HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree460Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #1936

This is very good lobang. many thanks for the link...will check it out.
Yes it is a good lobang. Even though I do not really need Mi Box S (not into Netflix, got my own Chromecast, not into 4K), it is still tempting to get it.

But then my wife told me not to buy any TV boxes because I already have 7 of them.

So okay I told her not to buy any more boxes this year...
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #1937

FW upgrade and FW recovery guide from Androudpctv website, only for reference for tech savvy users. Not for those inexperienced users.

Amlogic CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-upd...x-soc-amlogic/

Rockchip CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-upd...-rockchip-soc/

Allwinner CPU based box
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-upd...allwinner-soc/

So far I have used the recovery method for Amlogic, for my X96 Mini S905W based box.

Then I also find another problem with Tanix TX5 Max, the recovery button is not accessible without opening the box. Not a problem for most of the people though.

Last edited by xiaofan; 16-05-2019 at 10:47 PM..
Old 16-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #1938

The point is installation of supersu.apk or superuser.apk will not brick the box, just remember not to update binary when prompted.

I can use superuser app to unroot the box easily. But not sure about this box as i dont have one with me at the moment.

It is very risky if the box can grant access to all apps without asking.
After I recovered my X96 Mini, I installed SuperSu from PlayStore again. And when it does prompt to upgrade the binary, I choose no. I also give up on the unroot hope.

At least it starts to prompt me when there is a root access (tested with Es File Explorer).

Thanks for the advice.

I will try this on other boxes over the weekend.
Old 17-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #1939
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes it is a good lobang. Even though I do not really need Mi Box S (not into Netflix, got my own Chromecast, not into 4K), it is still tempting to get it.

But then my wife told me not to buy any TV boxes because I already have 7 of them.

This box has no preloaded app?
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #1940

This box has no preloaded app?
No. It is certified by Google and Netflix. You get Netflix 4k, YouTube 4k and Chromecast 4k.

Preloaded boxes in Singapore, sold in Sim Limited Square, Shopping Centres and Facebook Groups, are not recommended in general.
Old 17-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #1941

My fingers not fast enough. it's fully redeemed...
tek888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 07:28 PM   #1942

For Tanix TX6 owners only, today I tried two things on the box. One is successful and the other one failed.

1) Use a USB fan to blow the air from the side ventilation holes, very effective to bring the temperature down from 85-90 degree C (today is a hot day) to 65-70 degree C.

Probably I want to open the top cover and secure the fan on top.

2) Tried the previous OTA and they were successful. Today tried the new OTA which is supposed to fix the notification bar issues but it failed. Not so sure if this has anything to do with the fact that I am using an OEM version (without Tanix logo).

From Tanix Facebook page:

FIRMWARE Update: TANIX TX6 update by OTA. In order to get the v20190508, open the pre-installed "UPDATE" APP and check for online updates.

Tanix TX6 overview: http://www.tanix-box.com/project-vie...i-6k-alice-ux/

Change log:

1. Make status bar and notification window interactive.
2. Fixed bug about external camera not working
The OTA problem has been resolved. Look like Magisk Manager messed up the bootloader and that is why OTA updates failed.

Anyway, I use Phoenix Card to burn an official ROM from Tanix website (email address required), then I am able to carry out the OTA.

The Phoenix Suite and Phoenix USB Pro failed this time due to USB driver recognition problem for my Windows 10 laptop.

Ha-ha, now I learned the recovery for both Amlogic CPU based box and Allwinner CPU based box.
Old 17-05-2019, 09:23 PM   #1943

The OTA problem has been resolved. Look like Magisk Manager messed up the bootloader and that is why OTA updates failed.

Anyway, I use Phoenix Card to burn an official ROM from Tanix website (email address required), then I am able to carry out the OTA.

The Phoenix Suite and Phoenix USB Pro failed this time due to USB driver recognition problem for my Windows 10 laptop.

Ha-ha, now I learned the recovery for both Amlogic CPU based box and Allwinner CPU based box.
Hmm, do not upgrade to the latest 20190508 version. Now I got no sound problem. One user in Facebook reported the same problem.

Now need to troubleshoot the sound problem and may need to flash the firmware again...

