HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree466Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #1006

i got a Mi Box S yesterday evening with above huawen TV installed. works great. i think picture quality better than those i saw in SLS. thanks for the info.
Glad that it works for you.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #1007

why not use your phone and send the video to TV
AXOvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #1008

tried out the http://www.5itv.tv/ app on my phone. It is good, but lacking live channels on documentaries (National Geo, Animal Planet, BBC, Discovery)
I wonder if there is any app to show these documentaries?

I wonder how is the Unblocktech Ubox live channels going. Any idea where to view to test it out? I see that there is a shop at Clementi Mall selling Ubox.

If I get the Mi BOX S. What other app is good please?
(legally approved by China or not is ok)

I saw this kylintv app (which M1 is also selling). All Chinese channels, and already $15 per month. Might as well get Starhub Go Box.
http://www.kylintv.com/kylintv/home

Forget about any boxes from Sim Lim.

RAM is important 2GB is recommended.
Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

5Ghz wifi is good but you can use Ethernet as well.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

http://www.5itv.tv/
jinkyongann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #1009
Master Member

tried out the http://www.5itv.tv/ app on my phone. It is good, but lacking live channels on documentaries (National Geo, Animal Planet, BBC, Discovery)

I wonder how is the Unblocktech Ubox live channels going. Any idea where to view to test it out? I see that there is a shop at Clementi Mall selling Ubox.

I saw this kylintv app (which M1 is also selling). All Chinese channels, and already $15 per month. Might as well get Starhub Go Box.
China doesn't charge for their free to air TV and satellite TV channels.

There are plenty of free and good apps for china's CCTVs and satellite TV channels.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #1010
Supremacy Member

And SLS is charging for those app installed?

China doesn't charge for their free to air TV and satellite TV channels.

There are plenty of free and good apps for china's CCTVs and satellite TV channels.
Kwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #1011

No comments on KylinTV.

For the few documentay channels you mentioned like National Geography and Discovery, the only legitimate way I know of now is to subscribe to SingTel TV or Starhub TV.

I will not touch Unblock Tech box because its live TV program UBTV is officially deemed as illegal in Singapore and the high court has already ordered ISPs to block it. Even though there is known workaround for the ISP block, I will not touch it myself.
jinkyongann likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 10-01-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #1012
Master Member

And SLS is charging for those app installed?

yes. SLS is not a good place to get tv box.

good and free apps can be download from internet easily.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #1013
Master Member

What apps are good to watch movies or tv drama? Can the apps be downloaded on Mi Box S?
thenakedshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #1014

What apps are good to watch movies or tv drama? Can the apps be downloaded on Mi Box S?
The apps are many, depending on your needs. For example, Netflix is a popular legal paid streaming service for English entertainment. It comes with Mi Box S.

There are many other apps you can install as well from the Google Play store in the Mi Box S. If the apps are not available you can most likely side load. For some exceptions like Starhub Go, you can use your mobile phone to cast to TV through Mi Box S' built-in Chromecast function.
Old 13-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #1015
High Supremacy Member

Any recommendation for elderly, mandarin - friendly kind of GUI?

Currently using the xiaomi first gen one, very old already, and a lot apps are not working and lags alot.

Thanks in advance.
The Big Bang Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #1016

Any recommendation for elderly, mandarin - friendly kind of GUI?

Currently using the xiaomi first gen one, very old already, and a lot apps are not working and lags alot.

Thanks in advance.
Mi Box S has the Android TV interface and it should be pretty simple to use.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #1017
Master Member

just ordered the mi box s on qoo10. hopefully i know how to setup. lol...

got any quick tips? it will be used with a mi tv 4a.
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #1018

As the Android Tv box Playstore apps are limited, does the side loaded apps function the same as Android box(mobile)?

Can all apps be sideloaded to Android Tv box similar to Android box(mobile)?
Kikstyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #1019

As the Android Tv box Playstore apps are limited, does the side loaded apps function the same as Android box(mobile)?

Can all apps be sideloaded to Android Tv box similar to Android box(mobile)?
There are a few exceptions like TVB Anywhere and Starhub Go which are said to have problems for official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV ( most likely due to the fact that Starhub and TVB have their OEM boxes running OEM version of Android TV OS). For Starhub Go you can cast to the TV through the built-in ChromeCast function of the official Android TV OS device.

Most of the apps commonly used should be either available from the Android TV Google Play Store or can be easily sideloaded.
Old 14-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #1020

just ordered the mi box s on qoo10. hopefully i know how to setup. lol...

got any quick tips? it will be used with a mi tv 4a.
Maybe this one. Use ES Explorer for quick side loading of apps.
http://blog.evomailserver.com/how-to...ion-mdz-16-ab/
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.