HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #1816

Anyone has both a TV box and a chromecast? which is better?

If TV box, what are the "must have" apps? Apart from Netflix and YouTube and Spotify I guess.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT
I have both Chromecast (old 1st generation) and quite a few generic TV boxes. Both are useful.

You can buy Mi Box S which has built-in Chromecast 4k function. That is the best value box you can get for under S$100.

As for the must have apps, it all depends on your needs. For example I do not need Netflix and I do not need Spotify. I use YouTube, Youku (paid the VIP) and QQ Music (paid the VIP), because I am more into Chinese Entertainment.

Last edited by xiaofan; 10-05-2019 at 06:51 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #1817
Arch-Supremacy Member

Guys - I’m a newbie in Android TV boxes. I was thinking of getting the Mi Box S since it’s got Chromecast built in & it’s 4k. Can I check if I am able to install APKs that can’t be found on Google Playstore on the Mi Box? TIA.
gkhchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #1818

Guys - I’m a newbie in Android TV boxes. I was thinking of getting the Mi Box S since it’s got Chromecast built in & it’s 4k. Can I check if I am able to install APKs that can’t be found on Google Playstore on the Mi Box? TIA.
Yes you can with some exception. Please refer to the answer to the same question in the Mi Box thread.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...537957-45.html
Old 11-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #1819

hey guys

can point me in the right direction for my case?

- HDMI output (dont need 4k)
- not interested in streaming apps or gaming
- only for movie or tv episode files (1080p or 2160p)
- either onboard or external storage (USB hdd?)
- some form of remote controller option (usb wireless remote?)

I experimented with LocalCast and chromecast (streaming the file directly from folder in g drive to the chromecast). Results werent good.

also read that nvidia's shield is a good choice for this. but i'm wondering if it's overkill?

tia
floodgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #1820

hey guys

I experimented with LocalCast and chromecast (streaming the file directly from folder in g drive to the chromecast). Results werent good.

also read that nvidia's shield is a good choice for this. but i'm wondering if it's overkill?

tia
Nvidia Shield is a very good option. You will not regret. Who knows that you may go into 4K or streaming apps like Netflix or SingTel Cast or things like that in the future?

That being said, since you already have Chromecast, you can also consider cheaper box like Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max. Both have the S905X2 CPU and both can handle most of the file format for 4k. Between the two, Beelink is a more well known brand and has a better remote. Tanix is cheaper.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx5-max/

Last edited by xiaofan; 11-05-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #1821
Master Member

hey guys

tia
Why don't need 4k yet want to play 2160p file? Isn't 4k the same as 2160p?

Chromecast should be good enough. Are you sure you are using it with the correct method ? I suspect that you are using mirrorring, not chromecasting.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 11-05-2019 at 10:07 PM..
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #1822

thanks i'll check both out.
remote might be a deciding factor. it's for my parents. they're not that great at dealing with more complicated interfaces.

Nvidia Shield is a very good option. You will not regret. Who knows that you may go into 4K or streaming apps like Netflix or SingTel Cast or things like that in the future?

That being said, since you already have Chromecast, you can also consider cheaper box like Beelink GT1 Mini or Tanix TX5 Max. Both have the S905X2 CPU and both can handle most of the file format for 4k. Between the two, Beelink is a more well known brand and has a better remote. Tanix is cheaper.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

https://androidpctv.com/review-tanix-tx5-max/
Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 PM   #1823

Why don't need 4k yet want to play 2160p file? Isn't 4k the same as 2160p?

Chromecast should be good enough. Are you sure you are using it with the correct method ? I suspect that you are using mirrorring, not chromecasting.
4k:
the TV is only 1080p, but movies sometimes come in higher res.
if the player can handle higher res, then don't need to purposely look for 1080p versions to put in this box.

chromecast:
i THINK i was doing it as correctly as i could have. definitely not mirroring.
it worked for some files.

movie in gdrive folder > install LocalCast on phone > access gdrive folder from LocalCast > send to chromcast

It's nice when it worked:
- convenience of streaming,
- fine control over what is in the folder

Would have been ideal. I can easily and remotely "pass" movies / episodes to my parents who are not so savvy with devices / computers.

But even when files worked, sometimes LocalCast would stop indicating that the file is playing.

On another set of videos, the file wouldn't play at all. Not sure if it was codec or because it was multi-audio. I also tried AllCast. Can't remember how it wasn't great.