All in all, this Tanix TX6 is really problematic.

Opened the box and I feel the thermal design is not correctly done which causes the overheating problem. They have a small heat sink on top of the CPU and then connect to a bigger heat sink on the bottom through a small piece of thermal grease cube.
Old 18-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #1944

Hmm, do not upgrade to the latest 20190508 version. Now I got no sound problem. One user in Facebook reported the same problem.

Now need to troubleshoot the sound problem and may need to flash the firmware again...

All in all, this Tanix TX6 is really problematic.

Opened the box and I feel the thermal design is not correctly done which causes the overheating problem. They have a small heat sink on top of the CPU and then connect to a bigger heat sink on the bottom through a small piece of thermal grease cube.
Okay the sound issue goes away after reboot. I can get Audio from HDMI again.

But others are having problems with SPDIF output.

Using a USB fan to blow wind through the side brings down the temperature to about 55 - 65 degree C which is reasonable. So it is recommended to use TX6 with a fan.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-05-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Old 18-05-2019, 09:22 AM   #1945

Is there a way to remove Play Store nd Chrome icons from Home Screen? I can only add three of my own apps to home screen and they would be used more.....also better not to confuse family.
As for Alice UX, I am not a fan but you can add multiple apps to the home screen, just that you need to scroll through the icons using the remote or air mouse. You can also add a few apps in the setting section as well.

BTW, the left of the screen will also show the recently used apps.
Forget to mention that you can update the big icon on Alice UX as well. Use direction button on the remote to navigate to the big icon you want to change, press the menu icon (the icon above "2", with 3 lines, in between home button and return button), then you are able to select any app you like.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-05-2019 at 09:25 AM..
Old 18-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #1946

After I recovered my X96 Mini, I installed SuperSu from PlayStore again. And when it does prompt to upgrade the binary, I choose no. I also give up on the unroot hope.

At least it starts to prompt me when there is a root access (tested with Es File Explorer).

Thanks for the advice.

I will try this on other boxes over the weekend.
I got six rooted boxes.

SuperSu works for the X96 Mini, R69 RK3229 box and H96 Pro+, all running Android 7.1, in terms of being able to manage the app root access. SuperSu will prompt the binary upgrade and need to choose no in order not to brick the box.

The other box which has already SuperUser app (not SuperSU) installed to manage root access is the H96 Max+ RK3328 box running Android 7.1.

SuperSu does not work with Tanix TX6 Android 9 and TX5 Max Android 8.1 to manage root access. No prompt of upgrade, just say the su binary is occupied. It may well be a problem with Tanix since they seem to put some protection based on some web info.

Last edited by xiaofan; 19-05-2019 at 02:22 PM..
Old 18-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #1947

See no point in using Android TV box anymore as most of the apps I used to watch fantastic Movies are now either block or shutdown. Cannot access anymore ! 👎🤬😵
rockyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #1948
Master Member

See no point in using Android TV box anymore as most of the apps I used to watch fantastic Movies are now either block or shutdown. Cannot access anymore ! 👎🤬😵
Why most of the apps I am using are still working?
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #1949

SuperSu does not work with Tanix TX6 Android 9 and TX5 Max Android 8.1 to manage root access. No prompt of upgrade, just say the su binary is occupied. It may well be a problem with Tanix since they seem to put some protection based on some web info.
SuperSu does seem to work when I use the full unroot option for Tanix TX5 Max. It does not brick the box and it indeed remove the su binary.

Afte reboot, Aida64 and CPU-Z, and ES File Explorer all report that the box is not rooted.

Strangely SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go still claim that the box is rooted and exit. Guess that they have other mechanism.

SuperSU does not work on Tanix TX6.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-05-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Old 18-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #1950

SuperSU does not work on Tanix TX6.
Now that I have a recovery Micro SD card in hand, I can try dangerous move as well. So I use Es File Explorer (enable root explorer and choose mount R/W ) and manually delete the su binary and two other su related files in system/xbin directory.

However this does not seem to work. The box will be stuck in the boot animation. So I have to recover the box again. Recover is really fast though.

BTW all the website has similar unroot instructions.
https://androidpctv.com/tutorial-how...e-easy-unroot/

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-05-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.