HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree459Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #1711

Hi looking for android app that has wwe channels vods and live streaming. Any app that can be support this?
Google Play Store has the official WWE app. You can try one month free as per the website.

https://www.wwe.com/wwenetwork
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #1712

I always want to try out Super Low End Box like the old H3 CPU based box which will struggle with 4K but should be good for 1080p.

I use Armbian Linux with my Orange Pi PC (H3 CPU, 1GB RAM) it works fine. However no luck with good Android image. Previously I tried H3Droid but it seems to be the old Android 4.4.

Then from an Orange Pi Facebook page, someone recommended the Sunvell R69 H3 rom running Android 7.1.2 for the Orange Pi PC and it seem to work perfectly (Google Play Market , Dangbei Market, Kodi 18, YouTube, etc).

Instruction:
Burns with phoenix card in startup mode. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjO...p7ulJLgKE/view

For reference quite some old box like UBox Gen 2 and Beelink X2 are using H3 CPU.

I wanted to buy Sunvell R69 2GB/16GB H3 Version last year from Taobao but the shop delivered the wrong RK3229 version to me. RK3229 is of course more powerful than H3.

I use Ethernet connection and USB wireless Keyboard/Mouse with this Orange Pi PC experiment.

I am not saying this is a good board to use though since Amlogic S905 Family is much better. But it is good to see old Low end Box can still be useful with right apps for your needs.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #1713
Master Member

I always want to try out Super Low End Box like the old H3 CPU based box which will struggle with 4K but should be good for 1080p.

I use Armbian Linux with my Orange Pi PC (H3 CPU, 1GB RAM) it works fine. However no luck with good Android image. Previously I tried H3Droid but it seems to be the old Android 4.4.

Then from an Orange Pi Facebook page, someone recommended the Sunvell R69 H3 rom running Android 7.1.2 for the Orange Pi PC and it seem to work perfectly.

Instruction:
Burns with phoenix card in startup mode. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjO...p7ulJLgKE/view

For reference quite some old box like UBox Gen 2 and Beelink X2 are using H3 CPU.

I wanted to buy Sunvell R69 2GB/16GB H3 Version last year from Taobao but the shop delivered the wrong RK3229 version to me. RK3229 is of course more powerful than H3.

I use Ethernet connection and USB wireless Keyboard/Mouse with this Orange Pi PC experiment.

I am not saying this is a good board to use though since Amlogic S905 Family is much better. But it is good to see old Low end Box can still be useful with right apps for your needs.
H3 is used on ubox3 and ubox4. As long as you disable playstore and play services, it performs quite well.

H3 supports hardware decoding for most of the china apps, better than AML and RK chips.

For Ubox3, although it is claimed as a 4k box, it is using a 720p kernel, most likely the FHD&4k are upscaled from 720p. You can see the info from kodi's system info page.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #1714

H3 is used on ubox3 and ubox4. As long as you disable playstore and play services, it performs quite well.

H3 supports hardware decoding for most of the china apps, better than AML and RK chips.

For Ubox3, although it is claimed as a 4k box, it is using a 720p kernel, most likely the FHD&4k are upscaled from 720p. You can see the info from kodi's system info page.
I think UBox 3 and 4 use a slightly better CPU than H3, they use H5.

Edit : you are right and I am wrong. UBox 3 and 4 are using H3, 1GB RAM, with Android 5.1.
http://www.unblocktech.com/en/ubox4/parameter

UPro and UPro 2 use H6, which is much more powerful but then they still keep using 1GB RAM.

Yes Kodi only works with 720p for this H3 board. YouTube TV version seems to be fine with 1080p.

I will check out more later to see whether it makes a big difference to disable Google Play Store and Play Services.

I have another junk box based on S905L and with 1GB RAM but that is the same class CPU as S905X so it is really more powerful than H3. That China Mobile OTT Box also has fast dual band WiFi. The issue there is the old Android 4.4 and no Google Play Store, which makes it pretty responsive but only good for Chinese Entertainment.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 03:44 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #1715

Mi store selling mi box s
bumperbee likes this.
mankind66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #1716

Mi store selling mi box s
Nice that they finally bring Mi Box S in.

The price at S$109 is not attractive though.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #1717

(Ask) Looking for a recommended Android TV Box

Dear all,

I'm looking to buy an android TV box to replace my starhub cable TV which I'll terminate soon.

May I know what is the good brand of Android TV box with the budget max $70 (slightly higher than $70 is ok).

I saw xiaomi mi box S sold in Shopee and Lazada from China. Will it work in SG?
Any other brand beside xiaomi which I should consider to buy?

Can we watch VVDrama channel from android tv box? My wife is a fan of this channel at starhub so I try to find an app for her to continue the VVDrama TV series.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
jonatan1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #1718

Dear all,

I'm looking to buy an android TV box to replace my starhub cable TV which I'll terminate soon.

May I know what is the good brand of Android TV box with the budget max $70 (slightly higher than $70 is ok).

I saw xiaomi mi box S sold in Shopee and Lazada from China. Will it work in SG?
Any other brand beside xiaomi which I should consider to buy?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Mi Box S is a good buy. Whether it can replace your StarHub TV is another story, all depends what you want and how much you want to pay for the alternative solutions.

