HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #1501

One of the possible alternatives to Android TV box is Apple TV 4K, especially if you are into Apple Eco system or like to have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with the streaming services like Netflix. It also has support for many apps and games.

It only supports 1080p on YouTube only.

Ref: refer to review here
https://youtu.be/vDWOndOPRfQ

Discussion in Hardwarezone forum.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/a...209888-54.html
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is also running Android. It is a good alternative to Mi Box S as well if you do not need Chromecast feature. It has the advantage of Dolby Vision support.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/amazon-...ick-4k-review/

Review: in US it competes with Roku Streaming Stick Plus.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/roku-st...k-plus-review/

Roku does not run Android but its own apps. No point using Roku in Singapore.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 07-04-2019 at 10:03 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #1502
tbs

Thanks! No use buying a new box then
What a waste. The app is really good.

Mi Box S specific questions may be better answered in its official thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...537957-38.html

Anyway I do not know about this app before but I just Google it and as a test I tried it on my phone. I can tell you that it does not load either on my Huawei P20 Android 9 phone.

To me looks like your Mi Box S is not the issue but the app. I suspect this app may be blocked by ISP but that can not explain why your tablet works. You can try it on your other Android device as well to see if that makes a difference.

Mi Box S is one of the best boxes for now. You can buy a new box (eg S905X2 box like Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max) to supplement it if you want but you may want to sort out your app issue first. Buying a new box may not help.

Edit to add: the app can not load on my Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 TV box either. Probably your tablet is running an old version.
tbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #1503

hi all

I need to ask some sifus for advice

I have a UBtech box for about a year now, and as you know its not very stable and i want some advice

Is there a box that comes with something like UBLive TV with all the channels? I realise that most of the channels are from China so even AXN, HBO are in chinese subs or even cartoon network are in Chinese. Any app or box that have all channels for ENGLISH? I like those old 90s HK movies but cannot find app or channel for it

Even UB tech sucks - i can basically use only kodi - if i want korea dramas - but no korean movies (using ic drama) - any repo recommendation for korean movies or anime?

Kum Sia very much - maybe i may even buy U-rock or Red bean for 5G streaming-what do you think?
duckulapip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #1504

I have a UBtech box for about a year now, and as you know its not very stable and i want some advice

Is there a box that comes with something like UBLive TV with all the channels? I realise that most of the channels are from China so even AXN, HBO are in chinese subs or even cartoon network are in Chinese. Any app or box that have all channels for ENGLISH? I like those old 90s HK movies but cannot find app or channel for it

Even UB tech sucks - i can basically use only kodi - if i want korea dramas - but no korean movies (using ic drama) - any repo recommendation for korean movies or anime?

Kum Sia very much - maybe i may even buy U-rock or Red bean for 5G streaming-what do you think?
If you want proper AXN, HBO etc, pay for legitimate services like SingTel TV or Starhub TV or HBO Go. For Korean content, Viu is the legitimate app to use. For 90s HK content, try TVB Anywhere SG but it is only for mobile.

U-Rock and Red Bean suck much more than UBox. All of them use pirated streams so do not have high expectations on the quality of the channels. And Ubox at least has a company behind it to support the app. Not so sure what you mean 5G streaming, I assume you mean 2.4GHz/5GHz dual band WiFi, which are present at good boxes like Mi Box S and Tanix TX5 Max.

If you do not want to pay service providers like SingTel, Starhub, HBO and Viu, and want free stuff, but you are not satisfied with Ubox, you have to spend efforts on Google.

For HW boxes, Mi Box S will be a good choice. But if you do not need Netflix and Chromecast (looks like you do not need them), buy a S905X2 based box like Tanix TX5 Max and Beelink GT1 Mini. They will run Kodi better and other apps than the latest Ubox Pro 2 but much cheaper. But you have to get your own apps for your requirement. It is not easy to match UBTV on the live TV front. It is not difficult to beat UBox on the VOD front.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 07-04-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Old 07-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #1505

The Tanix TX5 Max remote is just an cheap IR remote. No USB dongle at all. That is why I say Beelink wins in the remote side.

If you want to add a USB mouse, you can use the USB 2.0 port for the mouse, leave the USB 3.0 port for other usage like a USB Flash Storage.
Xiaofan... Sorry ..another noob question to clarify
If both remote have the the same simple function......
a) beelink using usb dongle so it will take up one of the usb Port
b) Tanix TX 5 make use of the IR free up the USB port

So wouldn't be tanix 5 design for the remote controller is much more better.
But then the 2 available port is just nice for my USB mouse and remote if I am to get the beelink GT1.

Thanks.
Froggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #1506
Arch-Supremacy Member

Can share the price and link that you brought from?
Any comment of this TV box after your usage?
Thanks.

May want to get this or the Tanix tx5 max.... Still pondering over this two
I also was in your shoes couple of weeks back but decided to go for the TX5 Max 4/32GB (see price in quote above).

So far, there is no problem with this box, it runs really cool, be it wireless, remote, toggle, browsing, etc. I have a bluetooth touchpad mini keyboard paired with the box and it works flawlessly.

It's much better than my Starhub Android box and now I'm contemplating getting another TX5 Max or Beelink .
bumperbee likes this.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #1507

Xiaofan... Sorry ..another noob question to clarify
If both remote have the the same simple function......
a) beelink using usb dongle so it will take up one of the usb Port
b) Tanix TX 5 make use of the IR free up the USB port

So wouldn't be tanix 5 design for the remote controller is much more better.
But then the 2 available port is just nice for my USB mouse and remote if I am to get the beelink GT1.