Since i need to give remote tech support, i think i need something idiotproof.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #1824
Master Member

4k:
the TV is only 1080p, but movies sometimes come in higher res.
if the player can handle higher res, then don't need to purposely look for 1080p versions to put in this box.

chromecast:
i THINK i was doing it as correctly as i could have. definitely not mirroring.
it worked for some files.

movie in gdrive folder > install LocalCast on phone > access gdrive folder from LocalCast > send to chromcast

It's nice when it worked:
- convenience of streaming,
- fine control over what is in the folder

Would have been ideal. I can easily and remotely "pass" movies / episodes to my parents who are not so savvy with devices / computers.

But even when files worked, sometimes LocalCast would stop indicating that the file is playing.

On another set of videos, the file wouldn't play at all. Not sure if it was codec or because it was multi-audio. I also tried AllCast. Can't remember how it wasn't great.

Since i need to give remote tech support, i think i need something idiotproof.
Your requirements are easily met by a standard android box. No need for chromecast.

I suggest "mibox s".

You need only 2 apps. Es file explorer to read the files from gdrive or usb hdd. Mx player to play the files.

Mibox s comes with a very good bluetooth remote control.

Most of the modern box can read 4k file and down scale to 1080p. But I dont recommend to stream over internet unless you have very good throughput fron the file server to your house. 4k youtube and netflix are ok for 4k due to use of CDN.

Last edited by gregory_choo; 11-05-2019 at 11:51 PM..
Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 AM   #1825

actually i was checking out beelink like xiaofan recommended and i thought that was pretty good choice.

You need only 2 apps. Es file explorer to read the files from gdrive or usb hdd. Mx player to play the files.
does this method require downloading the whole file to local storage before you can play it?
so that means an external hdd ($) i guess.
if no external storage, i suppose have to download and open every time you watch something? too demanding for my oldies.

I think i'll go with the beelink (got onboard 64gig)

thanks!
Old 12-05-2019, 01:56 AM   #1826
Master Member

actually i was checking out beelink like xiaofan recommended and i thought that was pretty good choice.

does this method require downloading the whole file to local storage before you can play it?
so that means an external hdd ($) i guess.
if no external storage, i suppose have to download and open every time you watch something? too demanding for my oldies.

I think i'll go with the beelink (got onboard 64gig)

thanks!
You can stream from gdrive directly, don't have to download.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:28 AM   #1827

Flash Android box

Hi anyone know how to flash h96 max x2? I understand need image file.. I have not try flashing... anyone done it b4 can guide me in case i failed...
Shawncck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #1828

Hi anyone know how to flash h96 max x2? I understand need image file.. I have not try flashing... anyone done it b4 can guide me in case i failed...
Why do you want to flash new FW? Usually you use OTA if OTA is available. If not just stick to the stock FW for this type of generic boxes.

Unless you are saying the box somehow has broken FW and you need to recover. Or are you trying to use some 3rd party ROM?

The issue with H96 Series generic box is that you may have different HW revisions and the FW may not be compatible between the different revisions even it is from the same manufacturer. In fact it may be from different manufacturers.

The flashing itself may not be difficult. The issue is you need to find the correct stock FW once you failed.

Read the warnings in the following site before proceeding.

https://androidpctv.com/firmware-upd...x-soc-amlogic/

For my generic boxes, to be honest, the only time I needed to flash the FW was for the first box and it is because I made a mistake to install SuperSU for the X96 Mini. After that I only do OTA for this box.

For my H96 Pro+ Amlogic S912 box there was no new FW available either from OTA or from various website. Same for the R69 RK3229 box. The stock Android 7.1 FW works well for both boxes anyway.

For my H96 Max+, there are no OTA but there are many newer FW around the web, I chose not to update since the stock Android 7.1 FW works well.

For my Tanix TX6 Android 9 box, there are frequent OTA to sort out various issues and I follow the OTA.

For my Tanix TX5 Max Android 8.1 box, so far no OTA but it works well so I do not bother with one update floating around the web.

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-05-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Old 12-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #1829

The above site has good warnings.
! ATTENTION !
If the TV Box works well for our needs DO NOT UPDATE

If we don’t know what we are doing DO NOT UPDATE

If our TV-Box don’t work and does’t have reset button DO NOT TRY TO UPDATE , claim to the store.

There are many TV-Boxes especially the cheap ones that are copies called ” clones ” that are incompatible with the official roms of the original models and can leave useless our TV Box or do not work the WIFI. It is impossible to know if we have a clone or not without opening the device and comparing it with another original. We recommend buying devices in the stores we recommend and if possible only known models from trusted brands.

If you do not find firmware for your model you may not have any brand support.

Last edited by xiaofan; 12-05-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #1830

You can read freaktab forum. Many people flashing, all using firmware from other manufacturer like beelink. They recommend good usb cable

mankind66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.