Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering to get a preloaded box as well mainly becuz its for the older folks as an inexpensive replacement for starhub..

I tried installing various chinese apps for a generic box before (a while ago) but it ended up too complex and time consuming to troubleshoot when the old folks have problems with it..

Which chinese apps would you recommend which are stable?

Pardon me if there is already a list available.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

You can refer to the above.

Recommendation for old folks. In terms of ease of use, from easy to more difficult.

1) Starhub or SingTel Fibre TV is still the easier option.

2) SingTel Cast (install on Mi Box S) or Starhub Go (cast from mobile phone, through Chromecast function of Mi Box S).

3) TVBAnywhere+ on Mi Box S

4) WeTV and iQiyi international version, with Mi Box S, both apps are available on Mi Box S

5) Youku TV version with VIP subscription

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This one is a low end 1GB version with 1080p only. In this case, Mi Box S is not yet obsolete as it supports 4K.

https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-tv-stick-mi-band-5-truly-wireless-earbuds-europe/

The Mi Stick TV is a small dongle with a quad-core CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 8GB of internal storage. As we saw with the product listing, this model supports 1080p video output and Dolby and DTS surround sound. It runs Android TV based on Android Pie. Xiaomi is pricing the stick at just €39.99 (~$50) in Europe, which is considerably cheaper than similar products on the market.

Last edited:

darr

Reaction score
Any there any difference getting Android boxes from taobao and those "international" ones from banggood, gearbest, everbuying...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any there any difference getting Android boxes from taobao and those "international" ones from banggood, gearbest, everbuying...

There are not many sellers in Taobao selling international version, so you need to be careful. Most of them are selling China version without Google Play Store.

If you are not familiar with Android TV boxes, it is recommended that you buy from local online shops like Lazada or Shopee, especially when they have offers.

For example, if you buy Mi Box S, then the best source is actually local online shops, cheaper and hassle free. I bought my Mi Box S from Lazada.

If you want to buy brands like original Tanix, then Gearbest is the best place to go, as local online shops usually sell OEM version without Tanix logo, same for Taobao, the quality may not be consistent. I bought two OEM Tanix boxes from Taobao, one is TX5 Max S905X2 box which is pretty good. The other is a TX6 H6 box which is very bad and now dead due to power supply failure.

For Beelink, then there are no OEM version, so you can buy from different places depending on price and warranty.

In general you do not want to buy from Taobao unless you are very familiar with Android TV boxes. If you really want to try Taobao, make sure you buy the so called 外贸盒子 which are international version. Alternative to Taobao is Aliexpress, which usually sells international version.

Last edited:

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. Google services

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would mi TV stick be better or generic s905x3 boxes be better. Because of performance I stayed off mi TV s.

Mi TV Stick is new so I do not know the CPU. The 1GB RAM is also a potential problem. It is probably okay for 1080p streaming but not good at more demanding tasks.

Mi Box S is actually a very good box with S905X CPU and 2GB RAM. The main advantage is the certified Google Android TV OS and Netflix certification -- native Netflix 4K support and Chromecast function and the support of apps like SingTel Cast and TVBAnywhere+. The other advantage is the brand -- good HW build quality and long term FW support. The S905X CPU is just nice for streaming. But it may come a bit short if you are more into high bit rate 4k media playing (high bit rate 4k 60fps media playing, eg, Blu-ray rip).

It is said that there is a 2GB RAM version of Mi TV Stick with S905X3 CPU, that will make it better than Mi Box S.

If you do not need Netflix HD support, but you would like Chromecast support, then Google certified Android TV OS Boxes with S905X2/S905X3 CPU will be a good choice as well. For example Minix Neo T5 can be considered as a very good box with S905X2 CPU and good branding. Mecool KM1 can be considered as well with S905X3 CPU.

If you do not need Netflix HD and Chromecast support, then generic S905X2/S905X3 box are okay. You may want to consider better brand like Beelink and Ugoos.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to get this price? Now like she 47.32
Thinking buy n mod extra heatsink for cooling.

Not so sure. I think it is as US$32.99.

S$57.36 listed.
S$ 10.04 off, use NEWMITVSTICK coupon code
New user S$4.30 off.

Net price S$42.72.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I not new user. Hmmmm. No experience with Android TV. Can side load existing apk?

TimsTom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried using Android box as game console or KTV box?
Saw on Youtube can use to play emulator games.

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://shopee.sg/product/2015845/5637539?smtt=0.0.9

Minix NEO T5 at S$99 can be a pretty good buy if you do not need Netflix HD support. It is a Google Certified Android TV OS device with S905X2 CPU, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage, Gigabit Ethernet and AC WiFi.

Review.
https://androidpctv.com/review-minix-neo-t5-opinion/

BTW, the official distributor of Minix is selling the Neo T5 at higher price.
Certified and no Netflix hd support?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I not new user. Hmmmm. No experience with Android TV. Can side load existing apk?

Yes you can. But better get boxes with 2GB RAM. I would not recommend the 1080p Mi TV Stick with only 1GB RAM.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried using Android box as game console or KTV box?
Saw on Youtube can use to play emulator games.

Yes you can. For Android Game, best is Nvidia Shield TV 2019 Pro edition.

For lower cost option, you can also try Amlogic S922X based box like Beelink GT-King (about S$140) or GT-King Pro (about S$200). The pro version has better audio.

For KTV, any decent box should do, but you may need the proper Soundbar or AV receiver/speaker setup.

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes you can. But better get boxes with 2GB RAM. I would not recommend the 1080p Mi TV Stick with only 1GB RAM.
I only need 1080.
I bought 4Gb s905x3 boxes recently, working ok, no netflix HD though.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.