lyra are more of a mesh product so their main point is more on coverage but still giving decent speed.

as for ur ac1200 is more or a normal router with a lot of networking features to play with but coverage is decent as well.

next your router is actually pretty much the same as rt ac56s. just slight differences and as for your laptop getting that speed i think its ok...since afterall this pc isnt that powerful.

thanks! this is helpful. i just wanted validation for my doubts. i'll think about it more. i did read that other than the external antennae giving slightly better coverage for the AC1200, the AC56s is not much different. at present, these are my options moving forward depending on priority.

coverage > mesh
money > stick to the same plan without recontracting.
speed > upgrade my receiving devices.

am i on the right track?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
thanks! this is helpful. i just wanted validation for my doubts. i'll think about it more. i did read that other than the external antennae giving slightly better coverage for the AC1200, the AC56s is not much different. at present, these are my options moving forward depending on priority.

coverage > mesh
money > stick to the same plan without recontracting.
speed > upgrade my receiving devices.

am i on the right track?

Mesh can improve speed if you currently face a weak reception from your current router.

Interference can also affect speed use a app to scan WiFi channels and choose the one with least interference.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
do a speed test n u'll know...

my fren got a free upgrade from 500 to 1gb last year but singtel din give him new router n his current one can't get 1gb speed too... after recontract, singtel then give new router to collect from +Serv at 313@Somerset...

I didn't attempt to do so all these while as I thought it was a free upgrade. Just download an app to test right.

PinkGlory

Reaction score
Do I connect the Samsung wifi mesh to the singtel router? When I signed up for the plan, I was told that with these mesh then we can do away with the singtel router. But I can't connect to the modem direct. So in this case, I would need 4 electrical points instead of the previous 2? Like this will incur additional electrical bills right?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Do I connect the Samsung wifi mesh to the singtel router? When I signed up for the plan, I was told that with these mesh then we can do away with the singtel router. But I can't connect to the modem direct. So in this case, I would need 4 electrical points instead of the previous 2? Like this will incur additional electrical bills right?

What do you mean by can't connect to the modem directly?

If the SingTel "modem" is a ONT you will have to set the Samsung mesh to a "Singtel"profile.

An I do believe each mesh node needs to be individually powered. The "modem" won't supply power to it.

Personally if won't worry about it using too much electricity. Those devices aren't power hogs. Using the water heater during shower will consume more electricity then the mesh system running 24/7

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.