Warning: TP Link Powerline adapter

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Which powerline brand good for multiple rooms?

TIA

I moved from DLINK to TP-Link.
I find TP-LINK got more choices of kits.
I have 3 rooms connected with 6 homeplugs.

I am now targetting for the ac wifi kit - AV1200 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit (TL-WPA8630P KIT).

Do start gradually and try as it may not be suitable for your home electrical.

Lodzhade

Reaction score
me is using tp link av2000. I had never did a speedtest on it before as i am using it for my miotv, never had any issue before. There are several reviews on it, it can easily tops 400mpbs for direct connections.

Jasonrulez

Reaction score
i'm currently using the AV1000 2-Port Gigabit.
Speed can only up to 150Mbps max.

Should I upgrade to AV2000 instead?

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Based on my experience, I find that if your current wireless router is high-end, then getting a good extender will achieve much higher speed than with homeplug.

I agree that for homeplug, TP-Link is quite impressive. I am also using TL-WPA8730 for many months. Before that, I was using Aztech 500Mbps, but it only give me 80Mbps, which I accepted it as a way of life due to my old condo wiring. Then last year, I tested the TP-Link TL-WPA8730, which achieved about 200Mbps when plugged directly to wall socket (even though the app claims I get full 1200Mbps throughput).

TPLINK-WPA8730-20.jpg

Unfortunately, my study room no space to plug the homeplug directly, so I had to plug to extension cord, and I ended up getting 120Mbps, which is not too bad (the app shows throughput drops to 230Mbps). Good thing is that this model also has a wireless extender which I also utilise.

Recently, I received a review unit from D-Link DAP-1720. After 2 weeks of testing, I am pleased with the performance. This extender comes with LAN port so I plugged the desktop directly to DAP-1720 instead of WPA8730 and I attained above 300Mbps. Very happy. In addition, I felt that the DAP-1720 extender works better than the WPA8730 extender, in terms of speed as well as coverage.

So end of the day, it depends on your house layout. Homeplug has an uncertainty that the existing wires are not optimised, and requires direct wall socket, whereas wireless extender is more flexible, easier to deploy.

Disclaimer: D-Link and TP-Link products are on long-term loan to me as a product reviewer-blogger. I share my experience and I use these products for months. I am not paid to write for any brands, so hope you appreciate my sharing of my experience here. If you want to read my reviews in details, you can visit my blog and read further on each of the above products.

Reference links:
TP-Link TL-WPA8730 AV1200
D-Link DAP-1720 AC1750
D-Link DAP-1860 AC2600

Shawshankredempti0n

Reaction score
lol @ wifi reduction.
your router's wifi is still on for your mobile devices. Your neighbours' numerous wifi overlap into your house. shopping centres and offices full of wifi.
Entire Singapore also enveloped by 3G/4G radio waves.

QFT.

Some people just cannot wrap their heads around the fact that we are bombarded with wireless signals everywhere.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Open your laptop or handphone wifi and see the amount of SSID being displayed.

Seriously, wifi reduction.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Sorry but LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

ChinTuaKi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Never, ever buy power line adapters. That rubbish barely gives a decent connection, and is unstable as hell. Drops all the time. It's just some hobo technology to make users believe they can get wired connection without laying lines.

For $150 (cost of the adapter), you can get any contractor to come your house and lay Cat 6 cables. Gold standard, not that expensive, do once and forget. This is from my own experience with trying different adapters before caving in to what I should have done from the start.

Share contractor contact please.

claymoreftw

Reaction score
Did you confirm your hardware compatibility and speed requirements? My TP Link Powerline is working well! I am using the AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Starter Kit because I'm sharing my wifi connection with 7 others - my internet is much more stable after using it.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
it's working well for me

max speed of 100mbps - im getting 80 for download and 95 for upload

got TP-Link AV500 for $19.90. cheap investment :)

hk7310

Reaction score
it's working well for me

max speed of 100mbps - im getting 80 for download and 95 for upload

got TP-Link AV500 for $19.90. cheap investment :)

If you happen to have a Dlink DIR-868L, set it up to be a wireless bridge, and connect it thru its ethernet port at the back, you may amaze with the speed. I could get 500Mbps+/-.

actan1

Reaction score
Just purchased a TP Link powerline adapter set for $99 last night. The theoretical speed on the box stated 500mbps, but it is obviously not going to happen. But to not even get 10% of 500mbps is ridiculous!

http://www.tp-link.sg/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4530-KIT.html

Despite plugging into the wall sockets directly and hooking up with Cat 6 cables, the speed was only a pathetic 29mbps. 29 is not even 10% of the stated 500mbps. Even wifi is faster!:s8:

Will take more screenshots of this garbage product soon.
Go for wireless extender instead

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT

actan1

Reaction score
yes it is halved. but then, I find that "half-speed" way above powerline bandwidth

yeah, me too... i used to have homeplug.. makes me vomit blood.
now i have 2 wireless repeater, it is very stable although is half the speed

doofie

Reaction score
Never, ever buy power line adapters. That rubbish barely gives a decent connection, and is unstable as hell. Drops all the time. It's just some hobo technology to make users believe they can get wired connection without laying lines.

For $150 (cost of the adapter), you can get any contractor to come your house and lay Cat 6 cables. Gold standard, not that expensive, do once and forget. This is from my own experience with trying different adapters before caving in to what I should have done from the start.

you have any good recommendation for netwok cable contractor?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah, me too... i used to have homeplug.. makes me vomit blood.
now i have 2 wireless repeater, it is very stable although is half the speed

I think it all depends. Based on my experiences with two TP-Link AC1200 extenders and a pair of D-Link AV2000 power line adapters, if you can get a good spot to put the wireless extender, yes you get faster speed than power line adapter. On the other hand you may find that in some situations there is no optimal spot to put the wireless extender and power line may be a better option.

Either way, need to manage the expectations. I am happy with my power line adapter since I only expect near 100Mbps wired speed and so far they can achieve 100-200Mbps at different spots in my 20 year old HDB flat. But again YMMV.

From various reviews you will not get very high speed (>360Mbps) with your power line adapter in general. That is probably also true for wireless extender.

If you need very good wifi coverage, probably WiFi Mesh is the current sure work solution to go (pay more by keep adding more units) if you are not able to wire up your house to add wireless access points.

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should I just downgrade to 500Mbps Starhub fibre broadband instead of using the 1Gbs firbre?

I am using TL-WPA8730 now.. and everyone in the house is using wireless to connect to the internet.

So, when I do speed test, this are the results I get.
Lower floor - 5ghz wifi - max 256 Mbps on speedtest.net starhub
Upper floor - 5ghz wifi - max 26 Mbps on speedtest.net starhub.

basically I am using like 1/5th of the 1Gbps max speed all the time... LOL

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just installed this TP-Link Powerline Adapter TL-WPA4220KIT AV600.

https://www.tp-link.com/no/service-provider/powerline-adapter/tl-wpa4220kit/

I'm very impressed by the simplicity of installation and the signal strength boost in my rooms.

When I first read about the technology many years ago I thought it was a con-job, but it has been very stable and the speed is quite decent.

This is just nice for working from home for the next 1 month+ :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.