Android TV Box

CPTMiller

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All these media tv box, if govt order telco block connections to them, then become useless already right?

Government cannot block physical all android TV box.
Same logic they cannot block the samsung S8 phone all together even if they not happy with samsung.
It all depend what apps we are using on the hardware.
So government can target those apps.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
For Chinese live TV apps, you can use 超级直播,电视家,etc.

For VOD, you can use imahua麻花影视 and many other apps.

Dangbei market or Shafa market got lots of apps but take note many top VOD apps like 腾讯视频 or 爱奇艺 may need VPN and may need to pay for VIP to have best experiences.

Ref here: for iPhone but also of some value to Android. Of course Android got many more choices than iOS for Chinese Entertainment.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

Thanks! Will be looking out for Mibox S on qoo10 now :s13:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Chinese live TV apps, you can use 超级直播,电视家,etc.

For VOD, you can use imahua麻花影视 and many other apps.

Dangbei market or Shafa market got lots of apps but take note many top VOD apps like 腾讯视频 or 爱奇艺 may need VPN and may need to pay for VIP to have best experiences.

Ref here: for iPhone but also of some value to Android. Of course Android got many more choices than iOS for Chinese Entertainment.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

The latest 麻花影视 tv version allows log-in directly from tv box.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
During IT Show i still see some selling Android TV box at $169. Business as usual.

thenakedshades

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have issues trying to chromcast from Toggle app to inbox s? I tried on 2 phones, my tv will turn black, like crash or something.

Any help? Thanks

qualcom

Reaction score
Hi

using XiaoMi MiBox S International (official with netflix version)
*not china one

i am using it with Singtel TV Go app directly on the box
*install from google store
.. no need to cast or anything

any issues with mibox S?
do you recommend it? my uses are mainly netflix, viu and paid iptv apps

qualcom

Reaction score
Anyone using AC Ryan 4K Ultra tv box here? any known issues ?
i'm thinking of getting it with m1's broadband offer.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any issues with mibox S?
do you recommend it? my uses are mainly netflix, viu and paid iptv apps

If you need Netflix and Viu, official Google certified Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are the best choice along with Google Chromecast dongles.

As for your iptv please check your provider. Most of them should support Mi Box S unless they do not support Android 8.

Mi Box S has Netflix 4K support and built-in support of Chromecast 4K function. It also costs less than Chromecast Ultra.

The official supported way to watch Viu on TV is through Chromecast for Android device or Apple TV Airplay for iOS device.
https://www.viu.com/ott/sg/en-us/copyright-statement/tips

4. Can I watch the shows on TV?
Yes, only Viu Premium members would be able to enjoy their favourite Asian entertainment in full HD on their TV.

However, do note that TV rights are only applicable for selected shows on:
- Selected Samsung Smart TV or;

- Casting via Google Chromecast for Android devices & via AirPlay on Apple TV for iOS devices only. Laptop/PC to TV is not supported.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using AC Ryan 4K Ultra tv box here? any known issues ?
i'm thinking of getting it with m1's broadband offer.

it should not be classified as offer.

you can get a comparable box from lazada for 1/3 the price.

or get a much much better box, such as "mibox s", at about $70-$80.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
I bought a Mi Box S, is there a way to open the "recent app"? So i can close the app.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wanna get a mibox but lazada got so many types, which is the right one to get?

Check for description "Mi Box S" and model number MDZ-22-AB.

Price is higher now at around S$80-90 from a quick look at Lazada.

Previously this shop in Lazada had some good offer to be around S$70-76 but now it is higher at S$83 and has 5% discount coupon.

https://s.lazada.sg/s.d3yC

Another shop in Qoo10 was selling it at S$75 with an S$5 coupon to make it S$70 but again now the price is higher at S$88.

https://m.qoo10.sg/item/XIAOMI-FAST...XIAOMI-MI-TV-BOX-S-ANDROID-TV-8-1/638328418=;

Always check with the shop to confirm before buying.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
http://www.bee-link.com/Beelink-MiniPC-TV-BOX-127-1.html

Beelink claims support of Netflix 4k with their new Android TV OS based box Beelink GT1-A, new addition to their popular S912 box GT 1 Ultimate.

However I do not think this is certified by Google. So I do not think this is worth buying.

They also have the lower end S905X2 based box GT1 Mini which seems to have good review.

S912 is better than S905x2 in terms of 3d benchmark, which is not relevant for video playback.

The CPU and user experience benchmark of S905X2 is higher than S912.

If not playing games, S905X2 is better than S912.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
S912 is better than S905x2 in terms of 3d benchmark, which is not relevant for video playback.

The CPU and user experience benchmark of S905X2 is higher than S912.

If not playing games, S905X2 is better than S912.

Yes the reviews are good for S905X2. You get better connectivity and larger memory support and newer Android version than S912.

I am ordering the Tanix TX5 from Taobao (4GB/32GB, S905X2, Gigabit Ethernet, Dual band 2x2 AC WiFi, USB 3.0) to see if it is really good compared to my H96 Pro Plus S912 box (3GB/32GB version, gigabit Ethernet, Dual Band WiFi, Android 7.1, no USB 3.0). I have pretty positive experiences with the H96 Pro Plus.

It is just Beelink positions the GT1 Mini lower than the two brothers GT1 Ultimate and GT1-A.

Last edited:

qualcom

Reaction score
it should not be classified as offer.

you can get a comparable box from lazada for 1/3 the price.

or get a much much better box, such as "mibox s", at about $70-$80.

didn't know which one was better. i was initially thinking ac ryan 4k ultra is better than mibox s.. but can't find any comparison reviews.

is mibox s really stable? i saw some reviews saying there are software issues and some issues with remote. but ac ryan can be worse of course.. can't even find a review.

Last edited:

qualcom

Reaction score
If you need Netflix and Viu, official Google certified Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are the best choice along with Google Chromecast dongles.

As for your iptv please check your provider. Most of them should support Mi Box S unless they do not support Android 8.

Mi Box S has Netflix 4K support and built-in support of Chromecast 4K function. It also costs less than Chromecast Ultra.

The official supported way to watch Viu on TV is through Chromecast for Android device or Apple TV Airplay for iOS device.
https://www.viu.com/ott/sg/en-us/copyright-statement/tips

4. Can I watch the shows on TV?
Yes, only Viu Premium members would be able to enjoy their favourite Asian entertainment in full HD on their TV.

However, do note that TV rights are only applicable for selected shows on:
- Selected Samsung Smart TV or;

- Casting via Google Chromecast for Android devices & via AirPlay on Apple TV for iOS devices only. Laptop/PC to TV is not supported.

thanks for the details. how about the stability of the device? any software issues ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for the details. how about the stability of the device? any software issues ?

All device will have software issues.

Feedbacks for Nvidia Shield TV are in general positive, except the lack of Dolby Atmos support under Netflix.

Feedbacks for Mi Box S can be mostly positive but you need to remember it is a low end device mainly meant for general streaming apps. Do not expect high end feature like Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos. Lack of Ethernet can be an issue for reliable streaming but the wireless performance is said to be good as long as you do not put it far away from router.

I myself am not a user of official Android TV OS device. I bought older ChromeCast 1st gen dongle and Apple TV 3rd gen before I started to play with Android TV boxes. And I am not using apps like Netflix. So I am actually using other generic boxes with better HW spec than Mi Box S but running generic mobile version of Android.

So take a pint of salt with my comments as well...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.