HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree454Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #1336
Master Member

I'm using official tho but downloaded the apk instead and yes I'm located in sg. My box is A95X.
you have to use phone to watch. it will stop you from watching if it knows that it is not a phone.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #1337

I'm using official tho but downloaded the apk instead and yes I'm located in sg. My box is A95X.
Not so sure what you mean by downloaded the app instead. Toggle app is available from Google Play Store.

But indeed Toggle is not guaranteed to work on TV boxes as it is designed for phones. And with the HBO content added to Toggle it may beef up the protection.

Worst is still TVB Anywhere SG. Toggle at least supports ChromeCast.

FYI Toggle still works for my TV boxes, just tried it under my H96 Pro+. I use a mouse with the app.
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #1338

Does live channels (eg. Channel 8) works on ur TV box?

Not so sure what you mean by downloaded the app instead. Toggle app is available from Google Play Store.

But indeed Toggle is not guaranteed to work on TV boxes as it is designed for phones. And with the HBO content added to Toggle it may beef up the protection.

Worst is still TVB Anywhere SG. Toggle at least supports ChromeCast.

FYI Toggle still works for my TV boxes, just tried it under my H96 Pro+. I use a mouse with the app.
cottoncloud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 07:07 PM   #1339

Does live channels (eg. Channel 8) works on ur TV box?
Yes, Channel 8 works fine.
Old 16-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #1340

U downloaded the app from playstore?

Yes, Channel 8 works fine.
cottoncloud123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #1341

U downloaded the app from playstore?
Yes. From Play Store.

But as already mentioned, Toggle is not guaranteed to work on Android TV boxes. It is designed for phone. So it is normal if your generic box does not work with Toggle. In fact it also warns about potential incompatibility issues with my boxes but it happens to work on my boxes as of now.

Last edited by xiaofan; 16-03-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Old 17-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #1342

Thanks for the advice! Now wait for Mibox user to advise. Mibox is easily more than $100 cheaper than Apple TV. And...we really foresee the kids using most of it. IT show I will check online prices see what discounts will run on Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee and will get device this week.
Yes there is a confirmation that SingTel Cast works directly from Mi Box S.

So we have confirmation that SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast work on Mi Box S, without the needs to use Chromecast from mobile phone. Same for Nvidia Shield TV.

Take note Starhub Go does not work under Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV. You needs to use your mobile phone to cast to TV with the built-in support of Google Chromecast in Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV. Same for Toggle. But Toggle might work on some generic boxes, no guarantee though. So better using a phone and cast to TV.

TVB Anywhere SG will not work on TV boxes. Previous version could work on some generic boxes but now it detects external display and throw out error message.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 17-03-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Old 18-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #1343
Master Member

pls recommend a reliable source to buy the Beelink GT1 Mini.
kiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 07:15 AM   #1344

pls recommend a reliable source to buy the Beelink GT1 Mini.
Lazada should be okay. Price seems to be around S$80 to S$110 depending on the configuration, 2GB/32GB, 4GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB.

Make sure you understand what you are buying. Buying this box means you will not get Netflix HD (you will get only 480p) and no support of Chromecast. It is a good box based on reviews if you do not need such capabilities.

If you need Netflix HD, you have to go for Mi Box S or Amazon Fire Stick 4k at sub S$100 price range, you actually get Netflix 4k.

If you need Netflix HD and Chromecast the the only choice is Mi Box S or the older Mi Box Global version at sub S$100 range.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-03-2019 at 07:54 AM..
Old 18-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #1345

FYI the IPTV box from mainland China and Taiwan are mostly based on Amlogic CPU or HiSilicon (Huawel IC subsidiary).

Ref: https://zh.m.wikipedia.org/zh-sg/中華電信MOD
Latest 5th gen Chunghwa Telecom MOD boxes are with Hi3798MV200 CPU, 2GB RAM and 8GB storage and Android 7. Seems to be decent for its purpose.

Many mainland China IPTV/OTT box by the telecom operators are with Amlogic S905L (same class as Mi Box S, similar to S905X) but with only 1GB memory and 8GB storage. There are also quite a lot of boxes based on Hisilcon ICs with same 1GB/8GB configuration, many of them are still running Android 4.4. They are locked down system to run a few apps only. But there are hacks on various website to add Dangbei or Shafa market to add more apps. The problem is with the 1GB memory, so it is better to remove Dangbei/Shafa market after finished with the setup.

In Taobao such boxes are being sold at S$18-S$24 (RMB 90- RMB 120), but they are not recommended because of lower RAM and old Android 4.4 version. They also do not have Google play store or Google services as Google services are not available in mainland China.

BTW there are also a lot of better spec boxes in Taobao from Xiaomi, Huawei, Huawei Honor, HiMedia, etc, but they are meant for the mainland China market. So do not buy them. For one thing they will have no Google Play Market.

