HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

M1 fibre 500mbps $29 or whizcomms 1gbps $28?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2017, 11:06 AM   #1

M1 fibre 500mbps $29 or whizcomms 1gbps $28?

Hi all, need advise on which to get? Mainly surfing, streaming, simple gaming, etc. Both are at almost same pricing. Will I get 1gbps or 500mbps is the usual speed achieved?

Many thanks
Gene
genelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

I will go for M1 of their reliability.
hk7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #3

Hi all, need advise on which to get? Mainly surfing, streaming, simple gaming, etc. Both are at almost same pricing. Will I get 1gbps or 500mbps is the usual speed achieved?

Many thanks
Gene
For the tasks that u do can't really tell the difference between the speeds unless you are streaming 4k content. I believe m1 also has multi service saver that will bring the cost down further if u have their hp plan

GoldenStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

just letting u know that whizcoms is riding on singtel infrastructure. so if singtel down, their technician most likely will rely on singtel as well.
ZrE0_Cha0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

WhizComms will always be second class citizens for SingNet Fibre. Anything goes down, good luck waiting for them to fix for you.

M1 on other hand, owns their broadband infrastructure, other than leasing NLT fibre lines at the exchanges (all ISPs have to go through SingTel thanks to the route). So anything wrong in M1's network, they can fix asap.

lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

piggyback singtel, no plz

M1 ba
Old 19-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Tks all! Really helped to clear my doubts! Cheers!!!
genelim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #8

Its just a bit funny why everyone here say rather go for big company, then prefer M1 over Singtel.. And keep saying Singtel breakdown.. Not that I have anything against M1, but isn't Singtel infrastructure more reliable? I've been using Singtel broadband for many many years, and only experienced breakdown once, which was last year.. Whereas my friends have been condemning M1's service.. If its me given the choice, I'd rather go for whizcomms, which is providing the Singtel service.. and somemore 1Gbps only $28.. Once my Singtel contract ends and if they cannot match the price, I will go for whizcomms..
cattie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Supremacy Member

Its just a bit funny why everyone here say rather go for big company, then prefer M1 over Singtel.. And keep saying Singtel breakdown.. Not that I have anything against M1, but isn't Singtel infrastructure more reliable? I've been using Singtel broadband for many many years, and only experienced breakdown once, which was last year.. Whereas my friends have been condemning M1's service.. If its me given the choice, I'd rather go for whizcomms, which is providing the Singtel service.. and somemore 1Gbps only $28.. Once my Singtel contract ends and if they cannot match the price, I will go for whizcomms..
SingTel won't even try to compete at all for pricing.

Erm M1 Fibre for 6 years, breakdown only once, and it was caused not by M1 but SingTel. The Bukit Panjang Exchange Fire.

lohsenglte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not to forget, last Thursday has a minor breakdown which lasted for several hours.

Whether Singtel pricing maintains or coming out with an exceptionally good deal has no basis of comparison to service reliability. Likewise, m1's cheaper pricing for equivalent plan does not mean m1 is more inferior than the more expensive Singtel.

As a singtel user for years, I am satisfied with the network performance and I believe the extra penny I am paying for will translate to better experience. I can only say m1's cheaper pricing comes with its own set of disadvantages. The topic was discussed before when M1 launched the 1gbps plan, and that also explained the differences between m1 deployment and Singtel, suggesting why there is a speed difference statistically..

So which provider the consumer will go for, it's entire up to the market. When there is an adequate push for Singtel to win back the market share, they will do so naturally under the natural influence of market mechanism.

So are you still gonna reiterate that m1 is cheaper again?

SingTel won't even try to compete at all for pricing.

Erm M1 Fibre for 6 years, breakdown only once, and it was caused not by M1 but SingTel. The Bukit Panjang Exchange Fire.
Old 19-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
Master Member

Take note once M1 contract expired, it will be back to normal higher pricing.

A 24-month service commitment contract applies. Discounts are valid for 24 months, thereafter, prevailing rates apply.
https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/Terms...bandPromotions
Spirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Each of us have different user experience with the operators because of our difference in usage. They can't do a blanket satisfaction for all thus we see a natural shift in market share. Whizcomms may be riding on Singtel infrastructure but the service experience comes from Whizcomms, not Singtel right?

Old 19-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Use m1 at 3 different homes, never down before for the past 4 years (not that i could recall)

Reason for m1 because its cheaper and can use any off the shelf routers as compared to the overpriced singtel that limits itself like a particular fruit product.

There is nothing superior between any ISP since the underlying infrastructure is more or less from the same source you are just paying for the branding as like any product out in the market thinking they are superior which they are not.

Last edited by batniss; 19-03-2017 at 03:06 PM..
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

If i have to based on something that is out of my experience

Singtel: http://downdetector.sg/problems/singtel

M1: http://downdetector.sg/problems/m1

Seriously?

"As a singtel user for years, I am satisfied with the network performance and I believe the extra penny I am paying for will translate to better experience"

Is something like Malaysia slogan? Truly Asia where you can get the first hand of all kinds of negative experience over there?

Didnt know there are people who enjoy paying more to experience intermittent internet connectivity issues as part of the experience.

This world sure make up of many strange people eh.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #15

Relax this thread is to compare m1 and whiz.

We are not say Singtel cmi. We just making a point that if u compare m1 and whiz. M1 would be a better option. Since whiz need to get back end support from Singtel whatever that issue.

Singtel is just too expansive for most user. So those who cheap and don't demand a lot. M1 wins
sadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.