Thanks.
The remote control of Beelink GT1 Mini is actually IR and USB two in one. It has the voice control function which I believe only works with the USB connection. So yes it does take one USB port if you want more functions. If not just use it as an IR remote.

Tanix remote is IR only and no voice control function.

Both Tanix TX5 Max box and Beelink GT 1 Mini have 1 x USB 3.0 port and 1 x USB 2.0 port.

Many users like those USB Air Mouse but personally I do not like them.

If you want to spend a bit more, a Bluetooth mouse/touchpad combo can be used, like Logitech K400 Plus.

Ref:
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 13-04-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #1508

I also was in your shoes couple of weeks back but decided to go for the TX5 Max 4/32GB (see price in quote above).

So far, there is no problem with this box, it cruns really cool, be it wireless, remote, toggle, browsing, etc. I have a bluetooth touchpad mini keyboard paired with the box and it works flawlessly.

It's much better than my Starhub Android box and now I'm contemplating getting another TX5 Max or Beelink .
Thanks for the feedback.
The price is no horse run.
Couldn't see such price in lazada.that why request you to share the link.
Hmm... How you manage to get at $52+ with the original at $75?
Old 07-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #1509

Thanks for the feedback.
Haha that is his trade secret. Just kidding but I had no idea how he could get such a low price so I was thinking he got the wrong box like the lower end TX6.

I can tell you I bought the 4GB/32GB OEM version (no Tanix logo) at RMB310 or S$62 from Taobao, not counting GST and shipping fees.

Best price from Taobao is now about RMB290 or S$58, not counting GST and Shipping (sea shipping needs to pay GST).
bumperbee likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #1510
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the feedback.
Can't really remember but there were a few sellers (3 are the same shop) but I bought from another one that is the cheapest (by a few cents lol).

It was Lazada's anniversary so many shops that participated have vouchers ($11.50). If I remember correctly the $10.83 discount was discount from credit card so end up $52.85 (nett price with shipping).
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #1511

Can't really remember but there were a few sellers (3 are the same shop) but I bought from another one that is the cheapest (by a few cents lol).

It was Lazada's anniversary so many shops that participated have vouchers ($11.50). If I remember correctly the $10.83 discount was discount from credit card so end up $52.85 (nett price with shipping).
icIc... Glad u that you get at a good timing.
Seems like l have missed the boat.... Tanix TX5 max is selling at $89.5 at lazada ..more X than your original price of $75
Will see how the price trend go
Old 07-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #1512

The remote control of Beelink GT1 Mini is actually IR and USB two in one. It has the voice control function which I believe only works with the USB connection. So yes it does take one USB port if you want more functions. If not just use it as an IR remote.

Tanix remote is IR only and no voice control function.

Tanix TX5 Max box is of bigger size so it does have one more USB 2.0 port (1 x USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0) than Beelink GT 1 Mini (1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0)

Many users like those USB Air Mouse but personally I do not like them.

If you want to spend a bit more, a Bluetooth mouse/touchpad combo can be used, like Logitech K400 Plus.

Ref:
Thanks for the explanation on the beelink remote.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #1513

icIc... Glad u that you get at a good timing.
Seems like l have missed the boat.... Tanix TX5 max is selling at $89.5 at lazada ..more X than your original price of $75
Will see how the price trend go
Shopee has listings from S$72.68 to S$75 for the OEM version. Vouchers seem to be available as well.

Not so sure how good the shops are. All these listings have zero sales. I do not use Lwzada/Shopee/Qoo10 myself, I always tag along my wife's Taobao purchase.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #1514

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/04...ngles-netflix/

Pre-certified Google OTT Turnkey solution running Android TV OS, looks like Mi Box S again. Good thing is the support of Netflix 4K HDR and Chromecast function. Hopefully we will see more vendors than Xiaomi and Nvidia on official Android TV OS based streaming device.

I tend to think it will be the old S905X CPU (and not the old S905L CPU) since S905L lacks VP9 codec.

Not exciting at all as this is still old hardware. For dongle or stick format, they should consider the S905Y2 CPU (without Ethernet) or S905X2 CPU (with Ethernet). Single USB port is also too little. 8GB storage is another problem.

Basically the solution has all the shortcomings of Mi Box S.

On the other hand, not surprising as well.since the latest Google Android TV OS development platform Google ADT-2 has the same hardware specifications.

https://achillespen.com/google-adt-2...omplete-review

Probably good news for Mi Box S user that it will not be obsolete any time soon.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 07-04-2019 at 08:12 PM..
Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 PM   #1515

On the other hand, probably streaming boxes are not the focus. Smart TV and Game Console are probably more important, both are already not in Google's favor.

Samsung and LG will continue use their Tizen OS and Web OS respectively. They are working with Apple on the integration of Air Play 2 and iTunes.

Sony and Sharp and Philips are probably the main brand running official Android TV OS.

Chinese domestic market smart TV will run their own modified Android OS.

Chinese TV vendors selling in US, like TCL, seem to work with Roku more.

Ref: streaming device market share in US
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/...ket-share.aspx
Roku > Amazon > Apple > Google

This is probably unique to US market since Roku and Amazon Fire TV device are not as popular in other countries.

Smart TV OS Market Share, there are many different statistics. Here is one of them. I think it probably does not include Chinese domestic vendors.

https://www.iotgadgets.com/2017/12/t...v-market-year/

According to IHS data, the global smart TV market share was controlled by Samsung Electronics with 37.9%, followed by LG Electronics with 12.5% while Sony, Vizio, and Philips managed 8.4%, 5.9%, and 3.3% respectively.

Another one says Android is still the dominant. This may include the Chinese domestic vendors but they do not use Android TV OS but rather customized Android OS without Google services.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-system-share/
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 07-04-2019 at 09:46 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.