All in all Taobao is not a good place to buy Android TV Boxes unless you know what you want to buy. For example Mi Box S has very little presence in Taobao and the price is higher than Lazada/Shower/Qoo10.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-03-2019 at 01:41 PM..
Old 18-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #1346

Hi xianfan,
May I know those TV boxes in taobao like KM9, magicsee n5 and n6 max etc, do you recommend them to buy and use in sg as a hdisk player to play movie from portable hd? Thank you.

FYI the IPTV box from mainland China and Taiwan are mostly based on Amlogic CPU or HiSilicon (Huawel IC subsidiary).

Ref: https://zh.m.wikipedia.org/zh-sg/中華電信MOD
Latest 5th gen Chunghwa Telecom MOD boxes are with Hi3798MV200 CPU, 2GB RAM and 8GB storage and Android 7. Seems to be decent for its purpose.

Many mainland China IPTV/OTT box by the telecom operators are with Amlogic S905L (same class as Mi Box S, similar to S905X) but with only 1GB memory and 8GB storage. There are also quite a lot of boxes based on Hisilcon ICs with same 1GB/8GB configuration, many of them are still running Android 4.4. They are locked down system to run a few apps only. But there are hacks on various website to add Dangbei or Shafa market to add more apps. The problem is with the 1GB memory, so it is better to remove Dangbei/Shafa market after finished with the setup.

In Taobao such boxes are being sold at S$18-S$24 (RMB 90- RMB 120), but they are not recommended because of lower RAM and old Android 4.4 version. They also do not have Google play store or Google services as Google services are not available in mainland China.
geotowf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #1347

Hi xianfan,
May I know those TV boxes in taobao like KM9, magicsee n5 and n6 max etc, do you recommend them to buy and use in sg as a hdisk player to play movie from portable hd? Thank you.
Hmm your Taobao is different from my Taobao...

I see only a few listing for Mecool KM9 with a few buyers only and very few listing for Magicsee N5 or N6 Max with zero buyers (Edit: 1 buyer for N6 Max). These types of boxes are mainly meant for export or so called 外贸盒子.

Magicsee N6 Max is a high end box based on RK3399 and it is considered as overkill for streaming purpose. For local media consumption it has a good point of USB 3 support but no so sure it can support enough current for your portable HDD.

Magicsee N5 is a low end S905 box but should be okay for streaming or even local media consumption. Not so sure whether it can provide enough power to your portable HDD though.

Mecool KM9 is based on new S905X2 but it runs an unofficial Android TV OS with no support of Netflix HD and no Chromecast support -- which defeats the purpose of using Android TV OS. It has good thing like USB 3.0 support but not so sure if it can supply enough current for your portable HDD.

I think all three will work if you use an external powered desktop type HDD or NAS. I myself use only streaming.

For HDD local media consumption, you may want to look at things like Zidoo X9S which has good review and support adding HDD. Zidoo has other higher end stuff as well. It is also okay for streaming as long as you do not need Netflix. It has official Tmall shop as well.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-03-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Old 18-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #1348
Master Member

Hi xianfan,
cheaper and better to buy from lazada or shopee.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 18-03-2019, 05:39 PM   #1349

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, much appreciated..
I am old generation ah peh so not sure about all this IT stuffs. I have number of portable hd 2 to 4 T have many movies. But those are no power supply type so a bit worry about the box may not support. I ALREADY HAVE 3 BOXES AT HOME BUT ONLY Ig ram so start up and operation is slow.
I di consider x9 or z9...I have Sony TV so no issue with Netflix and YouTube...
I do plan for Chinese movie from mainland but guess when the government pass the rule all will be stop so not sure how.
Thanks again...I guess s9 is not that expensive. I understand those boxes I name not much buyer but I only look into their HW only...

cheaper and better to buy from lazada or shopee.
geotowf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #1350
Master Member

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, much appreciated..
I am old generation ah peh so not sure about all this IT stuffs. I have number of portable hd 2 to 4 T have many movies. But those are no power supply type so a bit worry about the box may not support. I ALREADY HAVE 3 BOXES AT HOME BUT ONLY Ig ram so start up and operation is slow.
I di consider x9 or z9...I have Sony TV so no issue with Netflix and YouTube...
I do plan for Chinese movie from mainland but guess when the government pass the rule all will be stop so not sure how.
Thanks again...I guess s9 is not that expensive. I understand those boxes I name not much buyer but I only look into their HW only...
don't bluff, old generation ah peh knows how to buy using taobao? many youngsters also don't know how to do it.

by the way

you can connect your hd to your sony tv.

if you are only interested to play movies from hd, your existing 3 boxes should be good enough.

what you need to do is a factory reset, so that all those useless app installed previously are removed, most likely the slowness of the box is caused by these apps.

to make it even faster, you can disable google play services and playstore.

what you need is only 2 apps - file manager and media player.

I suggest es file explorer and mx player.
bumperbee likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.