Read Page 94 for more options but Mi Box S should be the first choice for boxes.

Also read here on how some of the people cut StarHub. The main reason a few of them are able to cut StarHub is because of TVBAnywhere+ is now available on Android TV OS device like Mi Box S. Then there are alternative streaming solutions like SingTel Cast, StarHub Go, Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon Prime Video, Fox+, Hooq, Viu, etc.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...92737-150.html
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #1719

@xiaofan,

Do you think this will come out soon or just hot air?
http://ugoos.net/blog/AM6_pre-release

I have an old Minix U8 and it had serve me very well. I just have itchy fingers and wanting to try the latest box out there.

Last, do you know off any Andriod TV box that can record playing on the app? Say i am watching football on an app. Is there such a app/TV box that can record that football match?
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by angy; 04-05-2019 at 04:36 PM..
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #1720

@xiaofan,

Do you think this will come out soon or just hot air?
http://ugoos.net/blog/AM6_pre-release

I have an old Minix U8 and it had serve me very well. I just have itchy fingers and wanting to try the latest box out there.

Last, do you know off any Andriod TV box that can record playing on the app? Say i am watching football on an app. Is there such a app/TV box that can record that football match?
Amlogic S922X hexa-core (4*A73 + 2*A53) boxes are on the way. First one is Beelink GT1-K (GT1-King). S922X is Amlogic Solution to compete with RK3399 hexa-core (2*A72+4*A53) CPU.

I do not think the S922X boxes will be popular because the cost will be high. RK3399 boxes are usually above S$120 with 4GB/32GB or 4GB/64GB configurations and they do not offer real benefits for the main use case of streaming application for Android TV boxes. A few reviewers like RK3399 boxes for the smoothness of the operation and for large Kodi build or better gaming. That would apply to S922X boxes.

Edit to add:
There are boxes which claim can record on the fly like the generic A95X S905X2 box which has a HDD caddy. But in reality it is using screen recording. I believe there are apps which can do this from Google Play Store but I have not tried it. Performance will not be good. You can try them.

Reviewers typically use TV Capture Card on the computer.

If you need to record, potential solution is to use TV capture card on PC/Mac.

On Android TV Box side, Zidoo boxes can be an alternative— they have HDMI IN. So you can use your Minix U8 Box as the source and then use the Zidoo Box to record. Lowest end is Zidoo X9S.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM   #1721

Amlogic S922X hexa-core (4*A73 + 2*A53) boxes are on the way. First one is Beelink GT1-K (GT1-King). S922X is Amlogic Solution to compete with RK3399 hexa-core (2*A72+4*A53) CPU.

I do not think the S922X boxes will be popular because the cost will be high. RK3399 boxes are usually above S$120 with 4GB/32GB or 4GB/64GB configurations and they do not offer real benefits for the main use case of streaming application for Android TV boxes. A few reviewers like RK3399 boxes for the smoothness of the operation and for large Kodi build or better gaming. That would apply to S922X boxes.
thanks for the reply. I still remember when U8 first came out, I paid a "bomb" for it. But, it is a very stable box. No problems at all.

By the way, any idea about my last request about recording?
bumperbee likes this.
angy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #1722

thanks for the reply. I still remember when U8 first came out, I paid a "bomb" for it. But, it is a very stable box. No problems at all.

By the way, any idea about my last request about recording?
S922X Box should be good if you are willing to pay. Just wait for a while to see how are the reviews. Beelink is probably a better brand than Ugoos.

Reviews are on the way.
https://androidpctv.com/amlogic-s922x-benchmark/
https://androidpctv.com/beelink-gt1-king-amlogic-s922x/

Please refer to my edited answer above for the recording questions.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-05-2019 at 05:03 PM..
Old 04-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #1723

Update my previous post.

5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS whch supports Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. You can load other apps as well with some exceptions like Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere SG. But you can use Starhub Go on the mobile and cast to TV.
HI,

I just read your post in page 94 of this thread and it mentioned that TVB Anywhere SG can't be loaded in Mi Box S. Is it true?
Is TVB Anywhere SG same as TVB Anywhere+ ?

Asking this question to you because I'm considering to buy Mi Box S for my wife who is a fan of TVB drama series.

Thanks.
jonatan1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #1724

HI,

I just read your post in page 94 of this thread and it mentioned that TVB Anywhere SG can't be loaded in Mi Box S. Is it true?
Is TVB Anywhere SG same as TVB Anywhere+ ?

Asking this question to you because I'm considering to buy Mi Box S for my wife who is a fan of TVB drama series.

Thanks.
I will update that one. TVB has replaced TVB Anywhere SG with TVBAnywhere+ now.

The new TVBAnywhere+ app can be installed on Mi Box S. No live TV though.

Download of the TV version apk is here.
https://plus.tvbanywhere.com
bumperbee likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #1725

Anyone has any feedback on the AC Ryan 4k Ultra?

Recontracting my m1 fibre, so considering the topup for the box:
https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/BUNDL...HTS/FibreTopUp

I have a samsung smart tv (not android os) for youtube, so mainly will be using for free drama and movie apps instead of subscribing to netflix.
bumperbee likes this.
gnooliew is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.