Android TV Box

eauyong

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Yes the mibox lacks a lot of ports. No microSD, ethernet and only 1 usb. Any other suggestion besides the expensive Nvidia.

Besides the two mentioned S905X3 boxes at about S$50, you can spend a bit (much) more for a Amlogic based S922X box but half the price of Nvidia Shield.

The Beelink GT King TV Box Android 9.0 Amlogic S922X Hexa-core G52 MP6 Graphics 4GB LPDDR4 64GB ROM 5.8G WiFi Bluetooth 4.1 4K at US$100 or S$140.00 would be the compromised box of the cheap and ex.

The antutu score is a very impressive 109k. but still no way near the Shield (Quad Tegra cpu) at 238k. score. For a TV box, the Shield is definitely overkill to the extreme unless you play heavy games. Bear in mind Xiaomi mibox S (S905X cpu) with antutu score of 34k will do fine in the first place.

osmond19

Reaction score
Besides the two mentioned S905X3 boxes at about S$50, you can spend a bit (much) more for a Amlogic based S922X box but half the price of Nvidia Shield.

The Beelink GT King TV Box Android 9.0 Amlogic S922X Hexa-core G52 MP6 Graphics 4GB LPDDR4 64GB ROM 5.8G WiFi Bluetooth 4.1 4K at US$100 or S$140.00 would be the compromised box of the cheap and ex.

The antutu score is a very impressive 109k. but still no way near the Shield (Quad Tegra cpu) at 238k. score. For a TV box, the Shield is definitely overkill to the extreme unless you play heavy games. Bear in mind Xiaomi mibox S (S905X cpu) with antutu score of 34k will do fine in the first place.
No matter how expensive all these chinese box, it doesn't come with Widevine L1 and no UHD for Netflix and Prime Video. I think it is not about the cost of getting the license but Google refused to issue the license to them cos of the risk of piracy.
Unless u gotta gaming using the tv box if not i really dun see the reason to spend more than $50 on a chinese tv box cos most of those chinese app that streams aren't FHD contents as well, most of them are not even 720p. If u can find one that stream smoothly FHD u are in luck.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No matter how expensive all these chinese box, it doesn't come with Widevine L1 and no UHD for Netflix and Prime Video. I think it is not about the cost of getting the license but Google refused to issue the license to them cos of the risk of piracy.
Unless u gotta gaming using the tv box if not i really dun see the reason to spend more than $50 on a chinese tv box cos most of those chinese app that streams aren't FHD contents as well, most of them are not even 720p. If u can find one that stream smoothly FHD u are in luck.

FHD chinese app are quite common, and having good streaming speed too. I have a list of them.

I agreed that for watch streaming video, we don't have to spend more than $50, and it is not necessary to go for high spec, because the S905 chipset developed about 3 years ago already has the power to handle video task adaquately, even for the next 3-5 years.

For video streaming, boxes with 2GB RAM and S905 chipset already can serve very well, of course, if you don't mind spending a few dollars more, can consider S905x2 or S905x3, they will make navigation between apps faster (i.e quit one app and launch another app). RAM higher than 2GB don't give any noticable benefit for video app, but is needed if you want to play game on tv box.

If you don't mind pay about $70-80, get a mibox s.

mibox s is a china box, one class of its own - Widevine L1, UHD for Netflix and Prime Video , chromecast built-in.. - certified by google, netflix, prime video, disney... and more

hardware wise, s905x, 2gb ram, 8gb internal storage, high speed wifi.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no harm to try.

by the way, the server for the stable version is up now with good speed.

The speed for stable version is worse for me, now barely 10 seconds download d/c already.

It's ok, I'll hang on till the connection becomes good, thanks.

osmond19

Reaction score
FHD chinese app are quite common, and having good streaming speed too. I have a list of them.

I agreed that for watch streaming video, we don't have to spend more than $50, and it is not necessary to go for high spec, because the S905 chipset developed about 3 years ago already has the power to handle video task adaquately, even for the next 3-5 years.

For video streaming, boxes with 2GB RAM and S905 chipset already can serve very well, of course, if you don't mind spending a few dollars more, can consider S905x2 or S905x3, they will make navigation between apps faster (i.e quit one app and launch another app). RAM higher than 2GB don't give any noticable benefit for video app, but is needed if you want to play game on tv box.

If you don't mind pay about $70-80, get a mibox s.

mibox s is a china box, one class of its own - Widevine L1, UHD for Netflix and Prime Video , chromecast built-in.. - certified by google, netflix, prime video, disney... and more

hardware wise, s905x, 2gb ram, 8gb internal storage, high speed wifi.
There are FHD chinese app but it keeps buffering at time. Using Kubo99 but these days their TVB drama hardly have 720p most 480p only. Even Azdrama the resolution quite low as well. So far havent see any UHD for streaming.

I have a s905 and 1gb ram box but luckily i saw the FB post that you all created by disable all the useless google services if not that box cos of the low ram will not even be able to load any app. so far still can work for streaming from chinese app and Smart Youtube TV also good can force it to FHD 25 frame.

Actually, imho, these days most ppl will have some form of smart TV with built in Netflix. Use that to watch Netflix with FHD or even UHD cos they are certified ones. TCL ones come with Android TV OS with UHD Netflix n youtube 4K but Android TV OS is different from ASOP Android that comes in those china box so some of the Android mobile apps will not work. So buy those $50 S905x3 box to run those chinese mobile app and u can enjoy both Netflix at UHD and still able to run streaming mobile app on chinese box.

I wanted to buy mibox s initially too but due to high cost and knowing it can't 100% run those chinese mobile app, i gave up the idea. my first Android TV OS was that Logitech Revue many many years ago and that time it already can't run those Android mobile app 100% and very very limited available app from the store.

Mankul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need quick advice.

Im currently using minix U9H for my kitchen 32" TV and my main use is loading Toggle for local TV and playing video files over my home network.

All has benn good except for one issue. The Toggle App usually is a pain tonload. May take more than 20 secs cos of hang etc. Only this Toggle app is giving me problems. I want a snappier experience. Click, app load, channel loaded.

It seems to suggest that the cpu, ram may not be enough.

Two options:
1) Nvidia Shield
2) Beelink GT King pro

Am I right to say that even if the shield is the most powerful, but out of the box, it doesn have access to Google Play and install apps from Google Play like Android Phones. Unless I root it and flash another

I would love to load Facebook and play videos from Chrome Browser on some websites.
Seems like TV boxes always have problem surfing internet browsers, ie not enough processing power and ram.

My inclination is towards the GTKing Pro.

What do u all think?

Thanks in advance.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need quick advice.

Im currently using minix U9H for my kitchen 32" TV and my main use is loading Toggle for local TV and playing video files over my home network.

All has benn good except for one issue. The Toggle App usually is a pain tonload. May take more than 20 secs cos of hang etc. Only this Toggle app is giving me problems. I want a snappier experience. Click, app load, channel loaded.

It seems to suggest that the cpu, ram may not be enough.

Two options:
1) Nvidia Shield
2) Beelink GT King pro

Am I right to say that even if the shield is the most powerful, but out of the box, it doesn have access to Google Play and install apps from Google Play like Android Phones. Unless I root it and flash another

I would love to load Facebook and play videos from Chrome Browser on some websites.
Seems like TV boxes always have problem surfing internet browsers, ie not enough processing power and ram.

My inclination is towards the GTKing Pro.

What do u all think?

Thanks in advance.

[It seems to suggest that the cpu, ram may not be enough.]

U9H has a power S912Chip, 2GB/16DB memory

[Am I right to say that even if the shield is the most powerful, but out of the box, it doesn have access to Google Play]

Wrong, shield has google playstore built-in.

[Unless I root it and flash another]

Many people will call you grandmaster if you are able to root it and flash another firmware.

====

May be a tablet is better for you based on what you wrote.

=========

or a cheap good box such as mibox s, or a expensive box like shield tv, in terms of features/functions, they are almost the same, especially when the tv is only 32"

mibox s is using S905x, lower spec compared to U9h, it has chromecast built-in, and toogle is designed to work with chromecast. You can use toogle on handphone to select video then chromecast to your tv via mibox.

TV box is for watching video, not for surfing, so try not to load chrome or other browser on TV box, of course it can be done, but you won't feel good using it.

If you want to watch video from chrome/facebook, do the same thing, use your browser /fb app on your handphone, then chromecast the video to mibox.

But most tv box users are not using website for video, because there are other better ways.

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Notable streaming apps available from the built-in Google Play store on Mi Box S.

Netflix, YouTube, Google Play Movie and Video, Singtel TV Go, SingTel Cast, Viu, Hooq, Fox+, Rakuten Viki, Twitch, YuppTV, Plex, Kodi, etc

Google Play Music, Spotify, Tidal, KKbox, etc

++++++++++
China version of TV apps can be downloaded from Dangbei Market or Shafa Market.

++++++++++
Notable apps missing from the store and workaround.

Starhub Go, casting from phone

HBO Go, casting from phone

Toggle, casting from phone

Amazon Prime Video, wait for the app to be available

Disney+, wait for the services to be available

++++++++++
More info for video streaming options in Singapore

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/entertainment/video-streaming-netflix-subscription-fees/

Are all these streaming apps available in all the built-in Google Playstores of any android tv box?

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I wanna get a tv box just for watching movies n music videos n live tv channels... which of these 3 tv boxes should I get? Any input u guys might have is welcome... :s12::s12::s12:

- KM8P (Amlogic S912/octa-core ARM Mali-T820/2GB+16GB/Android 7.1)

- HK1 Mini (RK3229/quad-core cortex-A53/2GB+16GB/Android 9.0)

- X96 Max+ (Amlogic S905X3/quad-core cortex-A55/2GB+16GB/Android 9.0)

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I wanna get a tv box just for watching movies n music videos n live tv channels... which of these 3 tv boxes should I get? Any input u guys might have is welcome... :s12::s12::s12:

mibox s

cheap and good

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

One in bold.

zensushi

Reaction score
Hi hi!

I'm just looking for a simple media player to play my the videos files off my external USB HDD...

The remote control for my ACRyan PlayOn HD Mini 3 Media Player stopped working, so I need a replacement media player.

Bought a Philips Android box. Cannot get the MKV files to play with sound. :( :sad:

Any recommendations, please?

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.